Swisher Intense Red

wimg

Hi Tnt and all :D

As promised to Tnt, I would post a writing sample of Swisher Intense Red. Before I knew, it was a short review however. Now, after seeing Yuri's ink review, I thought I could add a little interest to this review too, so here goes. As usual, to cater for dial-up users, first up, clickable thumbnails to larger, single pages of the review:

sirs1-2.jpgsirs2-2.jpg

Next is a detail of the writing, showing of redness, only little feathering, and some shading:

sir-part3.jpg

And a close-up of the different red(dish) inks on page 2. From top to bottom: Swisher Intense Red, Waterman Red, Omas Vespucci Red, Noodler's Ottoman Rose, Swisher Maroon and Noodler's Cayenne:

sir-reds3.jpg

Very notable is the fact that Swisher Intense Red is the only true red. Waterman Red is rather orange, even with a wet dip nib (!), Omas Vespucci Red has some purple/brown undertones, although it comes close, and obviously Ottoman Rose and Swisher Maroon are just there for comparison, as is Noodler's Cayenne, for the comparison with orange (and Waterman Red) and for the nice shading effects.

Finally, here is a link to the full set, for those of us with a fast connection:

Complete review (big download)

Enjoy!

Warm regards, Wim

Edited by wimg
Fixed links and spelling

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• grasshopper

• Roger

• tntaylor

Top Posters In This Topic

Wim, another great review as usual. Many thanks!

One day I might get around to doing a review, albeit not up to your standards, of Noodler's Devil Red. IMHO, it's a true red and an eternal to boot!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Love these reviews, Wim. :)

It's interesting that to you the Waterman's Red looks orangish and the Intense Red looks true red. On my screen the Intense Red looks pinkish and the Waterman's, more red!

(In person, the Waterman's Red looks bright red to me, too--while Pelikan looks orangish.)

None of the colors are unpleasant, and together they look festive!

Thanks for the review,

Ann

Love these reviews, Wim.  :) 

It's interesting that to you the Waterman's Red looks orangish and the Intense Red looks true red. On my screen the Intense Red looks pinkish and the Waterman's, more red!

Mine too!

Super review (yet again), Wim. I love the comparison photo...and I think I am falling in love with Noodler's Ottoman Rose :D

Southpaw, I look forward to your review of Noodler's Devil Red ink!

What can I say!

Master Wim is at his usual best!

I must say though (wrong thread, I know but) my next red is still Noodler's Red-Black, which is still firmly in my head after Bryan's cool water test.

G.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

What can I say!

Master Wim is at his usual best!

I must say though (wrong thread, I know but) my next red is still Noodler's Red-Black, which is still firmly in my head after Bryan's cool water test.

G.

Yes, Wim sets that bar awfully high, doesn't he?

I have, on order, Noodler's Red-Black along with Aircorp B-B, Green Marine and Walnut for the same reasons. Good water resistance in spite of them not carrying the "eternal" or "contract" designation.

Nathan has changed the way I evaluate inks. :) If I'm going to put the time and effort into writing something, why not have it resist water better than average? :D

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Jee guys :blush: :blush: :blush:

Umm, don't know what to say. Thank you all for the very kind words. I'have to thank Yuri for his excellent idea of enlarging a piece of the writng to study it close-up, and for an enlargement of a few ink samples, while many here posted a combination of several ink samples anyway. I just copied everybody else here, really.

I am glad you all appreciate it though, as that was/is what I try to achieve.

Southpaw:

Looking forward to your review, and I am sure it is up to any standard! The reason is simple: everyone who posts here sets the standard, and a sample (pun not intentional :D). It is just great to share these experiences with each other.

Ann:

Waterman Red definitely looks bright, but also definitely has orangy undertones. BTW, a true pink is a true red with a lot of white in it. IOW, a light version of red. Just check any colour chart, even the Windows one, and you'll see what I mean.

Maja:

Yeah, Ottoman Rose is one of my favourites, together with Ottoman Azure. I always have at least two pens with me, one filled with OR and the other with OA. Always with italic nibs, to show off the shading :D.

Grasshopper:

Red Black is a great brown/sepia colour, very strong indeed. I have been looking around for the best match with my Etruria 991, so I may end up doing a few more short reviews with brownish colours in comparison :D. I have a few surprising ones right now :lol:.

t!:

Well, I promised, so I did, I guess :D.

Roger:

Nah, the only bar one has to overcome is one's own, IMO. So go ahead, and write some, scan it (or make a picture of it), post it here. The more the merrier, IMO.

Nathan certainly has changed my way of thinking about inks. I currently have 15 of his inks in my collection, and I don't use much else, beyond Waterman Blue Black of course :lol:. Oh, about 70 different inks in total right now... yes, I am the self-confessed Mad Dutchman :lol:.

Anyway, thanks again. It gives me pleasure to do this, and I am glad other people get some joy or use out of it too!

Warmest regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever