Waterman Purple

girlieg33k

-- Click the thumbnail image to view the review in 800-wide-pixels (default)

-- Click the links below the thumbnail image to view the review in alternative views (600-wide-pixels or full-size)

Usual disclaimer: Color representation unfortunately cannot always be accurate due to the use of a scanner, reproduction of the scan in various computer monitors, and variations in pen/paper characteristics.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkypete

• Ondina

• JDlugosz

• XBaucus BillX

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

girlieg33k,

I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate you posting all of these reviews. Even with the problems with accurate color representation, I find these reviews very helpful. To someone new to fountain pens and inks, without a local brick and mortar place to check things out in person, and a tragically small bank account, I appreciate getting as much information as I can before making purchases.

You are a great credit to this community.

CMaxx

I am currently in posession of some cartridge refilling kits (aka syringes). Why refill cartridges?

1) save money by not buying more cartridges

2) save money by not buying converters

3) cartridges hold more ink! (than converters)

4) use whichever inks you like

If any of you are interested in the wonderful world of refilling your own cartridges (and mixing inks the easy way), check out my post in the marketplace (search for cmaxx).

Thanks so much for your reviews. They are so helpful in deterimining if I want to try out an ink! Please continue enlightening all of us.

PMS :thumbup:

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

-- Click the thumbnail image to view the review in 800-wide-pixels (default)

-- Click the links below the thumbnail image to view the review in alternative views (600-wide-pixels or full-size)

Usual disclaimer: Color representation unfortunately cannot always be accurate due to the use of a scanner, reproduction of the scan in various computer monitors, and variations in pen/paper characteristics.

Looking at this review scan, I am tempted to just try the wateman purple witout mixing with waterman florida blue in a 1:1 mix.

:thumbup:

girlieg33k,

Nice review of a classic Waterman. I've been using J.Herbin's Violette pensée which I got for Xmas last year (my wife purchased it at Bob Slate's in Harvard Sq). It's so blue, but beautiful. The Waterman is a beautiful purple. I really like your reviews: very practical and helpful. Please keep up the good work!

Greg

Lamy Safari 1.1mm stub

Pilot VP w/Binder .6mm stub

Pelikan M200 F

Pelikan M215 Italic

Waterman Phileas

Compaired to the lines on Clairefontaine/Rhodia and by looking at the color it looks almost the same as Violette Pensée (one of my favo(u)rite inks).

• 3 months later...

I just got a bottle of this ink. Sadly, I had LOTS of bleeding with a Medium nib Safari & an EF Hero 51 copy in my Moleskine. :o( Because I really love the color. Close to Diamine Imperial Purple, but more of a red/purple than the Imperial's Blu-ish purple.

Aubergine is a great word to describe it.

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

I researched several purple shades, before I decided on this one. I wanted a true purple. As soon as I got it in, I filled my new Pilot Custom 823 clear demonstrator with it. It looks awesome, and writes SO smoothly. I just hope it doesn't stain. Thanks for a great review.

CURRENT STABLE:

(2) Danitrio Tac Carry II / Xezo Architect / (2)(1920's era) Redipoint Flex / Libelle Vortex / Orange LE Pilot VP/ Mont Blanc Classique 144 / Dunhill Sidecar / Pilot 823 Clear Demonstrator / TWSBI 580 / Stipula Passaporto LE / Kaweco Sport WISH LIST:

MB Boheme / Platinum Hammered Sterling Silver / Pelikan M800 (clear demo) / Stipula Da Vinci / Visconti Opera Master / Delta Dolcevita Federico Oversize / Franklin-Cristoph 19 / Franklin-Christoph Model 25 w/ Masuyama nib

I just got a bottle of this ink. Sadly, I had LOTS of bleeding with a Medium nib Safari & an EF Hero 51 copy in my Moleskine. :o( Because I really love the color. Close to Diamine Imperial Purple, but more of a red/purple than the Imperial's Blu-ish purple.

Aubergine is a great word to describe it.

I have the same experience as you :( On Moleskine Waterman Purple is simply unusable...

Not that big of a deal as I dont like it on Moleskine yellowish paper anyway :P

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

• 2 weeks later...

biffybeans, perhaps your pen has feed or bad regulated ink flow? I know that I have used Waterman Inks for over a decade and never had a single bad surprise. Waterman inks are the best friend for vintage and modern pens.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I agree. Never had a problem with any Waterman ink, but much less, specifically with Violette. Let us know if you try it on other pen/paper combination.

As a color in the purple range I have grown to like Noodlers Concord Bream. Very warm and Springlike.

The Danitrio Fellowship

• 2 weeks later...

I just got some Noodler's Purple Martin. It's a really nice, dark, rich purple.

http://www.dragonseptarts.com/images/favicon.gif Dragonsept Arts and Publishing - Free and open culture

My Public Key: F1BC60E6

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." — Rudyard Kipling

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act." — George Orwell

I am so peeved as the Australian Waterman folk have just discontinued the purple here. I've been making Waterman Burple (45% purple 55% blue) and now they say the weren't selling enough purple so its out. Thanks for nothing.

Just have to add some to my next Pendemonium order.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

My wife loves Waterman prurple but likes a more permanent ink. She also has the bulletproof faded-purple colored Noodlers Lermontov which doesn't flow well. Recently, I mixed these two inks (~2:1 Noodlers to Waterman) and yielded an ink almost the same shade and flow as Waterman but with some permanance.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I am so peeved as the Australian Waterman folk have just discontinued the purple here. I've been making Waterman Burple (45% purple 55% blue) and now they say the weren't selling enough purple so its out. Thanks for nothing.

Just have to add some to my next Pendemonium order.

You almost gave me an early morning heart attack. Waterman's Violet discontinued? Man, I adore this ink. Is just amazing, color and performance. After this I'm going to the nearest store to stock up even if is just in your area where is not for sale any longer. Fpn's will not be half as attractive to me if this ink is gone. They are just a way of writing with W. Violet.

Edited by Ondina

• 4 weeks later...

Georges, I have bought at least 6 bottles of Waterman Purple from at least three different stores on three different continents, and used it with many different pens, all of which are scrupulously cleaned, maintained and regulated, and I can assure you that it spreads and bleeds, just as they say. It's only good on certain papers. Same with Havana Brown.

The blue and turquoise are ok. The red is not my style.

You didn't say which Waterman inks you use, but knowing you, probably blue or black.

Anyway, you don't always need to blame the person complaining, whether it's about Montblanc, or Waterman, or European retail policies... the complainer might be right!

biffybeans, perhaps your pen has feed or bad regulated ink flow? I know that I have used Waterman Inks for over a decade and never had a single bad surprise. Waterman inks are the best friend for vintage and modern pens.

Still seeking the One Pen to Rule Them All...