Reform 1745 ~ German Student Piston Filler

OldGriz

First Impressions 5/5
I bought this pen from Eric Zamir on the Market Place
I had always been interested in the Reforms and this was a fantastic price to see what they are like.
I would classify the pen as an inexpensive Student pen. A lot of these pens were made in Germany and this is a fine example of one.
It is a shame the US Manufacturers never got this part of their inventory as well done as the Germans did.

Appearance 4/5
The pen has a green body with a black piston fill end cap and a black cap with gold trim...
All in all father attractive in a minimalistic way

Design 5/5
The pen measures 5.1" capped and 5.86" posted.
Diameter is .390" at the body and .340" at the section... not much of a taper at all. A Pelikan 200 measures .460" at the body and .360" at the section.
This pen is noticeably thinner, but not so much to be uncomfortable.

Nib 5/5
The nib is two tone gold plated steel and fine. It writes a true fine line about 6/10 wetness with the Waterman Black ink.
What is surprising is that even though this is a steel nibbed student pen and I expected it to be a real nail, there is a bit of flex if you push on it a bit...
Not much, but enough to be a little interesting, if you do your part...
The nib also unscrews from the section like a Pelikan. Unfortunately, it will not take a Pelikan nib.

Filling System 5/5
What can you say, it is a German piston filler... no one does that better.
The piston was a bit stiff, but once I flushed out the system it smoothed out and filled well...

Cost and Value 5/5
I paid $25.00 including shipping for two of these pens. Eric lives in Italy and the pens arrived in just a couple of day...
I would say the pens are more than worth the money I paid for them...

Conclusion 29/30
Unfortunately, this pen is no longer made.
If Eric has any more of these pens, I would definitely recommend grabbing 2 of them...
They are going to make a good every day knock around pen that holds a bunch of ink...
These would be a good deal for any student who needs to take a load of notes during the day.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lexaf

• Have Fun

• garyc

• SammyZadgan

Yes, Reforms are indeed nice pens, amazing quality/price ratio. It's very hard to find true piston fillers at this price level. I have two Reforms myself and I bought them because I wanted to try this filling system before buying a more expensive Pelikan-branded instrument.

Very informative review. I like piston-filler pens and this one sounds like a very good value.

On the black Waterman ink, it looks a bit bluish from the scan, is that really the case? I'm interested in black inks with a hint of blue.

You are what you write

More than you are what you say

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

-----------------------------------

- No affiliation with any vendors or manufacturers mentioned above.

- Edits done for grammatical purposes only.

• 4 weeks later...

Hoi,

if you're interested in this fountain pen, someone sells them currently on Ebay. Reform 1745 FP

I've just bought mine yesterday: 2 new fps at 8,50 Euro - with shipping!

2 Super Reform Kobenfüller

Iridiumfeder

Verkaufe zwei unbenutzte Reform Kolbenfüller Nr. 1745 mit Iridiumfeder. Zustand ist neuwertig. Die Füller befinden sich in einen Top Zustand. Deutscher Hersteller. Länge ca. 13cm. Über Alter kann ich leider nichts genaueres aussagen. Ich denke so zwischen 10 und 20 Jahre alt. Füller stammen aus einem Lagerbestand. Die Feder der Kolbenfüller sollte erst mit lauwarmem Wasser gespült werden, da sie mit Wachs meistens versiegelt wurde. Danach den Füller per Kolben, die Feder muss2/3 ihrer Länge in Tinte getaucht werden, aufziehen. Sollte es beim erstenmal nicht funktionieren ist dieser Vorgang mehrmals zu wiederholen.Versand kostet bei Inland bis zu 4 Auktionen auch nur 2€. Danach Maxibrief für 2,50€.

Let's try a summary in English:

• 2 REFORM 1745 piston filler with irdium pointed nib
  • pens are unused and in top condition (from a stock of inventory)
  • approx. 13 cm (5.2 inch ?)
  • age unnown, maybe 10-20 years
  • you should flush the nib first, because it could be sealed with a form of wax, then use the piston
I hope that helps.

- Harold

Please be patient - I'm not a native English speaker ... ergss, writer. Thankful for all comments, hints and advices to improve my language via PN. :)

Hello from Thuringia

Hi - Thanks for the kind words. My second shipment is going out tomorrow - sorry for the delay.

If enough people are interested, I think I can get another load (they come in boxes of 24).

Happy New Year!!!!Eric

BTW, my shipping cost to the US is around €5 (around $7.50), and the price quoted above was for shipping inside Germany by regular mail. I also pay for the padded envelope. So, if you are in Germany, grab that one! Otherwise, this is about the best I can do!

E.

Edited by eric.zamir

Still seeking the One Pen to Rule Them All...

Hi,

Been offered 4 of these by the ebay seller in Harold's post for 25 Euros, this is two more than I want. I am currently bidding on a couple on ebay and if I don't get them might be tempted.

Any UK buyers interested in one or two at what they cost me plus postage to you?

PM if you are and if I go ahead I will let you know.

Andy

• 2 months later...

Hi!

Nice review, I agree on all points.

I bought one on E-bay a few months ago for less than 10 euros s&h included.

For those who want to own one (or 2) also: Just search on E-bay on: "Reform 1745" and you wil get a list of lots of these pens still available offered by different, most German sellers. Average price is still about 10 Euro incl. s&h. Some sellers offer lots of 2 pieces.

Recommended!

Enjoy!

Lexaf

I got some of these from Eric and gave them to my PhD students. The impressions were generally favourable but the recipients are back to their previous writing implements.

I tried...

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

• 3 weeks later...

Just received my Reform 1745 from Lexaf

I was surprised it was so slim, the barell is 9.5mm & the grip 8.5 mm ~ this compares near exactly with the Lamy Linea

The real surprise is the weight ~ this pen is only 9 gram posted & 7 gram unposted.

Mine came with a fine nib ~ I've never had such a fine nib & I am stunned how small I can now write ~ I find the Lamy Fine is almost the same as the Lamy Medium Nib so I am a little shocked at the contrast. The slight variation in flex is interesting (I now must try the Medium & Bold nibs if I can get them)

Only had this for about an hour or so but the Balance & weight is making a big impression. I think its a superb little pen.

OK so I've had this pen for a few days now & find that the fine nib is very paper & ink dependent

On smooth white paper the fine nib is superb & is fast becoming a favourite but only if I use black ink. (Quink) The fine nib is equivalent to writing with a 0.25 rapidograph

With blue Quink I don't get sufficient contrast

If I use my rougher checked paper in my notebook the nib is not so effective.

So my conclusion thus far is ~ this pen is reserved for white smooth paper & or maybe I should get better notebooks.

NB I have since ordered 2 medium nib pens so will let you know my findings when they arrive, & I would love to try a bold or italic nib versions (Big Hint)

I also ordered a couple of these from a German seller on eBay about a month ago. They only came this week due to delay in having to post cash (yes I know) and the (admittedly v cheap) postage method taking a while.

I have only inked one with Diamine Umber so far (to match the green barrel). Its a remarkably smooth fine writer, if a little on the dry side. The pen itself is quite slimline, which I don't mind at all. In looks, its very similar (just thinner in proportion) to an old green Pelikan 140 I have. For 10 Euros for the pair, I don't think I culd have found a nicer pen for the price. The comments about the stiffness of the piston hold - I forgot to flush and just filled firectly with ink, but I will exercise/flush it on the next refill.

A month ???? Like you I sent cash - I happened to have 10 euros left from last years holiday so I worked this direct with him ....

A Month ???????? ................. I earmarked next Friday - guess I will re-learn patience again

A Bleedin Month ??????????????????? I am on the point of taking the postman hostage as it is

I also ordered and recieved from Lexaf -in 2 days!-. Perfect package and I could not believe how fast it came!. Yes, the pistons may be stiff, even stuck, but in the worst of cases silicon grease will solve all problems. These are incredible pens for the price!. I encourage all of you that wanted a piston filler but were held back by your pocket, to order one or two on the spot. Amazing little piston fillers with a sweet nib, these are. I'll try to post an addendum to OldGrizz in the coming days, but he has said already most of what is worth mentioning. Go order now.

A month ???? Like you I sent cash - I happened to have 10 euros left from last years holiday so I worked this direct with him ....

A Month ???????? ................. I earmarked next Friday - guess I will re-learn patience again

A Bleedin Month ??????????????????? I am on the point of taking the postman hostage as it is

I guess it took 3 weeks from the time it was posted to arriving. Easter did fall in between, but it was still a long time. Worth waiting for, though.

Thanks for the tip .. Actually I had a message from him yesterday saying that the pens were posted - not something I expected at this price level so full marks to him.

Highly Recommended

I tried smoothing out my Reform 1745 Fine on the weekend & to my total surprise I now have one of the nicest pens to use so please disregard any of my previous adverse comments on the Reform Fine & take Lexaf up on his offer ~ money would be well spent.

Also for anyone wanting Reform 1745 pens with Medium Nibs contact Herbert Steidl he sells these on German ebay & I just received his permission to give out his e mail address

Like I said above I've ordered 2 from him & think I'm getting a good service at an excellent price. Correspondence may take a bit longer as his son answers in English for him. As far as I know he doesn't take Paypal. (I sent cash Euro in paper money)

Anyway here is his contact e mail if anyone is interested ~ steidlherby (at) web.de .... you know what to do with the @ & the spacing

Good Luck

Edited by Have Fun

Highly Recommended

I tried smoothing out my Reform 1745 Fine on the weekend & to my total surprise I now have one of the nicest pens to use so please disregard any of my previous adverse comments on the Reform Fine & take Lexaf up on his offer ~ money would be well spent.

Well thank you again for the nice comments and the recommendation! :clap1:

I just have a very few of these nice little pens left ( 4 only :crybaby: ) but maybe I can find just one more batch. But I'm afraid my source will be running dry soon also.

I'll let you all know if I managed to replenish my stock! :unsure:

:eureka: Lexaf

Assume you have 3 left .. PM sent

Thanks HaveFun, you were just in time!

Have fun with your pens and enjoy learning the skill to smooth the nibs by reqrinding them yourself! It can save you a lot of endeavor and trouble (and money) especially with expensive pens. It's not uncommon that you must exchange a valuable (golden) nib a few times before you obtain one that really 'fits'. Once you can modify the nibs to your own liking you do not depend on the sometimes exorbitantly high prices some of the big brands charge for their high end pens and nibs (apart from their other excellent qualities of course).

Sold another 2 Reforms in the meantime, so there's just one left at the moment! :crybaby:

But ,dear penfriens, do not despair! I'm expecting another batch (I hope 24) this coming week! :thumbup:

But these will probably the last ones.

Cheers,

Lexaf