• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• baz666

• christob

• robeck

• PAKMAN

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone tell me what a "z" means on '45 nib? (sorry if this has been covered somewhere else).

Hi

Z to the best of my knowledge is A "Broad Oblique" nib

Regards

Paul

It took me a while, but I found it again - a chart with all the 45 nib sizes and codes. This is the link.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=18818

Donnie

edited to note that the link works.

Edited by donwinn

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Hi

I have been trying to compile a full and accurate list of Parker 45 nib codes for some time (with relative success).

Here are the results

If there are any glaring mistakes or you can fill in any of the blanks please let me know. Ta

Paul

Accountant (A) nib

Needle (N) nib

Extra Fine (X) nib

Fine (F) nib

Medium (M) nib

Broad ( B ) nib

Double broad (BB) nib ?

Stub (S) nib

Extra Fine Italic ( ) nib ?

Fine Italic ( C ) nib

Medium Italic (D) nib

Broad Italic (E) nib

Fine Oblique (FO) nib ?

Medium Oblique ( R ) nib

Broad Oblique (Z) nib

Fine Oblique Italic (H) nib

Medium Oblique Italic (J) nib

(Y) nib?

(L) nib?

(O) nib?

Edited by baz666

Thanks for the great list! I printed it out for my records. I want to pick up an Extra Fine for my flighter. It says F but writes like an M

Edited by pakmanpony

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thanks for the great list! I printed it out for my records. I want to pick up an Extra Fine for my flighter. It says F but writes like an M

Hey no problem, glad you found it helpful.

And dont forget it is dead easy to swop nibs between holders on the Parker 45, the nibs are not marked for size (only the holder).

So your fine nib could easily be a medium nib in a fine holder :headsmack:

Regards

Paul

I recently bought a couple of nos 45 nibs from susan wirth. A 10k gold stub and 10k gold oblique in the original factory packaging :bunny01:

PARKER 51 RULES

• 9 months later...

I have a Harlequin 45 (steel nib, shield design) given to me as a 21st birthday present in 1981. I am still using it today though it has a problem - the plastic thread on the section now no longer grips the metal thread of the body properly and will continue to turn rather than tighten. It is still usable if I'm careful but does anyone know where I can get a replacement section? I want to keep the nib as it is a rather special, very smooth "Y".

I noticed in the list of nib designators above that "Y" is still an unknown. Well the one I have writes with a thick line and in italic. I don't know how to determine whether it's a stub or italic - what's the difference? (I'm showing my ignorance here :embarrassed_smile: ). I should point out that I'm a lefty and the nib works perfectly for me so I assume it's a reverse italic/stub/oblique of some sort.

Regards,

Dean

Edited by robeck

There's a couple of red sections in this post in the Marketplace, which was the thing I was looking at just before this thread. Serendipitous!

Thanks for the heads-up. Sadly, the colour doesn't do it for me :unsure: and the asking price was a bit steep. I've now sourced a complete pen which I can use for parts so that's sorted.

I'm still interested to know from anybody more clued up than me as to what a "Y" nib is...

Regards,

Dean

Edited by robeck

I recently bought a couple of nos 45 nibs from susan wirth. A 10k gold stub and 10k gold oblique in the original factory packaging :bunny01:

do you mind saying how much they were? The only stub/italic I could find was on ebay, and it was around $50....

• 4 weeks later...
There's a couple of red sections in this post in the Marketplace, which was the thing I was looking at just before this thread. Serendipitous!

Thanks for the heads-up. Sadly, the colour doesn't do it for me :unsure: and the asking price was a bit steep. I've now sourced a complete pen which I can use for parts so that's sorted.

I'm still interested to know from anybody more clued up than me as to what a "Y" nib is...

Regards,

Dean

I've just bought a 45 flighter on Ebay for £3. I only bought it because I thought it had a broad nib. (The seller didn;t say what it was). Turns out it is a 'Y'. I know nothing about nibs but it definiytely has what looks to me like a left oblique cut - unfortunately I don't have a lens which will capture it well enough. (I've also mentioned it in the Parker 45 nib thread).

Oh and I'm a lefty too and can write with it well enough.....

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

• 5 years later...

Both of mine are indicated "M", however one is clearly much finer. I think is a replacement. The one I know is an M is 14k, the other is steel but it is either F or XF.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

There is a fair amount of manufacturing tolerance/slop in the nibs of the old pens.

I measured the tips width of mine with a dial caliper, accurate to 0.001 inch.

And I had marked Parker F nibs of that era range from 0.018 to 0.031 inch, and Parker M nibs range from 0.028 to 0.039 inch. So you can see that there is a wide range in tolerance, and that there is an overlap where a wide F could be wider than a narrow M.

BTW this is not only Parker, I have 2 Esterbrook nibs, where the F nib is wider than the M nib.

There is also a difference in tip construction that results in different tip profiles which then results in different width ink lines. A sphere/ball tip will have a narrow ink line compared to a horizontal cylinder or a slab.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com