Wing Sung

pmsalty

I decided to wait a while before putting pen to paper concerning this pen. I have desired this pen for a while and I wanted to drive it for a while before putting my thoughts down on paper. :ltcapd: . This was my second purchase from Todd over at ISELLPENS.com. Again delivery was quick and everything arrived snug as a bug.

First Impressions

I opened the box and before me was at first glance a striking looking green pen. Upon closer inspection its pedestrian origins hit me. The green celluloid (plastic) was truly very pretty. However the roughly machined cap that did not quite seem to go stuck out like the proverbial sore thumb. As did the barrel tassie. They appear to be made out of aluminum and unpolished.

post-6714-1189655921_thumb.jpg

Appearance

The overall looks are very nice, if one doesn’t look to close. The green marbleized celluloid is very striking. the cap has a nice sheen to it (so far, only time will tell), The nib is a highly polished gold and since it is so large it does stand out and looks impressive. the finish of the cap is bothersome. The clutch seems to work well. Much nicer than the plastic clutch on my Hero 156. We will see if it causes any marks on the barrel after a period of time.

The clip is just downright cheep looking and feeling. The edges are not polished and look like an unfinished machined piece. The cap itself has engraved lines down its longitude. Again the whole feel is that of something quite not done. Compared with the body of the pen it is quite noticeably not of the same quality. One final note on the appearance; The end of the barrel has a metal (aluminum?) tassie, plain and again looking not quite finished.

Design

The design of the pen seems quite good to me. Again this is a subjective rating. The pen feels good in my hand. A bit light for my taste but still very comfortable both posted and not. It is quite sticking looking. Especially when being used.

Nib

The nib was scratchy “out of the box.” My limited experience with fine nibs is that they are a bit more toothy than other sizes. And this is compounded by my being left handed. After some strokes on a paper sack the nib seemed to smooth out. It is almost as smooth as my Parker 21 fine point. Just slightly more toothy. Lays down a fine line that is a bit drier than my other pens. It fact it is the driest writer of my stable. I have only used Waterman’s Havana Brown it it. I will update when I change inks in it. (update) I have since changed inks and the result is a different pen. I changed to Swishmix Midnight Black and now the pen writes like a dream. The nib is not the smoothest I have ever used but it is no longer scratchy but like a very smooth crow-quill. that still isn't smooth like an Estie or a Waterman but it doesn't skip nor burp. It is great in my planner and on moleskien. No bleed through and a very fine line.

post-6714-1189655992_thumb.jpg

Filling System

Areometric, simple, effective and painless.

post-6714-1189656019_thumb.jpg

Cost and Value

Inexpensive, pretty, has a good fit for my hand and write well.

post-6714-1189655968_thumb.jpg

Conclusion

Better than average. The more pens I own and use the more discriminating the review. This does not come close in value however to my Duke Esteem. The Duke writes better than all my pens except my Esterbrook. It is also among the heaviest of my heaviest pens. But the duke has a brass body.

The Wing Sung though is a very nice inexpensive addition to my collection.

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pmsalty

• Ed Svoboda

• French

• Jazzbaby

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PMSalty, thanks for the review! I am a fan of the Wing Sung 237 (the one in your review) and the 233. They're good writers and very inexpensive, and you're right, the green finish on yours is very striking!

Lisa

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

Looks like a cool colored Parker 45 body with a Sheaffer triumph nib and Sheaffer school pen cap! Thanks for the review!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have three of them and have only used one so far. My experience was that the celluloid discolors quickly from dipping into the bottle (using Waterman). The pen worked great for about eight weeks and then it started to leak. Another week and it really leaked. Tossed it and haven't gotten back to the other two yet.

www.fountainpenforum.com

www.woodwindforum.com/community

www.ejsvoboda.com

Hi. I've got one of the brown celluloid Wing Sung 237s, the nib started a bit toothy, but after a few pages of writing it smoothed right out. With my pen, the section is darker when it is full of ink, but I wouldn't say it is stained. When I first got the pen I thought the steel cap was an eyesore, but the combination of steel cap and celluloid body has grown on me. This pen gets heavy use in my organizer, the fine nib does a good job on the small Franklin Covey lines. For the money, I think this is a very satisfactory pen.

Hi. I've got one of the brown celluloid Wing Sung 237s, the nib started a bit toothy, but after a few pages of writing it smoothed right out. With my pen, the section is darker when it is full of ink, but I wouldn't say it is stained. When I first got the pen I thought the steel cap was an eyesore, but the combination of steel cap and celluloid body has grown on me. This pen gets heavy use in my organizer, the fine nib does a good job on the small Franklin Covey lines. For the money, I think this is a very satisfactory pen.

French,

It has become my planner pen also. I now keep it in my Franklin Covey planner. It works better than any other pen I have for that specific purpose. No bleed through and it loves the Swishmix Midnight Black.

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

I have three of those same pens in different colours & they all write very nicely. No leaks in mine yet even though they have had heay use for several months now. The only one I have noticed any staining on is the Butterscotch (orange) colored. I am very happy with mine.

"Auld Nature swears, the lovely dears

Her noblest work she classes, O,

Her prentice han' she tried on man,

An' then she made the lasses, O."

- Robert Burns

Support the EXCELLER FUND & pay the FERDINAND FEE

www.fund4horses.org

• 3 months later...
The Wing Sung though is a very nice inexpensive addition to my collection.

PMS

THANX PM FOR THE REVIEW!

I GOT THE BROWN CELLULOID. I THINK THE BROWN MATCHES BETTER WITH THE GOLD NIB.

THE NUMBER ONE THING I DON'T LIKE IS THE FACT THAT DOESN'T HOLD ENOUGH INK IN THE RESERVOIR!!!!... OTHER THAN THAT IS A GOOD PEN (HAD FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW, I'VE KEPT IT INKED [REFILLED A FEW TIMES] AND NO LEAKS YET).

NUMBER TWO, I DON'T LIKE THE MISSMATCH IN COLORS: CHROME CAP, GOLD NIB THING (THAT'S WHY I GOT THE BROWN) (IT GOES WELL WITH SOME OF MY SUITS AND TIES :roflmho: )

ENJOY IT!

• 9 months later...