Latest Japanese additions

Nikolaos

Some of the latest additions to my collection...again Japanese pens

From left to right:

Platinum oversized sterling silver with a very nice cross-hatch pattern and a Pt. Alloy nib with transparent feed

Pilot Super 500. It took me a long time to find this one!

Pilot short/long Elite with a sterling silver cross-hatch pattern on cap and nice medium WG 18k nib

Pilot MYU black striped with a very sweet medium nib

Platinum black striped short/long, with a XF 18K nib

More to come soon!

Nikolaos

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nikolaos

• Phthalo

• alvarez57

• Margana

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know anything about these older pens, but they are beautiful. Writing with them, how do the nibs compare with present day Platinums and Pilots?

I must also confess to knowing little about older Japanese pens, but these new pens of yours are very nice. I especially like the Pilot Super 500. As someone else asked, how do the nibs on these older pens compare to the new nibs?

Thank you all for your comments. I only have the Custom 823 as far as modern Pilots go and no modern Platinums. Vintage pilot nibs are really sweet to use. They are consistent true to the size that they claim to be. They never run wider like most europeans tend to do. The Super 500 nib is a beauty to look at and use. It is a huge inlaid nib that is fantastic to use. The medium steel integral nib on the MYU makes the pen a wonderful daily writer. The fine nibs on my other Murex pens are a bit on the dry side. The modern 823 is an excellent pen. I think the main reason that the japanese nibs are consistent over the years is that they are produced in-house, which is not the case with many european (and American) makers. For instance, there is huge difference between vintage and modern MB nibs (my vote goes for the vintage ones).

Same comments go for the vintage platinum nibs, true to their size and wonderful to use! As far as comparisons between vintage Platinum and modern ones, i think Laura's input will help clarify things ;-)

Nikolaos

Edited by Nikolaos

I was waiting in the wings for you to respond first. ;)

A few observations...

• My vintage nibs from Pilot and Platinum are consistent in size and character - which makes buying a pleasure. I don't have any modern Platinum nibs as such, but I do have Nakaya nibs - same nib, different manufacturer stamp.
  • There is little difference in point size between the old and new nibs from Pilot and Platinum, but Sailor nibs have all become *slightly* larger and more wet as far as writing goes - more toward "normal" flow as is expected today from the modern FP user. This is what is earning Sailor its reputation for such smoothness.
  • From experience, Pilot make the finest modern EF nib of all three - I have Pilot EF nibs which rival my Needlepoints / XXXF nibs.

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Did you order them online? I'd appreciate the URL of the websites specializing in Japanese fountain pens.

Outside of the few pens shown on the rare updates of Euro-Box.com, there are no websites that specialize in older Japanese pens. This is anywhere, in any language. There are several that pay lip service or highlight certain pens, of which some might even be for sale at exorbitant prices.

One of my goals for the new year is to create a website for my periodic regular sales. It will also focus discussion on certain models and welcome pictures and articles from all. There will be other diversions as well. When my daughter can get around to working on it for me is up to her, or how hard I can twist her arm.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Hi Nikolaos,

Congrats on your great finds, esspecially on the Ultra 500!

Would love to see a photograph of its nib...Do you maybe have one?

cheers,

Luca ;)

Phthalo is totally right about the Pilot and Sailor nibs. But be careful. Her encouragement could lead to an expensive addiction. ;)

Edited by Margana

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Goet!

Very nice, Nicolaos, very nice collection. If you don't mind, can you take pictures of the nibs? Dankje!

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Nikoloas:

Wow, really interesting. The vintage Japanese is a part of FP collecting I have yet to explore. How did you get started with it? It looks like you use them regularly - do they hold up to daily use? I love the Ultra 500. How old are the pens?

Andy W.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n175/weissela/David%20Oscarson/th_nibovercapII.jpg[/url]

Wonderful picture of the Super 500!

BTW, I have the Elite with the Sterling Silver Cap, but with the <FM> nib. I had originally purchased to be a part of my modest short/long collection to stare at and use only occassionally, but it's such a great writer that I turn to it almost everyday now. I find that while its not a flexy nib, it has just that bit of softness to it that gives it character.

That beautiful looking nib on the Super 500 makes me wonder...always on the hunt for character! Is it a stiff nib, like I've heard that the inlaid Waterman Edson is; or does it have the same give as the inlaid Elite?

Very nice!! And I would think they hold very well after all the years. They are very unique.

Dankje!

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Andy: I got into Japanese pens by buying an older capless that i really like. Most of them are very unique pens and very addictive. Also my wife is a big help in this. She is Taiwanese and helps me source Japanese pens out of Asia. The pens on the photo are from the 1970s mainly, but the super 500 is much older (50s) although Pilot had another go with the pen in the 1990s. There is not much info about this pen unfortunately.

geonut: the nib on the Super 500 is not stiff at all. I would call it responsive. It is similar to the Elite sterling one but i think the elite one is a tad softer/smoother. I don't have an Edson, but from the comments/reviews i have read it seems that it is a very stiff nib.

Nikolaos

Nikolaos, a hearty congratulations to you on that Super 500! I have seen only one pass through on eBay, and it closed over $600. How did you manage to find it? If you could find the time to post a review of the pen along with a generous set of photos, it would be definitely appreciated--these pens don't come around very often! :)

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Thank you Gary! Well, believe it or not , i got it on ebay and paid way less than the going rate. I think i just got lucky with it and it is in excellent condition. I will try to do a review and take some nice pictures of it. I am using it today, along with my custom silvern and love it! It is a beauty

Nikolaos