Aurora Black Ink Review

DilettanteG

Here's a short review of a very popular ink: Aurora Black

(I'll try to add more information as time allows.)

My Impressions: Aurora Black is an excellent, dense, true black ink. What really sets it apart from its competitors is it's excellent flow qualities. Aurora Black, or Blue for that matter, is a good choice for a dry nib. However, given it's high price tag and lack of 'bullet proof' properties, it doesn't make it into my rotation very often. I prefer Swisher's Nile Ebony Swish mix (a combination of Noodler's black bulletproof ink and Swisher's fast drying line,) or just straight Noodler's black if it's for a pen that dries out easily. YMMV

FPN Color Category: Black

Opacity: Very Good

Saturation: Very Good

Shading:Fair

Feathering: Good

Drying Speed: Fair

Flow: Excellent

pH: 4.3*

Waterproof Rating: Good*

Sunlight Resistance: Good*

Special Features: None

Is it archival? (pH neutral & light fast): No

Avaliable in Bottles Only

Quantity: 45 mL (1.52163 ounces)

Bottle Shape: Tall and Rectangular

Purchased from: Pendemonium

Paid: $10.50

Price per Ounce: $6.90

Would I buy it again? No, but I wouldn't pour it down the sink either...

Similar Inks: Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black

Note: I had this bottle scented Violet by the good people at Pendemonium. The Violet actually smells pretty nice. (I haven't been as lucky with some of their other scented additives.)

I'll have to get back to you on:

Does it seem to flow particularly fast or slow?

Does it tend to dry up in pens quickly if the cap is off for awhile?

How does it lubricate the nib? (sufficiently, or like "skating on the paper")

Bleed through?

Is there a phenomenal difference in appearance coming from different pens?

Is it particularly sensitive to hand oils?

Papers that it works especially well on?

Or doesn't work well on?

A note on my scans: the samples (unless otherwise noted) are done with a dip pen on cheap copy paper. Since I haven't quite mastered the art of not flooding or starving the reservoir, the feathering and smearing represent your worst case scenario. if you're using a paint brush on newsprint it might be even more appalling, but I haven't actually tried it.

Ratings Key:

Excellent: Top Performer

Very Good: Ahead of the rest of the pack, but not the winner.

Good: Average

Fair: Noticeably worse than average, but I wouldn't actually flush it.

Poor: As in, "Pour it down the sink."

*From Greg Clark's Ink Sampler, Final Edition

To convert mL to oz: http://www.metric-conversions.org/volume/m...o-us-ounces.htm

post-2426-1193635054_thumb.jpg

Edited by DilettanteG

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• jmmp

• Empacherguy

• koppee1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is one of my favorite inks. I don't use black ink that often, as I like my writing to stand out from the black typeface on the pages that I edit. But when I do use black, Aurora is the one that I usually use. The other one that I sometimes use is Pelikan. Both inks are a very dark black. The main difference between them, in my opinion, is that Pelikan dries faster and flows more slowly.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Sorry to be stalking your posts, but thanks again for a thorough review! I actually prefer black inks to more frivolous ones(although my I am starting to love Visconti Blue), and your thoroughness helps deciding what to go for. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

My pleasure! I just trying out some opacity tests and I got out the Aurora black expecting it to be the densest and blackest ink I had. I was surprised to see the Caran D'Ache Carbon Black blow it away. I'll have to post some samples once I get some more scans done. I wonder how it compares to the Platinum (?) Carbon Black? I think I have a sample around here somewhere, but the labels are all in Japanese! :headsmack:

Edited by DilettanteG

Hi again on an early Saturday morn'!

I bought my bottle of Aurora Black a while back; tried it out in my Pelikan It was OK, dark, NICE color, but somehow didn't seem to be as silky in that pen as I'd imagined. Not even close to "pour it out" territory. In my Skyline it was fabulous. I originally bought it in an effort to cure my infernal Montblanc of its refusal to write with any ink whatsoever. It failed; I was dismayed - mostly at the lousy bleep MB.

And so, the poor Aurora was relegated for a while to the "vacation drawer." Then, on a whim (and wanting to switch from a blues and browns to a black) I dumped the disappointing Stipula Sepia from my Visconti Viscontina and loaded up the Aurora. All I can say is WOW! Frankly, this pen (pretty much one of my two favorites) has not seen anything else in at least 5-6 loads. It is a match made in heaven and re-affirms what fountain pen writing is supposed to feel like in my book. Completely sexy, smooth, elegant (even with my hideous scrawling hand), rich, COMPLETELY reliable. Ironically, I haven't yet tried it in my Talentum, but sincerely hope it loves that chamber as well.

So for me, Aurora's Black has found its home. Water resistance isn't really an issue for my everyday writing, so I leave that for my Noodler's. The Viscontina, though, is with me often and this ink shines perfectly. Some day I'll have to write a review of this little tiny Viscontina....

Thanks for listening to my windage!

Scott

• 3 years later...

That ink is bulletproof? Or that is watersoluble easily? It is safe?

Edited by jmmp

"Life is simple - You make choices and you don't look back"

How things change, 2005 Aurora, was King.Pelikan was Prince.

Now for heavy black it's only in the top ten.

Pelikan is gray on many cheap papers, as many complain.

Noodlers is King in many blacks, from my reading.

I only have the Pelikan...when I got back to fountain pens I ran out and bought the two cheap now local inks, from my childhood. Pelikan Blue, and Black.

I don't use black ink for anything. But would try Aurora in I've never tried it and it was once the name in black.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The best black.

Not the best bottle for filling.

Is it permanent?

"Life is simple - You make choices and you don't look back"

• 3 weeks later...

I like Aurora black, too. A rich, smooth black. Just a tad pricey compared to Noodler's black. I also think Sheaffer Skrip is pretty close in saturation.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree that it is a fantastic ink, especially because of its good flowing properties. Only thing I can think of against actually is that it is not permanent, and consequently that makes me prefer Noodler's bulletproof black. I tend to prefer bulletproof/permanent inks as it is more suitable in my legal profession.

• 1 year later...

I love love this ink. I put it in my Visconti Rembrandt and it was an excellent match for the pen. Very smooth and very black!

• 6 months later...

what I do? grab old or buy used montblanc shoe bottle or even iroshizuku bottle at gouletpens.com they sell empty ones. after a through wash and dry, you can dump aurora black ink in there. you know, I do that. Its much easier I am leaning toward iroshizuku bottles because of the notch in center.

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

• 1 month later...

I want my writing to last. And that means it has to be lightfast and waterproof. Noodler's Black is both and it is also beautiful on papers of all types. For my tastes, Noodler's Black can't be beat. I guess that's why I've not been tempted by Aurora. Thanks for the review.