Montblanc Sepia

girlieg33k

Usual disclaimer: Color representation unfortunately cannot always be accurate due to the use of a scanner, reproduction of the scan in various computer monitors, and variations in pen/paper characteristics. Click the image to view the scan full-size.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• girlieg33k

• Opus104

• scribbler77

• PenTieRun

Top Posters In This Topic

Usual disclaimer: Color representation unfortunately cannot always be accurate due to the use of a scanner, reproduction of the scan in various computer monitors, and variations in pen/paper characteristics. Click the image to view the scan full-size.

<a href="http://girlieg33k.googlepages.com/montblanc-sepia.jpg" target="_blank">http://girlieg33k.googlepages.com/montblanc-sepia_600pix.jpg

Click here to view the full-size scan</a>

Nice color and behavior. How does it fare in a water test?

Again - kudos for the great reviews.

I actually retired my MB Sepia in order to use the great bottle for another ink. It seemed a bit washed out. I find Visconti Brown more sepia-like, but it also seems to make my nibs feel a bit dry.

Ah, great, girlie, now I HAVE to go buy this ink. Many thanks for the review. It has been on my list...and soon it will be on the credit card!

• 1 year later...

As a three ink noobie American living in Germany, I have no real experience.

I bought a bottle of MB Sepia, because I'd wanted the bottle, and had never written with a brown ink. I also have Pelikan Royal Blue and Brilliant Black, basic inks from back in my Silver dollar age.Back then boys wrote in blue or black blue or black. Only girls wrote in red, violet and green.

I just bottle dipped a Osmiroid broad, and medium calligraphy nib*, I have it in a Graduate Waterman with converter, and dipped a fine flexible Osmia-Farber-Castell, on non recycled computer paper.

Mine runs more brown with out as much of red the tinge, even in the Q-tip test; per my monitor. The drier the Q-tip, the more red tinge I got.

From light to dark

Osmiroid medium...the color I prefer of the four. This is the shade closest to what my LED monitor shows to the sample; only mine is browner.

Osmiroid Broad

Waterman medium

Osmia-Farber-Castell, fine -flexible which lays a darker line

*My mother is dancing in her grave, slapping Lucifer on the back, pointing me out to him, and laughing so hard, tears are running. She had the old Catholic ruler across the palm style of beautiful writing. At 60 I'm learning to write.

I think the Angel who gave man fire, would let the American mechanical engineers Air Condition the joint by now. Out side of the section that says Mississippi. I lived there as a kid, before AC was common.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Interesting that this thread should come to the surface today..... I purchased a bottle of MB Sepia on the weekend and have been testing it in one of my Lamy Safaris. So far I like the colour (the only other brown ink that I have is Noodlers Polar Brown) but it does seem to be quite dry in my Lamy M nib.

A belated "thank you" for a nice review!

David

A really unusual minky drinking chocolate colour, that will be much missed. Far nicer than Pelikan Brilliant Brown, IMO, which I have found a disappointment, but not as good as Conway Stewart Brown, which is, I think, among Inkdom's Most Underappreciated.

Dry inks are incredibly useful for taming those gushers. MB & Pelikan seem to have the market cornered.

John

I have had a chance to try MB Sepia since this review was originally posted. I must note that I am really bad at discerning colors. That said, I do not see brown in this ink, or at least the bottle I have. The ink looks almost identical to MB's Bordeaux. I see no appreciable difference in color. I had thought the closeness to Bordeaux might be part of the reason MB is phasing this color out.

Nice review Girlieg! As you probably know, the happy, peppy staff at any MB boutique are required to tell you to use MB inks only. This is the MB corporate policy. It has been discussed in other threads.

Ink is Ink- Use whatever color/brand you like in your pen! Of course YMMV (nice disclaimer, heh?) :)

*My mother is dancing in her grave, slapping Lucifer on the back, pointing me out to him, and laughing so hard, tears are running. She had the old Catholic ruler across the palm style of beautiful writing. At 60 I'm learning to write.

The nuns tried that with me too Bill, but it never worked!

Maybe that explains my arthritis, and why my handwritting is bad! ;)

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

The ink looks so much more saturated and reddish than my bottle! I really don't like MB sepia and put the bottle on the shelf to forget about. I have done the same with MB Bordeaux. They both look like really watered down inks with no personality at all. I'm not going to bother shaking the bottle - Visconti Sepia is exactly the ink I need in a brown.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77