Waterman Edson LE

Bryan

Waterman Edson LE

Length: 5 7/8 inches capped, 5 ¼ uncapped (I do not post this pen)

Weight: 2oz

Materials Used: Solid Sterling Silver/palladium-coated/ for both the cap and barrel, translucent blue resin, solid 18k gold nib/rhodium plated

Filling System: Cartridge/Converter

Edition Size: 4000/1000 to be sold in the USA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/WatermanandCSFountainPens001.jpg

Having been a owner of the Waterman Edson in Saphire blue, I had great expectations for the Edson LE. In my opinion, the Edson has raised the level of pen dependability. It has remained the “workhorse” of my collection. Never have I had a problem, never a skip, never leek; it's the perfect writing instrument.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/WatermanandCSFountainPens003.jpg

The Edson LE has come through on all my expectations. I knew from my first Edson that the nibs were very smooth. The LE is even more smooth, it effortlessly glides across any writing surface. The flow is excellent. The nib is very stiff, one could even use this nib to write on carbon copies! This is the only pen I currently allow my twelve year old nephew to use to write in his journal. (He lives with me at this time) I do not need to worry about him pushing down too hard or catching the tines; this nib is simply perfect. Oh, and have I mentioned the nib’s looks? The nib itself is an object of beauty, one of my favorites.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/WatermanandCSFountainPens006.jpg

The body of the Edson LE is crafted in Solid Sterling Silver featuring a quadrillage pattern. The entire cap and barrel are palladium-coated to prevent tarnish. The mirror finish and clean lines give the Edson LE a simple elegance, a very nice looking pen. Fingerprints can be a problems, however nothing a smooth cloth can’t fix. The weight of the pen uncapped is not bad at all. You definitely know it’s there, but it should not be a problem. I’ve used this pen to write many long letters/journal entries with no fatigue whatsoever.

The Edson LE is a fantastic pen. Thanks to Wim for turning me on to this beauty. It’s everything I’d expect from an Edson and much more! My full recommendation on this one. If not the LE then at least the regular line of Edsons.

Bryan

Edited by Bryan
http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen2009

• contravox

• saskia_madding

• RMN

That is one sleek pen!

Question, which part of it is blue resin? What with the fp being silver and its box being blue, I can't tell if I'm seeing any blue amongst the pen or if that's just reflection...

t!

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork

That is one sleek pen!

Question, which part of it is blue resin? What with the fp being silver and its box being blue, I can't tell if I'm seeing any blue amongst the pen or if that's just reflection...

t!

Silver pens are so hard for me to photograph! (Any photography pros out there that can give any advice on how to better snap a shot of Silver pens???) I'll attach a picture from Worldlux to clarify. The blue resin, which actually feel more like glass, is on the nib section only.

Thanks,

Bryan

http://www.worldlux.com/products/waterman/_pens/edsonsterlingsilverle/fullsize3.jpg

Edited by Bryan
http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

Thanks for the review.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

• 10 months later...

I just purchased one of the LE's and absolutely love it! #3112 will be with me for a long, long time!

"I have very simple tastes, I am always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde

Good Grief! Looking at the size of the packaging they should have just wrapped it in a free Samsonite briefcase. :roflmho:

YMMV

With the price I paid, it should have been wrapped in a Boeing 747 <_<

"I have very simple tastes, I am always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde

Nice review. I hope those of you who purchased one of these very much enjoy them for years to come!

Silver pens are so hard for me to photograph! (Any photography pros out there that can give any advice on how to better snap a shot of Silver pens???) 

Your pictures suggest that they were done by a sunny window off to the right side. That'll get you acceptable pictures, but for product photography, all the pros use a light tent or box. These will set you back from $35.00 on up, OR can be made pretty easily by crafty people.

The lights can be all manner of sources, but floods approximating the color temperature of daylight and strobes represent the usual choices. They will also set you back some money. Books showing the procedures step by step are available. A search of Amazon, I'm sure, will turn them up.

If your pen pictures are going to remain an occasional thing, stick with what you're doing, but if you fancy entry into the pen pic worlds of Bill R. or David I., ya just gotta get diffused, controllable lighting on the subject. Heck, David I. uses a lampshade to diffuse his floods, when he removes it from his head! :P

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Nice review, stunning pen.

Bill

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

• 2 years later...

"The LE is even more smooth, it effortlessly glides across any writing surface. The flow is excellent. The nib is very stiff, one could even use this nib to write on carbon copies!"

It's odd I should read this todayas just this afternoon I was using this very pen and actually testing the flex. You have to consciously will the flex but it actually does it quite nicely. There is no loss of smoothness and amazingly the line does not waver. It is the same as if you did not flex it.

Consistent to the last drop.

• 4 weeks later...
Whats a good price for it?

1100 euros is what the pen costs new. A good price would be 750-700 euros. However the nib on this pen as well as the nibs on the edson are totally dull and boring. It has no flex at all (I tested all nibs available on the edson). Compare a Le Man 100 or a Le Man 200 nib to it, it is the night and the day. Tubular nibs like on the Edson and Liaison are not made smooth but rigid. I would rather get an older Man 100 in Silver Sterling for 500 euros than an Edson fitted with a pitchfork.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Silver pens are so hard for me to photograph! (Any photography pros out there that can give any advice on how to better snap a shot of Silver pens???)

Your pictures suggest that they were done by a sunny window off to the right side. That'll get you acceptable pictures, but for product photography, all the pros use a light tent or box. These will set you back from $35.00 on up, OR can be made pretty easily by crafty people.

The lights can be all manner of sources, but floods approximating the color temperature of daylight and strobes represent the usual choices. They will also set you back some money. Books showing the procedures step by step are available. A search of Amazon, I'm sure, will turn them up.

If your pen pictures are gohttps://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?act=Post&CODE=02&f=34&t=3317&qpid=106713

The Fountain Pen Network -> Replying in Waterman Edson LEing to remain an occasional thing, stick with what you're doing, but if you fancy entry into the pen pic worlds of Bill R. or David I., ya just gotta get diffused, controllable lighting on the subject. Heck, David I. uses a lampshade to diffuse his floods, when he removes it from his head! :P

LIGHT BULB COLOR TEMPERATURE:

> floods approximating the color temperature of daylight

That would be 5400 degrees kelvin, average summer sunlight at noon in Washington DC..... pretty tough to find. The Sun at noon has a natural color temp of 100 CRI and between 5000 and 5500 degrees Kelvin at noon time. Both CRI and Kelvin are important for the simulation sunlight.

The full spectrum lights they sell now-a-daze are pretty close.. about 5900 degrees K. I think.... while incandescent lights are around 2800 degrees K. and fluorescent bulbs around 3000 degrees K.

Edited by Gawain

Thoreau "for every thousand hacking at the branches of evil, there is one chopping at the root"

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Can you tell us what nib size your Edson has? I am toying with an idea of getting a new Edision Black Diamond (M). I am not sure how M is Edson's M is. I mean some pens' M are more like a fatter version of M.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I echo what I have said about this pen before. YUK

Thanks

Are you going to respond to every post about an Edson with the same comment?

This thread is about an LE which esthetically is completely different to the other thread you posted your distaste in. I assume it is just some kind of pathological hatred that you are working out here.

As a prospective buyer I would be interested to know what it is that has so obviously rendered this pen as so debased in your eyes.