Pilot custom silver 1960s

Nikolaos

I took these pictures experimenting by taking pictures of the pen placed on a mirror. What do you guys think? The pen is from the Pilot Custon Silvern series that was introduced in the 1960s and the pattern on it is called "winter trees". I bought it about 2 months ago and it is a wonderful writer.

Nikolaos

post-1010-1182582091_thumb.jpg

post-1010-1182582157_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nikolaos

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nikolaos

• meanwhile

• MYU

• Jimmy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice photos there, Nikolaos. I do like the use of the mirror--shows 2 dimensions at once. And I'm jealous of that Silvern! If I remember correctly, you lucked out on quite a deal. These older ones are hard to find... even Stan's excellent vintage pen sale had one priced at over $300.

The Custom nib on those Pilots is fantastic, so I'm not surprised you really enjoy the way this Silvern writes.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Thank you MYU,

yeah i paid about 300$ for it. Russ sold one a couple of weeks ago on ebay for 450$ and i think Stan's was priced at 375$ which i think is a really good price.

I will be doing some more mirror photography with other pens when i get the time. To be honest it was my wife's idea not mine. I really like the fact that you can show 2 dimensions at one go. The only trick is to find a place where you don't pick up a lot of reflections off other stuff around the house.....i guess i will have to get close to the ceiling or something :roller1:

Nice pictures. I bought some days ago the same pen with cranes, I'm waiting for delivery. The first time I saw the modern version, I immediately fell in love with the cranes design. How is the nib ? Were there several nib sizes on this pen in the 70's ?

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

yes the cranes one is also very nice. I am sure you will love it. I think the series of these pens was called custom cause there were many different options of nibs so that when you were buying one it was like a "custom" pen. Most of what you find nowdays though are Fine points because of Japanese writing.

This is an extraordinary pen. There's a modern version???

Hi Jonathan,

I don't think that this pattern was produced in the modern silvern edition. There are some cool patterns in newer pens though as well. I think Stan might even have still one for sale!

Thanks

Great pen. I have the same exact one--found mine in an antiques store years ago. I could never find anything about it until someone pointed me to Lambrou's book. I think the manufacturer name for the pattern was "clump" and the year of production was late 60s, but I'd need to check the book to be sure. Yours is the only other one I've seen. Congratulations!

Nice photos, Nicolaos!

The pattern is called "Fuyu-Kodachi" (冬木立) in Japanese. It roughly translates "winter woods" or "winter trees".

Edited by Taki