Review of a Lamy Studio

bhassan

Hello all,

This is my first review ever of a fountain pen, but I just had to share my impressions of my newly acquired Lamy Studio (the black one, with the chrome grip).

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i256/Bilal_H/P1010138.jpg

First Impressions: 4/5

Bought from a private seller on eBay who was also selling a Montblanc Meisterstueck. This pen came to $40 including shipping. It arrived in the flawless original packaging, included a well-cleaned converter, and was slightly used with a bit of crusted brown-black ink around the base of the nib (that took a while to clean off). In addition, when first filled with Levenger's Cobalt Blue, used briefly, and placed carefully in the pen drawer, there was a spray of ink droplets all over the chrome grip when the pen was opened the next day. This happened three times (no jarring, either!) and then I took a folded paper towel (based on a tip from another poster) and gently but firmly pushed the nib inwards towards the feed. Hasn't happened since and I've used the pen five times, but I'll wait and see.

Appearance and Finish: 5/5

I love the sleek matte black-and-chrome body of this pen. Most other black pens I have are glossy, and are ubiquitous in most office environs. This draws attention to itself, for the lack of unneccesary ornamentation!

Design/Size/Weight: 5/5

The sculpture-like clip actually has a nice use! It prevents the pen from rolling on a sloping surface more readily than most others. Of course, it also looks cool. I like the fact that it snaps onto the back of the barrel as well. The designer actually thought about the user, and that some would like to post the cap! (I don't...it makes it just too heavy for my mid-size hands). It was a little on the heavy side when I first picked it up (but maybe that's because I've been using a Hero 443 as my daily writer) but it feels substantial (like closing the door on an older Mercedes-Benz, if you will).

Now about the chrome grip. I discovered that immediately after I wash my hands with soap and water, and my fingers are slightly moist, I can grip the pen well enough to write (but I still wouldn't want to play tug-of-war with it). However, if my fingers are even slightly greasy (having had a cookie, say), then the pen will tend to slip. The grip by itself rates a solid 4/5 just because of this.

Nib Design and Performance: 4.5/5

When first filled, it wrote like a perfect fine (if there is such a thing). Possibly due to an airlock, the nib ran dry after fifteen minutes of continuous writing, and immediately before, the line width went from fine to medium. After screwing in the piston until the nib was wet again, the nib went back to it's perfect fine width. No skips either, and just a hint of tooth if not held just-so. Otherwise a nail that's as smooth as glass (and I prefer firm nibs). The ease with which the nib glides over even cheap printer paper very much offsets the slip-effect of the grip.

The Filling System: 5/5

The standard Lamy converter has no issues. I just wish the twist knob had a knurled/splined grip like my Waterman and Parker converters.

Cost/Value: 5/5

Especially considering what I paid, minor issues were to be expected, but they have mostly resolved.

Overall Opinion/Conclusion: 4.5/5

While I can't say this will replace any pen in my collection, it is a solid, dependable (as of now) writer, with a smooth nib, fantastic looks, good ink capacity, and nice, weighty construction that feels good as long as the cap is not posted. All in all, a new favorite that could not be beat for the price.

Best Regards,

Bilal Hassan

Clarksville, MD

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug C

• Tony the Tiger

• kiavonne

• Grog

The Lamy studio is fantastic, I would like to have a piston filler pen with the Studio EF nib. I bought the Lamy 2000 but I was not very satisfied with its EF nib (I remedied by regrinding the nib, but since I'm not a nibmeister the results was only so so).

Genny

A nice, honest review. I loved the Studio series. For a low cost fountain pen, you can't beat it. I had to sell mine recently to help raise funds for a mega pen purchase, and it was a sad day. You hate to give up anything that works well, but I'll grab another soon.

Enjoy your pen, it's one of the great bargins in fountain pens.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Still curious about what that "mega pen purchase" might be -- have you ordered it yet?!! :unsure:

And rest assured your Studio is in good hands -- particularly now that I've customized it -- and am ordering some extra nibs (like a 1.1 calligraphy nib). It was unbeknownst to me at the time I purchased Greencobra's Studios that it's easy to change out the nibs on these pens -- another great feature, IMHO.

HP

A nice, honest review. I loved the Studio series. For a low cost fountain pen, you can't beat it. I had to sell mine recently to help raise funds for a mega pen purchase, and it was a sad day. You hate to give up anything that works well, but I'll grab another soon.

Enjoy your pen, it's one of the great bargins in fountain pens.

The sky IS falling. C. Little

Still curious about what that "mega pen purchase" might be -- have you ordered it yet?!! :unsure:

In a hour and 50 minutes I'll be at the post office picking it up. It came Sat but I was in work.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Nice review.

I have a Lamy Studio in black too. Its been the pen of choice for my current (Moleskine) journal. I've rotated others in occasionally, but keep coming back to the Studio. It's not perfect, but certainly a great pen for the price.

- Mark

Thanks for the review, and I have a question for any of you Studio owners who have one of the versions with a gold nib.

Does that gold nib (on the palladium or the pearl white) feel different than one of the steel Lamy nibs found on the Safaris, Al-Stars, or steel-nibbed Studios? I really like my Safari, but I'm not sure I want to spend 5 times the amount of a Safari for a Studio if the nib is basically the same, know what I mean?

Thanks,

CMaxx

I am currently in posession of some cartridge refilling kits (aka syringes). Why refill cartridges?

1) save money by not buying more cartridges

2) save money by not buying converters

3) cartridges hold more ink! (than converters)

4) use whichever inks you like

If any of you are interested in the wonderful world of refilling your own cartridges (and mixing inks the easy way), check out my post in the marketplace (search for cmaxx).

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Studio with a steel, 1.1mm nib and one with a gold cursive italic (reground from a B) nib. I "sense" a difference, but that may be something subconscious about gold-versus-steel or the nibmeisterization of the gold nib. Either way, I prefer writing with the gold nib. Part of that may also be the fact that I really like the way the gold nib is two-toned. I don't think I'd pay 5x for the difference, but there is more difference than just the nib between a Safari and a Studio. If you are going with the Studio, I think the gold nib upgrade is worthwhile.

http://gergyor.com/images/lamy_studio_nib.jpg

Best regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

• 1 month later...

I have the palladium finished with the medium gold nib. For what it's worth I find the gold medium nib to have a slightly soft feel. Out of the box it produced a wide line close to a broad rather than a medium.

I have also got two other Studios - one M Black and one OM in stainless. The OM in stainless is my absolute favourite everyday note taking pen. I have discovered a liking for fine Lamy nibs it's very possible the next Studio will be a Blue F.

Love the 2000 look and feel but my 'fine' is a full fat wet medium - only good for quick scribbling.

Will

Hey, with a $6 difference in price, how does this compare to a Pelikan 200? I'm on the fence.

Both have changeable nibs...

Both write well...

Refilling? Which is better?

Sturdier?

Lamy Safari ~ Lamy Studio ~ Pelikan M250

Hey, with a $6 difference in price, how does this compare to a Pelikan 200? I'm on the fence.

Both write well...

Sturdier?

Heheh, in about a week, maybe I can tell you, because I just ordered the M200, too.

Piston filling for the Pelikan. Converter/cartridge for the Studio. Piston filling is no more arduous than converter, is my guess. Pelikan is actually supposed to fill very nicely, is my understanding.

I'm told both pens write well and both are suitable workhorses.

The Pelikan will be much lighter, I'm thinking. My M320 is feather light, but it's still out for wanding and I've never used it. Everything I've read says Pelikan is a good fit and lighter weight, but durable in spite of its deceiving weight. I've used the Safari and Al-Star, I've been happy with their performance, so I expect good performance from the Studio. I have medium nibs in everything, only the Parker Inflection and Lamy's have tempted me to fine, though I haven't jumped yet.

And that is all. No more. No more. I must abstain from buying for awhile.

edit: spelling

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Both write well...

Sturdier?

I have just acquired the Studio so my experience is limited.

I wouldn't say the nibs on the Studio are as easily changeable and as cheap and as widely available as the Pelikan M200, but perhaps others have more informed opinions.

But yes, both write well.

The M200 is lighter, even the M215. It is also a smaller pen.

The Studio can possibly be used as a weapon, or at least it is much more likely to be effective in this regard than the Pelikan.

I think the Pelikan will take more ink but I haven't measured yet. I really like piston fillers. But the Studio's ability to take carts can be a plus.

You can tell that I'm not quite sold on the Studio yet. It is really a heavy pen for my hand (I chose the stainless steel version). I am glad I got it, and it's a beautiful object, and writes smoothly.

Both write well...

Sturdier?

I have just acquired the Studio so my experience is limited.

I wouldn't say the nibs on the Studio are as easily changeable and as cheap and as widely available as the Pelikan M200, but perhaps others have more informed opinions.

But yes, both write well.

The M200 is lighter, even the M215. It is also a smaller pen.

The Studio can possibly be used as a weapon, or at least it is much more likely to be effective in this regard than the Pelikan.

I think the Pelikan will take more ink but I haven't measured yet. I really like piston fillers. But the Studio's ability to take carts can be a plus.

You can tell that I'm not quite sold on the Studio yet. It is really a heavy pen for my hand (I chose the stainless steel version). I am glad I got it, and it's a beautiful object, and writes smoothly.

Congrats! What size nib did you get? What size do you have on your other pens? I have an XF Safari as my frame of reference.

Lamy Safari ~ Lamy Studio ~ Pelikan M250

My blue 1.1mm stub will be here next week. I'm really looking forward to it. Someone please tell me about the feel of the outside surface. Isn't it slightly "tacky"?

CURRENT STABLE:

(2) Danitrio Tac Carry II / Xezo Architect / (2)(1920's era) Redipoint Flex / Libelle Vortex / Orange LE Pilot VP/ Mont Blanc Classique 144 / Dunhill Sidecar / Pilot 823 Clear Demonstrator / TWSBI 580 / Stipula Passaporto LE / Kaweco Sport WISH LIST:

MB Boheme / Platinum Hammered Sterling Silver / Pelikan M800 (clear demo) / Stipula Da Vinci / Visconti Opera Master / Delta Dolcevita Federico Oversize / Franklin-Cristoph 19 / Franklin-Christoph Model 25 w/ Masuyama nib

Interested parties might note that in my sale (post: cleaning house), Ihave a Lamy Studio Platinum with the solid gold nib on sale for $75 ($125 list).

the Danitrio Fellowship

There is a definite difference between the two. The gold tends to run a little wider, and it has a 'softer' feel.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Congrats! What size nib did you get? What size do you have on your other pens? I have an XF Safari as my frame of reference.

Thanks Nate! I got the F nib, which is fine enough for me (I have finer nibs if needed on other pens).

It works better now that it's running on Pelikan Brilliant Black, too!

My blue 1.1mm stub will be here next week. I'm really looking forward to it. Someone please tell me about the feel of the outside surface. Isn't it slightly "tacky"?

If the black is the same, it's not really a "tacky" feel to me. It's kind of soft (not squishy, though), kind of velvety. Easy to grip. I had a bp with that material ages ago that was the only bp I liked writing with.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship