Tame-nuri!

KendallJ

Well, that pen slot I was saving for a Dani-Trio pen is going to get filled. I just sent off to Kevin for a Dani Trio tame nuri pen. Wooo hooo.

My pen arrived two days ago, and I've had a chance to use it. For those of you who read my Nakaya review here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...indpost&p=23044

I'll compare the two pens (since I didn't put ratings on the original review.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/justiniano/dani2.jpg

1. Overall design 5* vs. Nakaya 5*

Stunning. That is the word. I have seen pictures of teh tame-nuri urushi lacquer and was unsure if I would like the finish in person. I'm not normally a "brown" sort of person. But I have to say the finish is wonderful. As good as my Nakaya. The tame-nuri is made by mixing red and black urushi lacquers and then coating with a clear urushi over the top. The depth of color varies with the curve of the lines of the pen so that the shape is accentulated. I am told the finish also ages with time and becomes deeper.

2. Size / Weight 5* vs. Nakaya 4*

The pen is BIG. Only an inch shorter than my Nakaya, and maybe 1/4 inch longer than a Pel 800. It is the same size as my Namiki Bamboo, and Custom Impressions, although the tamenuri is much fatter. The pen comes with a very simple clip and it is a nice pocket pen, unlike my Nakaya which is a case pen only and too big for the pocket. Beautiful simple cigar shape, and a large 2 tone Dani Trio "T" nib.

Construction material is ebonite (hard rubber) so it is very light, and suitable for long stretches of writing.

3. Nib 5* vs. Nakaya 5*

I was a little worried about the nib at first. I stuck in an INternational cart and started journalling. After a bit, the pen starved. Also the sweet spot seemed a little small. Emailed Kevin and he indicated that there could be oils in the feed, as they use a lot of oil to polish the urushi. So a flush with 409 solution and converter this time. Voila! Problem solved. The nib is wonderful. Wet, ample flow and a very large sweet spot. Smooth as silk. The nib has just a tad of flex, although not as much as the nakaya "soft medium". I got a medium nib and it writes sort of a Fine Medium, a little wider than I expected. I really like the line variation the nib has, and the shading it produces on the page is quite pronounced.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/justiniano/Dani1.jpg

4. Filling Mechanism 3* vs. Nakaya 3*

Cart/Converter fill. uggh. At least it is international sized so it has the broadest range of cart compatibility. karin turned hers into an ED, and I may or may not. The bore fo the barrel is rather small, but woudl still hold a lot of ink.

5. Fit / Finish 4* vs. Nakaya 5*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/justiniano/dani3.jpg

Really nice finish on the pen. The urushi is beautiful. The pens threads however are not lacquered allowing for a nice tight tolerance to the cap - very nice. I'm a stickler in teh finish of my cap threads and the feel of the pen as you screw the cap on and off. My only complaint is the small amount of lacquer that smudged onto the threads, but other than this, it is a superb pen.

I don't know what the kanji on the section represent, but I assume they are craftsmen's marks

6. Overall value 3* Nakaya 3*

Same price as the Nakaya, $390, but Dani Trio's prices are going up (or already have) so I don't think you'll be able to get this pen at this price again. "value"? no, but work of art, "yes". This is the only justification you can make for the price.

Now for some Maki-e.

Edited by KendallJ

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KendallJ

• TheNobleSavage

• Karin

• Maja

Thanks Kendall,

So are you getting the Mikado or the smaller Tamenuri. I have both and still love them. I`ve converted the smaller one into an eydropper as well. I`m enjoying it and the Kara nuri much more as ED`s than CC`s. The ink flow is fantastic.

Regards,

Karin

Fountain Pen Abundance

Smaller one. C/C. I don't understand how the mechanism works on the Mikado, so just figured I could convert to ED if I really wanted to. But I'm happy for a C/C

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Kendal, really looking forward to your review.

I've had my eye on a tame-nuri since July but I can't seem to make up my mind between Nakaya or a Danitrio. The best part is that i've managed to hold out with the available funds sitting in Paypal from a number of pens that Ive sold over the past few months.

My third option is to keep saving until I have enough for a Namiki maki-e. :blink:

Congrats KendallJ,

I really love the color of that pen, it is just so cool looking!! I just bought a Dani Trio Trial pen from Kevin. It is the same size and design as the Mikado to include the eyedropper and shutoff valve, 18kt gold medium width, 2 tone flexy nib. The big difference is that the Trial pen has no Urushi or Maki e on it. It is strictly an ebonite pen. I would have probobly never have bought the ones with urushi or maki e due to the fact that they are a bit too much for my budget and I am also a practical fountain pen user. I know I would chip the urushi and ruin the overall appearance of the pen. Plus I like to post my cap and that is considered a "no no" to maki e and urushi pens. I would be too afraid to leave the house with this pen, knowing my luck!!! Even though I do have my heart set on a Dani Trio Ban-ei one of these days!!! I have been looking for a pen like this but without all the maki e on it. Not to say I dont like it because I would be lying. Dani Trio has some of the most fantastic looking designs on thier maki e and urushi pens.

Now in regards to how the filling system works on this particular type of eyedropper pen, I had the same questions about the shut off valve and the tail. The diagram didnt match up with the instruction. Kevin sent me the Dani Trio website that has the instructions but I was still confused. Well the diagram didnt completely match up with the written instructions. So I emailed Kevin and I asked some questions, So here is the instructions along with Kevin's explanation in an email he sent me. I hope thsi helps, OBTW, I will post a review on this penas soon as I get some more writing time, hopefully by sometime next week or the week after. I have to make sure the pen works and I have filled it and ran through the ink a few times.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/ap/mikadocopy.jpg

(1) Unscrew the front section.

(2) Fill with ink up to the lower edge of the stopper.

(3) Screw the front section back tightly.

(4) Loosen by unscrewing the tail 1 mm- 2 mm (1/32"-2/32") wide to allow ink to enter the front section for writing.

Caution: If the tail is opened too wide, it may cause ink to overflow over the nib.

(5) After use, hold the pen upward and screw back the tail tight. The ink stopper will block the ink flow. And the pen should be closed with the cap tightly.

Caution:

(1) You may leave the pen with the nib horizontally and the tail open when you don't write, but the pen should not be left with the nib downward and the tail open while stop writing.

(2) The tail and the cap should be kept tight at all times when you have the pen in the pocket or left on the desk.

Ok, here is the email that clarifies the instructions.

ED with safety shut off is a pure Japanese invention.  Sorry if the web page confuse you, but you are right, you don't want to pull the rod extended like that.  The picture on the right just to show you different parts.

So, in short, fill the pen with knob shut (closed position), don't fill to the brim.  screw on section.  Once ready to write, open the knob for about 1mm to 2mm to allow ink flow to the section.  It's OK to keep the knob at open position in your pocket.  At the end of the day, then tighten the knob to close postition again to shut off ink flow to the section.  Pretty soon, this will be come a "ritual".  Many pentracer love this kind of daily ritual :-)

The feed is ebonite, and can soak up a lot of ink.  The very first time you open the knob, it will take a while for the ink to flow.  To speed up this process, I usually open the know to 1mm to 2mm and soak the nib and feed in the ink for like good 5 second to soak up the feed.  You only need to do this the very first time.

I hope this helps!!!

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

So this is eseentially a 2 compartment ED, with a divider to allow you to "turn the pen on" and "off"?

And how is it sealed at the bottom knob? That's what worries me most. Most ED you seal at the section threads.

Hmmm. Doesnt' Visconti have a 2 compartment system for this reason as well.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

I am sure it probobly has a rubber seal and or gaskets, BUT.... from what Kevin said, you do NOT completely unscrew the tail and pull it out as you would do with a Sheaffer Vacuum filler or a touchdown filler. They show that in the diagram to show you all the parts that are inside the pen. This is the question I had when I first ordered the pen. Thats where Kevin's email came in handy and thats why I posted it under the instructions. All you need to do when you want to write is to turn the tail about 1 1/2 turns to open the ink flow stopper. If the flow is not enough, then you can turn it a little more to open it up and if it is too much then turn it the opposite way to close it down. When I am done writing, I always close the ink stopper.

Now as for the seal inside the barrel that keeps the ink from pouring out the tail end, I wouldnt worry about it. In all reality, I have only seen very few piston mechanisims go belly up. Especially on a Pelikan, The only piston fillers I have seen that have failed is some that were built in the 40's!! I am sure rubber gaskets and seals have greatly improved over time since the 1940's. I think there are less moving parts in this eyedropper than in a conventional piston filling pen. But who knows, I could be wrong. I own roughly 20 piston filling pens and I only have seen one of mine fail and it wasnt due to a bad piston, it was due to a bad barrel, it was warped so there was no seal at all. That gace my inky fingers!!

I was looking at the pen and I opened the section from the barrel as if I were to fill it and I twisted the rear tail and the rubber mechanisim moves further down the barrel when you unscrew the tail counter clockwise as if you were getting ready to write. Now when you are at the closed position, the rubber mechanisim it at the very top of the inside of the barred, which creates a tight seal. I am rambling on but I would say you have nothing to fear with this kind of filling system. It seems pretty rock solid but I do not have much experience at all with Dani Trio but I am sure Kevin does and maybe he can answer your questions better than I ever could :D

TNS

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

The pen looks fabulous, Kendall! Please post a review of it here on FPN, if you can :)

Very late edit: I just noticed that you will be posting your review here... :doh: :blush:

Edited by Maja

I'm not sure how the Japanese cut off filler works but I have three of them and no problems at all. When I first got the Mikado, I put a little silicone grease on the nib section and it's been fine. No leaks at all. I have an older Webster Japanese ED that leaks all over the place. I'm going to perform surgery and cut off the rod and glue the top shut. This is what Russ Stutler recommends if you don't want to fiddle with an actual repair of the system.

C'mon Kendall go for a Mikado ;)

Fountain Pen Abundance

Hi Kendall,

Congratulations with a great new pen, and thanks for sharing those pics!

A late reply, I guess, but still catching up on the happenings here :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Congrats KendallJ,

I really love the color of that pen, it is just so cool looking!! I just bought a Dani Trio Trial pen from Kevin. It is the same size and design as the Mikado to include the eyedropper and shutoff valve, 18kt gold medium width, 2 tone flexy nib. The big difference is that the Trial pen has no Urushi or Maki e on it. It is strictly an ebonite pen.

DOes Dani Trio sell the ebonite Mikado at a reasonable price. I would love to get a large eyedropper but just can't justify the price of the normal lacquered version.

Always hopeful

Kurt H

Great review, Kendall! Before I checked out this thread, I remembered that you had another Japanese pen that looked a bit similar to the Tame-nuri...and voila! It was the Nakaya....Use them both in good health :)

Congrats KendallJ,

I really love the color of that pen, it is just so cool looking!!  I just bought a Dani Trio Trial pen from Kevin.  It is the same size and design as the Mikado to include the eyedropper and shutoff valve, 18kt gold medium width, 2 tone flexy nib.  The big difference is that the Trial pen has no Urushi or Maki e on it.  It is strictly an ebonite pen.

DOes Dani Trio sell the ebonite Mikado at a reasonable price. I would love to get a large eyedropper but just can't justify the price of the normal lacquered version.

Always hopeful

Kurt H

Hi Kurt,

The raw ebonite does come in the big Mikado size. ;)

Kev

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Hey Kevin, can you confirm the nature of teh Kanji on the pen section?

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Hi Kendall,

Thanks for a great review!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Great review! What a gorgeous pen!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Congrats KendallJ,

I really love the color of that pen, it is just so cool looking!!  I just bought a Dani Trio Trial pen from Kevin.  It is the same size and design as the Mikado to include the eyedropper and shutoff valve, 18kt gold medium width, 2 tone flexy nib.  The big difference is that the Trial pen has no Urushi or Maki e on it.  It is strictly an ebonite pen.

Always hopeful

Kurt H

Hey there Kurt,

I just completed a review on my new Mikado Ebonite, you might want to check it out. I paid $150.00 for mine from Winedoc. I am not sure if they are going to make anymore or not. This was just a test run but it proved to be a very popular business decision for DaniTrio. You might want to get a hold of Winedoc to see if you can still order one.

TNS

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Hey there Kurt,

I just completed a review on my new Mikado Ebonite, you might want to check it out. I paid $150.00 for mine from Winedoc. I am not sure if they are going to make anymore or not. This was just a test run but it proved to be a very popular business decision for DaniTrio. You might want to get a hold of Winedoc to see if you can still order one.

TNS

Already put in a request for one with him!

Kurt H :D :rolleyes: ;) :lol: :P :blink: