Sailor 1911

adair

After reading all of the praise heaped upon the Sailor 1911, and hearing that the pen was about to be discontinued, I decided to purchase not one but two medium-nibbed, gold-trim versions. My two Sailors came from two different and reputable online sellers, who offered their usual excellent service.

My first impression of the pens was: quality! The weight, heft, and obvious craftmanship were immediate delights. Then, on to the writing test...Here, unfortunately, both pens disappointed. Though I appreciated the clear articulation of each letter that these mediums allowed (writing more like fine nibs), the drag was noticeable and bothersome. On Ampad Gold Fibre Retro paper, the flow became extremely poor, the lines dry. On Rhodia blank, flow was a little better but the drag still noticeable. Then, at work, I tried to take notes on Rhodia gridded paper and had to switch to a medium Pelikan, as the drag and dryness on the Sailors simply impeded any fast tempo writing. Last night, I compared the Sailors to my NOS Sheaffer Balance II (also a medium). I had rather neglected my Balance II for several months. The Balance lacked the sense of solidity of the Sailors, to be sure, feeling more plastic and light-weight, and yet...The Balance 14-K medium nib wrote smooth as butter, with amazing flow and ease, outperforming the Sailors! The Balance layed down a not-too-thick medium line (capable of small marginalia if need be), just right, with sufficient wetness, but without the excessive thickness, say, of some Pelikan mediums.

I want to love these Sailor 1911's; they are impressive-looking, but I know that I will turn to other pens, especially my rediscovered Balance II, for real, daily writing. The drag on the Sailor nibs makes me wonder why they are so admired by pen enthusiasts. Are they pens essentially for writers who enjoy the slow precision of extra-fine, dry lettering? I have read in another recent post that even the broad nibs have drag.

Is the Sailor Sapporo medium equally dry, or might this model be closer to my writing style---a not-too-thick medium with steady flow and smoothness?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bob393

• adair

• jbn10161

• Wizergig

Top Posters In This Topic

See my response here.

Also, my Sapporo medium (14k, unmodified round nib) is more of a F-M, extremely well mannered feed, so that it is always wet enough without being sloppy, and wonderfully smooth. But... the pen is on the short side. The section is a good size, not small, and the pen is long enough so the top can rest unposted on that area between the thumb's knuckle and the index finger's knuckle, but if you're after giant pens the Sapporo may not be the one.

Edited by jbn10161

JN

Just to throw some water on the fire, it now appears the 1911 will not be going out of production in the devastating manor it has richly received.

"LIFE………….is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What A Ride!"

I have several Sailor 1911s and I buy them especially for the nibs.

I feel a nib should write glass smooth and all of them did except for one.

I sent the one that had nib problems to Richard Binder who worked his magic and now it is one of my regularly used pens.

You might find to Richard Binder to be well worth his price. I certainly did.

:thumbup:

Bobby Check

Why carry one pen when four will do!

Member of the Calgary Pen Club: <A href="http://www.calgarypenclub.com/" target=_blank>http: //www.calgarypenclub.com/

Good information, ( on both threads ) for some reason I thought 1911's had great nibs and was all set to buy one. I guess I will keep away.

Thanks

Harv

My Sailor Sapporo has no drag. It is super smooth and suited to really fast writing.

Your review really surprises me!

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member