Sailor Concord Cross

zenpen

Just got a very cool pen in the mail today. A Sailor Concord Cross nib on a standard large black 1911 body.

Could be the ultimate dual purpose nib. Writing normally, its a medium-fine line, inverted it's a wonderfully wet medum Fine to BBB.

I really like this pen! :thumbup:

Inverted, it writes like a Togi, where the writing width varies depending on the angle you hold the pen. Inverted, it writes from a Medium-fine at a not too high 70 degree writing angle to a BBB (2 mm) reversed-stub at 45 degrees.

Joe Camosy

http://josephcamosy.smugmug.com/photos/198829592-O.jpg

http://josephcamosy.smugmug.com/photos/198829561-O.jpg

http://josephcamosy.smugmug.com/photos/198829524-O.jpg

http://josephcamosy.smugmug.com/photos/198829516-O.jpg

http://josephcamosy.smugmug.com/photos/198829492-O.jpg

http://josephcamosy.smugmug.com/photos/198829534-O.jpg

http://www.eloquentimaging.com/photos/198853218-O.jpg

Joe Camosy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zenpen

• saintsimon

• Sciopod

• geonut

Wicked!!!!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thanks for sharing the photos. They really bring the nib to life. Cheers.

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

That looks like a seriously cool nib. Please keep us updated as to how you get on with it. Oh, and great photos by the way.

Vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit

Just got a very cool pen in the mail today. A Sailor Concord Cross nib on a standard large black 1911 body.

Could be the ultimate dual purpose nib. Writing normally, its a medium-fine line, inverted it's a wonderfully wet medum Fine to BBB.

I really like this pen! :thumbup:

Inverted, it writes like a Togi, where the writing width varies depending on the angle you hold the pen. Inverted, it writes from a Medium-fine at a not too high 70 degree writing angle to a BBB (2 mm) reversed-stub at 45 degrees.

Joe Camosy

http://josephcamosy.smugmug.com/photos/198829516-O.jpg

Joe Camosy

This one looks like a cobra ready for strike!

Great looking nib, also very versatile from writing, fine to write a letter and nice and broad for a bold signature, (anyone else notice the resemblance from some angles to a Klingon warbird about to strike)

Sam,

Aquired the pen on ebay from Taizo O. (aka Japan_antique) . I've never seen this type of nib before so it has to be pretty new. Heck, I might even be the first person in the USA to get one?

Taizo states "The production of the fountain pen of SAILOR is very little. " So this nib is a pretty rare bird right now. It's anybody's guess when the next one will make its appearance.

Here was the auction, so you can get an idea of what one might go for, if and when another one might make an appearance on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...mp;sspagename=A

Joe Camosy

Wicked nib-almost enough to make me want another pen...but I have another already picked out-and its italian, but this is damn fine!!

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

I assume it was designed for some purpose but I can't figure out what it is? It has to be more than just a turn over and write a different size on the back of the nib as various pen companys have been doing that for decades with a simple grind. AIR, Richard Binder offers it as a service at the present time. SO, why the complicated designe? What was it really designed for?

YMMV

I assume it was designed for some purpose but I can't figure out what it is? It has to be more than just a turn over and write a different size on the back of the nib as various pen companys have been doing that for decades with a simple grind. AIR, Richard Binder offers it as a service at the present time. SO, why the complicated designe? What was it really designed for?

The Sailor cross nib is effectively two nibs stuck together, one on top of the other. The divide between the two nibs forms the horizontal of the "cross", the tines the vertical. This design produces incredibly wet ink flow, unlike any other nib I've experienced. It also produces a huge sweet spot, delivering a very smooth writing experience. Finally, it obviously makes for a very broad nib, with the line varying according to the angle the pen is held at.

The original cross nib (which I have) produces a line varying between (I'd guess) broad and XXXbroad, according to angle of attack, when held the right way round. When inverted it produces a very fine (but for Sailor rather scratchy) line. I don't find it comfortable to use inverted for long stretches.

I love my cross nib dearly, and use it every day. but I'd be the first to admit that its not going to be practical for everyone. It's very wet, and very broad, so you need big handwriting (and a big ink budget - if this pen were a car it would win the friends of OPEC award).

This new version seems much more practical. Held the right way up you should get a super smooth wet medium fine line, inverting and you're back to the traditional cross nib. In other words, you should get a range of widths from medium fine through to XXXbroad in one nib. I'd love to try it out.

I imagine the cross nib (like many of Sailor's speciality nib designs) was primarily designed for writing Japanese calligraphy, where you need the ability to vary line widths extensively (I imagine). However, its qualities should also appeal to the rest of us as well.

Vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit

I imagine the cross nib (like many of Sailor's speciality nib designs) was primarily designed for writing Japanese calligraphy, where you need the ability to vary line widths extensively (I imagine). ......

Hmmm, that makes sense. I couldn't see any reason for it to exist for writing 'anglishy' script...

YMMV

I admire the nib, and I understand its appeal. If the tines became misaligned, I wonder what techniques could be used to realign them ?

I think, the nibmeisters at Sailor back in Japan would do their miracles.

Obviously, these numerous tines are there for a good, wet flow of a signature pen. You know, da big contracts and such ...

Good luck trying to get that pen past airport security. That nib is made to kill. Wow beautiful. Congrats.

Everyman, I will go with thee

and be thy guide,

In thy most need to go

by thy side.

-Knowledge