Parker Duofold Centennial

TheNobleSavage

Parker Duofold Centennial

First Impressions

I have a nice collection of Vintage Parker pens and a few vintage and older Parker Duofold pens. My Parker Duofold Senior (flat top) in Jade Green is the first REAL CLASSIC Duofold that I have owned and this was a pen that I was really longing for. Since I had it for almost a full year, I have been very happy with it especially knowing and wondering how many owners hands this pen has been through. I have been eyeing the modern Duofold pens and especially the larger Duofold Centennial. This pen really appealed to me because I do like pens with more heft to them and this pen seems to of have it.

I never seen the Centennial in person but I have seen it on the net for quite sometime now. The major drawback was the price of this pen!! The Duofold International was more in my budget but it is much smaller than I would like so I opted out of the pen. Most of you know that I normally do not buy a lot of brand new pens. I usually like buying used pens off of Zoss and Pentrace Green Board and occasionally from E-Bay. Even used, the Centennial goes for around and over $200.00

I took the opportunity and good fortune of buying this pen off of the Pentrace Green Board from our very own Tytyvyllus (Kurt H.) Knowing that there was no box or papers (I really do not care unless the pen is brand spanking new) this pen was one hell of a steal along with being the cheapest Centennial I have ever seen before. Shipping was super fast and I believe it was a week or so before Hurricane Katrina. The pen arrived in flawless condition and I was really itching to fill her up

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Parker%20Duofold%20Centennial/DSCF2407.jpg

Appearance/ Finish 4.5 out of 5

The Parker Duofold Centennial is in a modern black color with gold trim. The cap and barrel looks like it is made out of a high quality resin that seems to shine like the sun. No buffing is needed on this pen, that’s for sure. The cap has a gold arrow clip, 2 gold cap bands. On the cap tassie there is what looks like a coin made out of brass with the words “Duofold” in the older 1920’s style on a scroll. This gives it the marriage between the old vintage Duofold and the Modern ones.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Parker%20Duofold%20Centennial/DSCF2477.jpg

The cap tends to slightly taper upwards from the clip band to the tassie. So this does not look like your classic Duofold flat top. This pen is aerodynamic looking with a nice modern flair to it. The section separates from the barrel by unscrewing with metal on non-metal threads. The section is about 50% plastic and 50% brass and seems extremely solid. Looking at the pen, towards the rear right below the faux blind cap, there is one thin gold band and the end of the faux blind cap is flat.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Parker%20Duofold%20Centennial/DSCF2408.jpg

Design/Size/Weight 4.5 out of 5

I sort of jumped the gun and already gave you the details on the designs so I will go right to the size and weight. This pen is roughly under 5 ½ inches closed and about 6 ¾ in length with the cap posted. This is a pretty good sized pen with a comfortable heft to it. This pen weighs more than I thought it would and looks are deceiving when it comes to this pen. I believe the brass section provides a good amount of the weight of this pen.

If you find this pen to be too big for you, you can always opt for the International Duofold. The International barrel and cap is 1/8 smaller in diameter and the nib is also 1/8 smaller and also a bit cheaper too!!

As for the balance, with or without the cap, the pen feels nice and cozy with no obstruction that I can report. Due to my grip, the barrel threads do not interfere because I really choke up on the pen when I write. This is a nice comfortable pen with the weight in the right spot, at least for me that it!!!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Parker%20Duofold%20Centennial/DSCF2415.jpg

Nib Design and Performance 4 out of 5

The nib design I believe is the most recent for the Duofold series to include the slightly smaller International and the big brother, the Centennial. The nib is made out of an 18KT gold nib that is two tone in color. There is the traditional arrow on the nib and also the words “Duofold” in the classic text on the scroll, kind of like the cap tassie. The nib looks very classy and has a bit of vintage feel to it. Under the arrow fletching is the trademark works “PARKER’ and under that is the usual data “18k 750” This is a really nice looking nib and I have to say that I was quite impressed.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Parker%20Duofold%20Centennial/DSCF2411a.jpg

Ok, let’s see how the nib and pen performed. I did buy this pen with a fine nib and I normally buy pens in the Medium and Broad widths. So this might take a tad bit of getting used to. This nib seems very stiff with little to no spring to it. I found that the nib is a tad bit scratchy for my tastes and the ink flow was extremely stingy but there was ZERO skipping. This pen was on the light to medium end of a Fine nib. So to remedy the situation, I made a few small modifications of this nib. I increase the ink flow and slightly opened the tines because they were pinched very tightly. So I was able to floss inside the tines using a Mylar 1.5 micron smoothing disc and then finishing it off with the .1 micron disc to polish the insides the tipping material. After about 30 minutes of work, this pen wrote on the light to medium side of a medium nib. The ink flow was extremely generous without being too much or too little. This nib is now perfect for my writing style and uses. Even though this is still a stiff nib IMHO smoothing the nib out and increasing the flow of in really made a big difference. This pen went from a good writing pen to a fantastic writing instrument.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Parker%20Duofold%20Centennial/DSCF2411.jpg

The Filling System 4 out of 5

Wow, when will they listen to the consumer and construct more integrated filling systems? Oh well, you guessed it, Cartridge/Converter filling system. Parker pens (modern) use a propriety cartridge and converter. Both the cartridge and converter seats firmly with the brass section around it. No real issues with the actual filling process, everything went as expected.

Cost 5 out of 5

Besides performance, this is the next important thing I look for in a fountain pen. Since I did buy this pen used, the price of around $150.00 is a pretty darn good deal and I have yet seen one this sweet since I bought the pen. Now retail, this pen goes for around $288.00 brand new from Swisher pens. IMHO I think that is too steep of a price for this pen. If you want this pen then I would suggest to wait for a used on to go for sale on the Green Board, Ebay or whatever. I will rate this pen as if it was new which would be 3 out of 5 on the Savage scale. As for what I paid for, I give this one all fives (5) Great deal and worth the duckets!!

Conclusion

I have to admit that this pen is a pleasure to use and the balance and weight is very good. Parker paid attention to detail when it came to the nib and the cap tassie. The weight and material the pen is made out of, it really conforms to the hand. As I said earlier, this is the marriage of the old vintage with the contemporary modern. Should you buy it? That is up to you!! I happen to like it but I will not give it a “must buy” rating but I will give it high enough marks. So you should at least look into it.

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stylo

• wimg

• marklavar

• djahughes

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for all the recent reviews! Great job as usual TNS!!!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

TNS, I picked up a Chocolate pinstripe last year and I have 2 minor complaints about these modern Duofolds.

1. It takes 2 full turns to uncap, not sure if any other pen manufacturers ventured more than 1.5 turns. I feel like I am really working that cap before I can start writing.

2. I kinda wished the cap would sit lower to shorten the pen a bit when it's posted. The cap sits very similar to my churchill. On the other hand, I find the Pelikans much more balanced when posted as the cap sits a lot lower.

I personally find the 600 sized Pelikans more comfortable, because of this, I currently have my eye out on an international sized duofold. The discontinued white marble looks fantastic. The black and silver trim would also be a great addition.

Having a Centennial Mosaic I've got to agree with everything in the review. The thing that disappointed me was the convertor, for the price of the pen I really expected something better. Actually, was meaning to post about the convertor, when I sent the pen to Parker for a nib exchange they sent it back with a convertor which is a different size to the one it came with, slightly narrower and longer.

Hi TNS,

Thanks for another great review!

I haD all but given up on Parkers these days, but I must admit I still own a few, amongst which the classic Duofold Centennial from the nineties. I normally have it filled with Noodler's Black, for writing addresses etc. on envelopes and the like.

I must say tht it has begun to grow on me again recently, so your review is rather timely :D.

And of course, the Blue Mosaic International that is depicted here by Denis, can truly only be appreciated by a real Mad Dutchman :D :lol:.

Warmest regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Here is its little brother, a 1992 blue marble International.

This question goes to anyone who has experience with both the Centennial and the International sizes. I know the diameter of the Centennial is about 1/8"" more, but what kind of feel does that translate into? Does it feel a lot beefier than the International or just enough to be noticed? How do either compare in feel against the somewhat slender and average sized Sonnet? `How about other pens like the Expert II?

Hi Stylo,

Compared to both the International and the Centennial the Expert looks like a smallish pen, be it rather heavy. Both being straight they give the impression they are bigger tham they are, while the Expert's taper gives the false impression it is small. I just put my Expert and Centennial next to each other, just to find out the Expert is a few mm longer capped, and in between the International and Centennial in thickness.

Uncapped, unposted, the C. is a few mm longer, and when E. and C. are posted, the C. really looks massive, being about an inch (!) longer than the E.

A modern Sonnet is a puny pen compared to any of them, shorter than the D. by at least 5 mm when capped, about 4 mm shorter than the E. uncapped, and about 5-6 mm shorter when posted. And the S. is by far the thinnest of the four.

Quality-wise, I reckon the E. comes out on top. But that is my personal opinion. :D

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

... Expert is a few mm longer capped, and in between the International and Centennial in thickness.

Are you looking at the grip section or the thickest part of the barrel? Does a centennial feel to be a lot thicker than an Expert in your hand?

Quality-wise, I reckon the E. comes out on top. But that is my personal opinion. :D

Really? :o I have two Expert IIs (blue and green marble), not the original ones, for which I paid $20 a piece. I know that was an incredible deal as they usually go for around $60-70. But the Duofolds seems to have better quality when it comes to finish - especially the mosaics - don't they?

Thanks for all the feedback.

Edited by Stylo

Hi Stylo,

... Expert is a few mm longer capped, and in between the International and Centennial in thickness.

Are you looking at the grip section or the thickest part of the barrel? Does a centennial feel to be a lot thicker than an Expert in your hand?

No, only a little, which it is. I was looking at the thickest part. The E. tapers a little more, so it depends on where you grip it. The way I do, it is only a little thinner than the C. anyway. I don't use either pen a lot, because I have other pens which feel much more comfortable (yeah, yeah, I know... :D, I won't mention them again :lol:).

Really? :o I have two Expert IIs (blue and green marble), not the original ones, for which I paid $20 a piece. I know that was an incredible deal as they usually go for around $60-70. But the Duofolds seems to have better quality when it comes to finish - especially the mosaics - don't they?

Thanks for all the feedback.

Ok, the E. looks cheaper, at first. When it comes to build quality however... Let me say I was probably very unlucky with my C., probably a Monday morning specimen.

The Duofolds do look pretty though, prettier I think, than the E.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Guest Denis Richard

My experience with my International is that indeed the quality could have been better. Ok, it has been severly abused during all these years. It has a crack in the cap lip and the plating is wearing off pretty much everywhere.

That said, the feel of the Duofold is not quite the same than any other pen I have. Hard to describe, but that nib is really something else. I would not hesitate to get another one if the price was lower. I would love a Navy pinstripe one.

My experience with my International is that indeed the quality could have been better. Ok, it has been severly abused during all these years. It has a crack in the cap lip and the plating is wearing off pretty much everywhere.

I think that under heavy use, any pen will take a serious beating, especially if if it doesn't always get stored in a nice pen case. My Parker 75 shows a lot of wear signs.

• 5 weeks later...
I agree with Wil on the posting issue with this one. The Centennial is one I use unposted. Using it posted, it feels like I'm trying to write with a Maypole.

Ray

Quite simply, the Duofold Centennial is not meant to be posted! If you want to post, get the International version - or a Sonnet. The Centennial is a top of the range pen, and as such deserves to be treated with respect, i.e. NO posting! :angry:

I agree with Wil on the posting issue with this one. The Centennial is one I use unposted. Using it posted, it feels like I'm trying to write with a Maypole.

Ray

Quite simply, the Duofold Centennial is not meant to be posted! If you want to post, get the International version - or a Sonnet. The Centennial is a top of the range pen, and as such deserves to be treated with respect, i.e. NO posting! :angry:

Wow! So posting my pens means I don't respect them!? I never knew...

Sorry but that is ridiculous!

Most pens I have written with are too small un-posted and many are better balanced posted.

The only pen I have ever tried that I probably would not post is the CS Churchill and that is not because of respect but because of the 'maypole effect'.

David Hughes

How does this pen compare in size to the Van Gogh Maxi?

David, I have an early Duofold Centennial from about 1990. The two pens are fairly obviously in the same size class. Oddly, the dimensions seem quite different at 135 mm (5.25 in) long capped for the Parker v the Visconti's 148 mm (5.75 in), but i think it's becasuse of the Parker's flat-top design making it appear bigger. The Visconti certainly feels heavier with all that metal (section, sprung clip, big band etc).

FWIW, the nibs are totally different: the Duofold is incredibly firm and solid. I quite like this on occasion, but the springy Visconti has far more subtlety.

The Parker is a real workhorse; it always starts well, the section feels great in the hand for hours (probably better than the Visconti), never skips. But I have heard that the early models had better nibs than later ones.

Oh, and I post the cap all the time and the weight distribution feels fine to me. But it *will* leave posting marks, at least on these earlier pens.

Regards

Richard

Here's a quick and dirty (very!) scan from my flatbed scanner ...

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/7207/viscvpark2ot.jpg

Edited by RichardS