Monteverde Invincia

faustulus

I recently picked up a Monteverde Invinca in carbon fiber. It is the same pen that has been previously reviewed on the forum in its Black Tie and Tartan models. I was initially not going to write a review of the Invinica because of these other reviews. However, after reading them and even experincing some of the same difficulties catalogued in those posts I thought it might be useful to give my impressions of the pen and the process to get it to mee my satisfaction.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-7/1269558/DSC_0007.jpg

The Invincia is quite a striking pen. The chrome and black carbon fiber give it a cold, industrial look. Some would say 'hard.

My first impressions were generally favorable. The Invincia arrived in a green, clamshell box, eerily similar to an old Shaffer box I have. There was nothing espeically noteworthy about the packaging itself.

The pen came with a converter and four ink cartridges. I tried one of the cartridges (blue) and although it worked well enough I prefer to use Noodler's.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-7/1269558/DSC_0009.jpg

Although the color scheme of chrome and black seems conservative, the woven carbon fiber does add a bit of pizzaz to this monochromatic piece. It kind of reminds me of an amalgamation of a muscle car and a modern sports car. The chrome representing the old style, while the carbon fiber provides a nod to the present.

After playing with the pen a while, I did notice a few things which bothered me. When I first opened the box I noticed the cap had come loose during shipping. 'No big deal' I thought. However, when I pressed the cap down it didn't feel secure. The slightest pressure would force it loose again. I always felt as if it were just about to fall off.

If feels much the same way posted. I don't normally post my pens, but I suspect that if I did the Invincia would drive me crazy (There are some who would say that would be a very short drive -- There are others that would suggest I just walk).

The cap fits down frimly enough, but because the rim of the cap does not rest against the barrel, the cap tends to float around when you are writing.

The Invincia is a heavy pen -- which I prefer. It balances well, but you will notice the weight. It is only slightly lighter than my Rotring Initial -- 44.20g vs the Initial at 45.41 grams (according to my Dillion Precision scale). It measures 5.545" capped, 5.063" uncapped and 6.043" posted.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-7/1269558/DSC_0003.jpg

When I first started writing with the Invincia I fell in love with its smooth nib. And like any good love affair, I failed to notice some of the flaws.

As we went on a few more dates, some things began to stick out.

She didn't always want to start. Sometimes on a downstroke she would forget to lay any ink down. But she was smooth when she did work. I thought I was making more of it than I should. After all we all have our flaws and I wasn't convinced it wasn't partly my fault.

Maybe I wasn't holding her right. A change in grip later and we still had the same problems.

Well then perhaps her diet was at the root of the problem. We switched from our favorite Noodler's to Namiki, then to Private Reserve and finally to the cartridges.

She showed signs of improvement along the way, but he problem never really left.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-7/1269558/DSC_0004.jpg

Finally I decided this wasn't working and that we needed outside help if this relationship was to continue.

I emailed Monteverde/Yafa. A day later Clara emailed me back asking what color my Invincia was. She said she would ship our a new section and nib.

I replied and a day later there was a package at my door. (Talk about fast).

I unscrewed the old section and replaced it with the new one. My what a difference it made. It was like a breath of fresh air. The relationship was new again. She wrote like a dream and never failed to lay down a nice wet line. What's more now the cap fit snuggly.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-7/1269558/DSC_0006.jpg

As you can see from the pictures, the new nib has been redesigned. It is longer and the feed section has been extended. I must say since I got the new nib and grip the pen has been an absolute delight. The old nib wrote beautifully -- when it wrote. The new one is just as nice -- maybe with a little more feedback. The new end alleviated the cap issue as well. Now I have a pen that just works.

I read one post where a Monteverde owner said after his experince he would buy another pen from the company. I feel just the opposite. After Clara's quick response and the performance of the pen following its transplant, I foresee another Monteverde in my future.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cloud

• Jigglypuff

• myyrkezaan

• sdcurnow

A nice review, both of the initial problems, and the subsequent resolution. Just this week in my email update to customers, I mention the fact that the Invincia has been updated with the new, larger section, feed and nib. Besides creating a better performing pen, the change in size has also produced a much more balanced look and feel to the model. The original nib assembly on the Invincia was always too small. As I said in my email:

"Monteverde Invincia grows up

As of July, 2007, the Invincia fountain pen

(all models), has been re-designed with a

larger nib! The Invincia has always been an

oversized pen -- with an undersized nib.

Monteverde has listened to its customers and

has retro-fitted the model with a new

section, feed and the new large nib first

exhibited by the Mega

M3 combo pen. The pen now measures a

full 6" with its cap posted, and the overall

look of the pen is now much more in balance."

Regards,

Norman Haase

His Nibs.com

www.hisnibs.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HisNibs1

Lol,

This means they updated the pens two different times. Mine is in the back of a drawer. I had an initial nib which was bigger the the small one you have on the picture. It would have the same problem, not starting, stopping, inconsistent flow... I sent it to Clara at Yafa, and received the small nib you have on the picture. It also had the same problems you describe. This is what made me quit the pen, after a repair, it should at least work... Maybe they got their things together after all.

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

• 1 month later...

I contacted Clara at Yafa yesterday with similar concerns and she was very helpful. She immediately offered to send me a new nib. I love dealing with firms that support their products. I'll definitely do business with Monteverde again. :D

------------------------------

Edit: 9/12/07 I received the new section and nib today. I screwed it on and loaded it with "Blurple" and gave it a test write. This was a definite improvement. All of the previous problems are gone and the pen can be restored to the status of "daily writer."

Edited by sdcurnow

Curnow Bookbinding & Leatherwork

See us on Facebook

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

• 2 months later...
I recontacted Clara to have the newest nib but fees were 22$. No way I am spending that much (again on this pen)

i contacted her today and she said she would send me a new nib part but she didnt take down and payment info and made it sound like was free.

this makes me wonder if she is going to same bad nib that people have issues with or a new nib that actually works.

• 2 months later...

This is my first fp and i had the same problems with the small nib. Clara sent me the newer larger nib and section and it words better, but not perfect. It's pretty consistent when I'm using a wetter ink. Not so much skipping anymore. Definitely a flow problem though because I have to open it up every now and again and push some ink down from the piston. Also, the longer nib apparently flexes when the cap is on, because whenever I uncap it the nib has a little bit of ink drool on the top of the nib. And when I rinse out the cap it runs dirty from ink. Hm...

• 2 years later...

I have recently purchased 3 of these pens (2010) and have not had any of the problems that have been described. Either I am very lucky or they have addressed all of the concerns voiced in 2007-2008. It is a heavy pen, which I like and the flow with Noodlers inks has been very satisfactory. Maybe a little wet, but nothing excessive. Also, I have flown on planes with them without any leakage or problems. One of these pens is always in my current rotation.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the great review faustulus. I have been thinking about getting one of these for a few weeks and even started a thread about it. Then someone linked to your review and now I am convinced.

I'm glad people take the time to write helpful reviews like this.

Dan

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up the Invincia Tartania today (green, red and black woven pattern) from Tuesday Morning for $24.99 (last one in stock!) and took it to a nearby bookstore where the supplied ink cartridge saw a quick start and a SMOOTH, WET write.

I have a DIVA lipstick pen and this pen and I'd get more in the future, for certain! Not all IPG (Iridium Point Germany) nibs are good, but some really can be smooth, wet writers (this one and the Pen & Ink Sketch pen come to mind).

• 2 weeks later...

I just found a Tartania fountain pen at Tuesday Morning as well. I couldn't pass it up at such a great price ($24.95).

• 5 months later...

I also just bought a Tartania at Tuesday Morning here in Florida for the same price stated above ($24.99). No converter with the pen, only a single black cartridge inside the barrel. I'm a bottled ink user so I'll definitely get a converter. The pen is a fine point and the first impressions are that the nib is quite smooth but the cartridge ink is pale and feels a bit dry. This particular store also had the Tartania ballpoints and some Parker Sonnets in the cabinet, so I had to make my Sophie's Choice and go with this fountain pen. Not a bad pen for the price, I must admit. I'm sure the Invincia Black Tie roller ball I own must have cost more several years ago.

• 7 months later...

I just picked up a F nib Stealth version. I like the look and heavy feel -- I have really big hands and wrists (no, don't go there! I've been a rock climber for 20+ years).

But things went south from there. I was filling the converter with a new bottle of Aurora Blue and the entire nib section fell into the bottle! I had noticed the sloppy feeling fitting but discounted it. I gloved up and got out some surgcal tweezers and fished it out.

After clean up and assembly, I noticed it lays down a really fine, light line. Pressure yields more ink but it's like writng with a Bic ballpoint at that point. And I worry that the loose converter is a ticking ink bomb! This pen scares me. No way am I taking it out of the house.

I will contact Monteverde on Monday and let you know what transpires.

- OPG4711

• 5 weeks later...

I just picked up a F nib Stealth version. I like the look and heavy feel -- I have really big hands and wrists (no, don't go there! I've been a rock climber for 20+ years).

But things went south from there. I was filling the converter with a new bottle of Aurora Blue and the entire nib section fell into the bottle! I had noticed the sloppy feeling fitting but discounted it. I gloved up and got out some surgcal tweezers and fished it out.

After clean up and assembly, I noticed it lays down a really fine, light line. Pressure yields more ink but it's like writng with a Bic ballpoint at that point. And I worry that the loose converter is a ticking ink bomb! This pen scares me. No way am I taking it out of the house.

I will contact Monteverde on Monday and let you know what transpires.

Did you ever contact them?

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased one of the Monteverde Invincia carbon fiber FP's just recently over Memorial Day weekend, and I regret to report that the same issues continue to exist today. The ink flows inconsistently, resulting in a splotchy, patchy, incomplete look to the written words.

By contrast, my blue and yellow Monteverde Regatta FP writes like an absolute dream. The ink flows immediately-and perfectly-the first time, and every time, (even after not using it for weeks), and it is unbelievably silky smooth, producing amazingly clean, clear, and beautiful written results. I am using the Pelikan 4001 model cartidge.

I simply can't say enough about the Monteverde Regatta fountain pen! It is an absolute joy to use, and stunning to look at.

Kind regards,

-rick

I purchased one of the Monteverde Invincia carbon fiber FP's just recently over Memorial Day weekend, and I regret to report that the same issues continue to exist today. The ink flows inconsistently, resulting in a splotchy, patchy, incomplete look to the written words.

By contrast, my blue and yellow Monteverde Regatta FP writes like an absolute dream. The ink flows immediately-and perfectly-the first time, and every time, (even after not using it for weeks), and it is unbelievably silky smooth, producing amazingly clean, clear, and beautiful written results. I am using the Pelikan 4001 model cartidge.

I simply can't say enough about the Monteverde Regatta fountain pen! It is an absolute joy to use, and stunning to look at.

Kind regards,

-rick

I have the Color Fusion and Carbon and they both write the same once the Carbon has gotten started. The Carbon is working better now as compared to when I first used it, it would take some time before it flowed, now a couple of scribbles sometimes first time. The Carbon's line is a hair wider which could be the difference in ink between the pens. I enjoy the look, feel and writing of these pens so much that I'll eventually get the White Fine, also looking at the Prima or Sonata too.

I think I've been luckier than most with them, but I will have someone at the Washington Pen Show take a look at both of them to see whats different.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased an Invincia and a Regatta from Tuesday Morning for $18.00 a piece. I could not be happier with them. Due to the price, I use these pens all the time.

1 Homo Sapien BA Maxi & Mech Pencil, HS Misnight in Florence, 2 Van Goghs 1 Blue Ocean Midi S Nib/1 Cappuccino Midi 14k Trim, 3 MBs 149/144/221, 2 Wm Phileas 1 Blue w/ mech pencil, 1 Demo, 1 Snorkel Sent., 3 MVs Regatta/Invincia/Artista,2 EB J - BSP,I am Not Affiliated with any website, company or product I might mention on this site."

I just picked up the Invincia in Chrome and Carbon Fiber and it has the same issue described. I contacted Clara through the Monteverde site, and she tells me just to clean and re-seat the nib and feed. . . Then she tells me if that doesn't fix the issue, I need to send it in to be fixed and I (think) will be responsible for the shipping but does that also mean I'm going to have to pay for the new section / repair? I feel it a bit ridiculous that I would have to spend more money on this pen to get it functioning as it should have from the factory.

• 2 months later...

I just bought the Invincia Stealth fountain pen with medium nib from Amazon.com. The pen looks great, but seems to be a dry writer. I have had many fountain pens and find that this one is difficult to start and when started, lays down a very pale line.

I tried this using the cartridge converter and Waterman blue ink.

I decided to return the pen. I cannot stand using a fountain pen that doesn't lay down a wet line.