Sheaffer Legacy 2

Stompy

http://photos22.flickr.com/29275802_22cb4ec69f.jpg

This is a modern version of the Sheaffer PFM (Pen For Men) which goes some way to explain why this could be used as a club in a tight spot. I've only recently been turned on to Sheaffer pens. Last year I only had a Sheaffer School pen. Now I have 4 and this is my newest acquisition. A two colour pen. The cap is matt black, and the body is brushed platinum plate. The trim is palladium plated, and the nib is palladium plated 18k gold. The fit and finish is excellent. The cap is a snap on and off, and it requires a good manly action and produces a satisfying 'click'.

http://photos23.flickr.com/29275702_11fbf5e208.jpg

Let's look at this compared with a TM (Thin Model Touchdown), not the extra length and girth. This is not a small pen. 14cm capped, 12 cm uncapped. I don't post and when I tried to do so for this review the sound of metal on metal just put me off. It's probably safe to post, but I'm not going to do it. The girth is about 13mm, but I find it a comfortable fit for my hand. This is a hefty pen, but it feels comfortable and in keeping with the size of the pen. I shall see how it feels after a long write out over the weekend.

http://photos21.flickr.com/29275901_190db43ab2.jpg

Of course, the real engine of a pen is the nib. This is 18k plated with palladium, and this is a Fine grade. This is a firm nib, but not a nail, there is a little spring to it, and it puts down a wet even line. I was surprised to find the tines slightly misaligned but five minutes with a loupe and a fingernail sorted that out. This was my first time aligning tines, and I've learned that it's best to work on a pen that isn't filled to avoid washing tiny flecks of ink off one's face and glasses. The slit is well shaped; a little wider at the breather hole than at the tines, which helps capillary action. The section is smooth and black and the inlay is seamless.

The filling mechanism is a choice between cartridges, or a convertor which lets you use the touchdown filler mechanism. Unlike normal touchdowns, this method requires two strokes to fill. You can feel a good airtight seal when you operate the pneumatic tube, and if you open and then tighten the barrel, you can feel the rubber gasket that it screws down onto to make a good seal as well. There is an obvious join at the blind cap, but I think it looks quite attractive - a detail on the plain brushed finish of the pen.

http://photos22.flickr.com/29275978_39307cda23.jpg

There was no doubt about what to fill this pen with - Waterman Florida Blue. The filling mechanism was painless to use, and the pen started writing straight away. A smooth, but not butter-smooth nib which is good for me because I like a little tooth when I write. And smooth enough to use in a Moleskine without showing through on the other side.

I'm pleased with this pen. A modern version of a vintage classic with an interesting filling mechanism and eye-catching nib. Weighty, but not uncomfortable to write with and nicely balanced in use. A pen I would like to leave as a legacy.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• garythepenman

• grasshopper

• Stompy

• roygbiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great review, Stompy.

I could be wrong but I think apart from the choice of filling mechanisms, there's not much difference between the Legacy II and the Legacy, which I have - the latter is a touchdown filler only.

The Legacy, along with my 1911 demo, are the two pens that are permanently inked (so far anyway). That's how much I like using this pen. And I agree whole-heartedly with your conclusion.

Oh yeah, very neat handwriting too. Makes me think twice about posting mine. :ph34r:

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

Nice Review Stompy.

I'm not at all familiar with the touchdown filling system, would you perhaps takes some pictures of this system?

Thanks,

Bryan

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

Also check out

Penhero Touchdown Article

On the Penhero website.

J. Appleseed

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Hi Stompy,

Great review, very nice pictures!

Would it be possible to show the filling mechanism in a picture as well?

TIA, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Would it be possible to show the filling mechanism in a picture as well?

Thanks for the kind words, I shall sort out some pics tomorrow.

I need to take some pics to review the Danitrio Lacquer over metal pen that I got off Winedoc this weekend as well.

Hi Stompy,

Great! I'll be looking forward to it!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Great review on the pen. Thanks for sharing - looking forward to the upcoming filling system pics.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Super review, Stompy! Took me a while to catch up on the reviews I missed while I was on hiatus from FPN et al...but it was worth it, to read your review :)

I know many people that are Legacy "fans". I don't have a Legacy as my focus is primarily vintage, but I do have a PFM in maroon and it's a great writer.

• 3 months later...

I'm glad I made a purchase of a new Old Stock Legacy II. I didn't realise that it had been superceded by the Legacy Heritage neither did the store I'm purchasing it from. I aksed for a Legacy II in black laquer with stub nib, they called me back saying it was available and at less than 50%. It should arrive this coming week. Great review, it justifies my purchase.

A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

I got NOS Legacy II from Jim at PenHero a few months ago, a duplicate of Stompy's in terms of nib and finish.

Having used it for a few months, it's one of my favorites. I love the Touchdown filler, the nib is smooth and the pen feels solid in the hand. An understated but classy pen, without a doubt.

These pens are the swan song of the Fort Madison craftsmen (and women) who have made some of the world's greatest pens for decades. It's a privilege to own such a pen, and I will treasure it as an example of the last examples of American-made pen craftsmenship.

If I were forced to choose only one fountain pen (Heaven forbid!), I've often thought that it would have to be one from the Legacy series. They're my most-used pens, especially with the great Sheaffer stub nib (no longer available, alas).

Someone in the thread asked to see a picture of the Touchdown mechanism. Sorry for the quality of this old scanned photo, but it gives an idea (the blind cap unscrews to enable you to pull out the mechanism). You then insert the nib into the ink bottle, and when you push in the rod again the pen begins to fill.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/hisnibs/SheafferLegacyBPTouchdown_small.jpg

Blue Pearl Legacy 2

Regards,

Norman Haase

His Nibs.com

www.hisnibs.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HisNibs1

• 2 weeks later...

At last it turned up. My Legacy is fabulous. Black with gold trim and the much sort after stub nib. To say the stub is broad and wet is an understatement. It is huge and so smooth to write with. Often I've heard that broad/stub nibs run a little dry due to the amount of ink they lay down, not this one. I shall have to write in a larger font style as loops etc turn in to a large blob but I'm not complaining. What a great pen, nice big size and some weight as well. I can now see and feel what all the fuss is about.

Gary

I could be wrong but I think apart from the choice of filling mechanisms, there's not much difference between the Legacy II and the Legacy, which I have - the latter is a touchdown filler only.

I have recently read that the Legacy (I) also offers the option of using a cartridge instead of the touchdown filler just like the Legacy II (My apologies if my original post influenced anyone the wrong way). I have yet to confirm this personally as I do not have the need nor desire to dismantle and check/change the system. I'm loving the uniqueness of the Touchdown filler. B)

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

Yep your'e correct, mines got cartridge/convertor which is a personal preference.

Gary

Yep your'e correct, mines got cartridge/convertor which is a personal preference.

Gary

There you go. Thanks, Gary! B)

I'm glad I made a purchase of a new Old Stock Legacy II. I didn't realise that it had been superceded by the Legacy Heritage neither did the store I'm purchasing it from. I aksed for a Legacy II in black laquer with stub nib, they called me back saying it was available and at less than 50%. It should arrive this coming week. Great review, it justifies my purchase.

Which store do you speak of, if I might ask?

I've been looking into this pen for quite sometime.

I'd really like to catch a deal before it is too late.

Thanks for your time.