Montblanc Dostoevsky

Richard

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/dostoevsky.jpg

1. First Impressions

I acquired this pen without purchasing it, so my first impressions occurred after it was already mine. In general, I find the Montblanc Writers' Series LEs to be more eye candy than by-intention writing instruments, but I think the Dostoevsky is an exception. It's attractive, but it looks like a "real" pen instead of an artist's idea of something collectors might be conned into buying if enough mystique is wrapped around it. Because of the way it came into my possession, the pen had no accompanying materials of any kind, so I can't comment on the packaging.

Rating: 4/5

2. Appearance & Finish

Fit and finish are superb. Nothing is sloppily or clumsily fitted, nothing rattles or wiggles. The polished surface is brilliant and even everywhere. The barrel engraving (cut, not laser) is clean, without scratches or raised edges. Engraved lines meet perfectly. The design on the gold-plated bands on cap and barrel appears to be roll engraved (chased) instead of cut, with distinct raised edges; but it's very clean and crisp. Plating is uniform, and the prep for plating was carried out meticulously; there are no gaps, scratches, voids, or inclusions on the plated surfaces.

There is a blue cabochon in the clip ball. Montblanc refers to it as a sapphire-colored stone, while everyone else seems to think it is a synthetic sapphire. I don't care. It's shaped, polished, and inset perfectly.

Rating: 5/5

3. Design/ Size/Weight

The Dostoevsky is all black (except for the smoked gray ink view window) and appears to be made of Montblanc's proprietary "Precious Resin." The section is not made with the usual Meisterstück nib collar that includes the section lip, and for this reason I think it's a better design than the standard Meisterstück models, whose section lip can crack off the nib collar if installed even a very little too firmly.

The pen is cylindrical, with a slightly tapered piston knob and a flattened dome, into which is set a large vintage-style Snowcap, on the cap crown. The overall appearance of the pen is reminiscent of Montblanc's pens of the 1920s, so much so that the extra gold work does not alter this perception. The clip is a sturdy stamping that fits the aesthetic. This is a large pen, roughly the size of a Pelikan M800. I prefer to write with my pens unposted, and I find the Dostoevsky very pleasant when used in this way. Posted, it shifts its balance noticeably backward, and it is heavier than I can use comfortably for an extended period. Dimensions:

Length posted: 6-7/16" (16.35 cm)

Length capped: 5-3/4" (14.61 cm)

Length uncapped: 5-3/32" (12.94 cm)

Barrel length: 4-9/32" (10.87 cm)

Barrel diameter: 0.50" (12.7 mm)

Weight: 0.97 oz (27.4 g)

Rating: 4/5

4. Nib Design & Performance

The nib is a 146-sized monotone gold nib on a standard 146 plastic feed, installed into the section with a threaded collar that is sealed in Montblanc's usual manner to prevent tampering. The nib has a unique Greek-key imprint indicating 18K/750 gold content and the pen's 1997 year of production. Montblanc does not mark nibs to indicate tip size, but I'd call this one a Fine. Since I did not acquire the pen new, my impression of its writing qualities is meaningless; I adjusted the flow and smoothness to suit my taste, and the nib writes very comfortably and consistently.

5. The Filling System

The Dostoevsky is fitted with Montblanc's usual Meisterstück filling system, using standard parts from the 146. The ink view window is entirely clear, not lined into a series of smaller panes as in current Meisterstück production. I prefer self-filling pens to those using cartridges or converters, and Montblanc's is one of the smoothest and most reliable pistons I know.

I disassembled the pen completely to clean out the ink used by the previous owner, and I was surprised to find that ink had bypassed the piston seal; there was liquid ink in the space behind the piston. I suspect that this ink may have found its way past the piston while the pen was in the hands of killer baggage handlers, with a partial load of ink instead of having been completely emptied, and I don't at this point suspect a defect or expect any problems.

6. Cost/Value

The manner in which I acquired the pen makes it inappropriate to comment on its cost to me versus its value. However, if I consider its average street price of approximately $750.00, I think the pen is well worth that price. This is a remarkably well made pen, and a good writer as well.

7. Overall Opinion/Conclusion

Is this a pen I would buy? No. I don't buy pens in its price stratum, and even if I were a player at that level I'd be more likely to purchase a remarkable vintage pen such as a Chilton Golden Quill than a modern pen.

Is it a pen I would recommend that others not buy? No. It's a good pen, well worth its asking price.

Am I pleased with it? Yes! It's a lovely pen, delightful to look at and use. Do I like it as well as I'd like a Chilton Golden Quill? It's different -- a different scenario and aesthetic -- and the question really isn't answerable. I have a Golden Quill, and I'm quite fond of it. I also have a Dostoevsky, and I'm quite fond of it, too.

Overall rating: 5/5

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Richard

• wspohn

• KCat

• adair

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Binder,

I don't have original papers, packaging, or an original box. I do; however, have the little informational booklet that MontBlanc printed out for this specific pen. This is the kind of booklet you might find on a pen dealers countertop, for customers to take and drool over. PM me your mailing address and I'll send it to you if you want it. I tried scanning it and emailing it to you; however, my email account doesn't allow file attachments that large.

Fantastic review Richard. I also have the Dostoevsky and i really like it. It is probably the only Writers edition MB i like, and the main reasons for that, just like you mention, are its simplicity, elegance and manufacturing quality. I think i paid about 300$ on ebay about a year ago which was a price i could live with. The pen was slightly used.

I don't think i would go for any other MB limited edition pens, but this is a pen worth having.

Nikolaos

Richard, can we take most of your comments, insofaras they also apply to the base pen, the 146, as an approval of that model, normally available in the sub $250 range?

I enjoy that model (as well as the 149).

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

Richard, can we take most of your comments, insofaras they also apply to the base pen, the 146, as an approval of that model, normally available in the sub $250 range?

Draw your own conclusions, bearing in mind my remarks concerning the section design.

Draw your own conclusions, bearing in mind my remarks concerning the section design.

I thought that MB were hard to open up - but obviously there aren't any cements or parts needed that you couldn't deal with.

What do you use to reseal the section - some sort of non-hardening cement?

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

I thought that MB were hard to open up - but obviously there aren't any cements or parts needed that you couldn't deal with.

What do you use to reseal the section - some sort of non-hardening cement?

Taking apart a Montblanc is a good way to purchase either another pen or some Montblanc repair work.

The pens are sealed with a proprietary pink-colored sealant that behaves in a manner similar to RTV, and when you break it free it is more likely than not to get all twisted, folded over itself, and jammed. The next turn you apply will then shatter the section. Oh, and you'll have to manufacture some custom-fitted spanners before you can even get started. (You can't buy them from Montblanc, and I know of no one else who sells these specific tools.)

You can't buy parts, either.

I seriously recommend that you not undertake the disassembly of a Montblanc Meisterstück until you have the equivalent of several years' full-time pen repair experience under your belt.

Edited by Richard