Bexley BX701 Cappucino

penguinmaster

Appearance and Finish

http://facstaff.uww.edu/pellizzt/Pen%20Collection/Picture%20013.jpg

This pen is a superb pen in my eyes. It's my first "expensive" pen. Honestly though, the finish on this pen I think is amazing. The few people that have seen it so far have all said it looks like you could eat it. I would have to agree with them. I like the fact that in small parts of the pen is it kind of see-through, but not totally. I was afraid when seeing pictures from the Bexley site that the label on the pen was going to be extremely prominent, but luckily when I received the pen the imprint is not very noticeable.

The fit and finish of the pen is very good as well. All the parts seem to be machined right and fit nice and snugly. My only complaint that I have is that the clip seems to have a bit more give then I would like when moving it from side to side. It's by no means a dealbreaker with this pen though, I just feel you have to be a bit more careful with it. Granted, my previous daily user pen is a Rotring 600, so I'm sure everything is a more flexible than that!

Score: 9/10 - A 9 because of the clip

Size and Weight

Pen is to me pretty lightweight, granted again, compared to the 600 anything is. I also tend to write with heavier pens overall, so this pen was a nice change to lightweight. The length of the pen unposted is very comfortable in my hand (I think I have a medium sized hand for reference). It's length leads it to be quite balanced in my hand. I tried writing with it posted in my hand, but to me it's just to long, still balanced I feel, but too long.

Score: 10/10

Nib Design and Function

http://facstaff.uww.edu/pellizzt/Pen%20Collection/Picture%20015.jpg

I received this pen with a steel fine nib. It seems to match my handwriting rather well. It came matching the furniture on the outside of the pen (as stated on their site), so gold toned. The nib itself writes beautifully, in my novice hands I'd call it butter-smooth. I have it filled with Private Reserve Orange Crush right now and it glides over the paper nicely. I'm not sure how it would compared with a gold nib, as I've never had one, but to me this one is just fine. I filled it when I first received it and it has yet to skip or dry out when writing so I'm about as happy as I can be with that!

Score: 10/10

Overall Impression

I really like this pen. As said before it's my first pen that I've saved up for and waited and can finally take off my list. It was worth every penny of it. Also, the price point of this pen is great. It is one of Bexley's less expensive pens, but by no means a less quality pen as far as I can tell. All things considered I would purchase this pen again! It would be nice to have all three colors! I give it an overall score of 9.6/10 only because of the clip issue! I will post a writing sample and picture later in the day!

Overall Score: 9.6/10

Handwriting Sample- Excuse the crappy handwriting

Edited by MYU

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penguinmaster

• GirchyGirchy

• John Cullen

• Keng

Nice review. Thanks for sharing. Is the fine nib equivalent to the usual fine and a wet writer?

Mike

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb

Nice review. The other cool thing is that you can unscrew the nib like you would unscrew a Pelikan nib unit and then get another steel nib in another size for about $20. j

Very nice review. Well done. Thanks for sharing.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Thanks for the great review. I'm considering a Bexley at the moment, and the 701 is one of the models I would be interested in.....so this is really helpful to me.

Mal

Edited by mallymal1

Good review, thanks! I've really been enjoying the two Bexley pens I own, so I ordered a 701 last week. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Very nice Bexley! looks very edible! :lol:

I have that Orange Crush and it is a very nice dark Orange with very nice shading which matches your pen.

I love those swirls!

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Love the color scheme of the pen! Great review, thanks!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Very nice Bexley! looks very edible! :lol:

I have that Orange Crush and it is a very nice dark Orange with very nice shading which matches your pen.

I love those swirls!

Wow! I received my Onyx (black and grey with caramel swirls), and it's absolutely gorgeous. Penguinmaster's first pictures shows some of the depth, but you really have to see them in person. Just beautiful.

Oragne Crush is nice, too - that was the first bottle of FP ink I purchased! Found it on clearance for cheap.

Thanks for the kind words everybody...that was my first real review! I actually have loaded that pen now with Noodler's Golden Brown...talk about an awesome color/pen combination. It looks like I'm writing with melted caramel now, so now I want to eat the pen...and the paper...

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

• 12 years later...