Cartier Bordeaux

MicheleB

I stopped by Fahrney's today to check out the digs pre-Pen Fair. I glanced through their ink sample book. I saw Cartier's Bordeaux and it looked like a nice color. I don't see much at all about Cartier inks let alone this color and did search the forum but I could be search challenged. Can anyone elighten me on the characteristics of the ink and/or the color? Thanks.

Title of topic edited by moderator to remove question /question mark, as the question has been answered in the form of an ink review below.

Edited by Ann Finley

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• girlieg33k

• Ann Finley

• MikeW

• MicheleB

Here's a photo of a swab sample/writing sample and mini- review of Cartier Bordeaux, along with other inks:

Bottle Size: 60ml

Price Paid: $19.00 (excl. tax/shipping) from Swisher Pens

Pen Used: Marbled Burgundy Aurora Mini Optima, reground to a stub italic by Richard Binder

Paper Used: Rhodia Grid Paper, 8.25 x 11.75

Compared With: Visconti Bordeaux, Montegrappa Bordeaux, Stipula Dark Red, Caran d'Ache Sunset, and Private Reserve Arabian Rose

I purchased Cartier Bordeaux in search of wine-colored ink, and it's about the closest I've been able to find so far. I've compared it to other "Bordeaux" named inks, namely: Visconti Bordeaux and Montegrappa Bordeaux (which is a misnomer and an anomaly in my particular case, since my bottle of Montegrappa Bordeaux is orange -- view this post for more info), as well as other red inks shown in the photo below. Cartier Bordeaux is a near-perfect color match (if you match ink to pens) with the Marbled Burgundy Mini Optima.

http://girlieg33k.googlepages.com/cartier-bordeaux-sample-no-flash.jpg

= photo taken with flash off =

Whereas Visconti Bordeaux is redder and brighter, Cartier Bordeaux is deeper and a bit darker, with purple and slight dark brown undertones. On paper, it reminds me of dark red grapes. Compared to Stipula Dark Red and Caran d'Ache Sunset, Cartier Bordeaux is again much darker and more purple. On the other hand, Cartier Bordeaux is not as purple as Private Reserve Arabian Rose nor as saturated once one puts pen and ink to paper. Also, I venture to guess that, with some trial and error, if Visconti Bordeaux and Private Arabian Rose were mixed, one could get close to the color of Cartier Bordeaux.

http://girlieg33k.googlepages.com/cartier-bordeaux-sample-with-flash.jpg

= photo taken with flash on =

My only gripe with Cartier inks in general is the design of the bottle. While the bottle is large (at 60ml), the top of the bottle is so small and narrow that it's a challenge -- and with large-nibbed pens or pens with a barrel diameter 0.47" or larger, impossible -- to insert the fountain pen through the bottle to fill it.

http://girlieg33k.googlepages.com/cartier-bordeaux-bottle_01.jpg

http://girlieg33k.googlepages.com/cartier-bordeaux-bottle_02.jpg

I'd recommend using an inkwell or syringe if you want to fill pens about 1/4 of the way through the bottle with smaller pens, or to fill pens at all with larger pens.

Edited by girlieg33k

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

Great post girlie,

That Cartier bottle is incredible - I would not want to try and fill my MB149 with that thing!

Have you ever seen or tried Herbin's Poussiere de Lune? It's one of my favourites; a great colour along the burgundy line - I would say subtler with a hint of gray(?) to it. I read somewhere that it is the same as Cda's Storm ink, whether that is true, I do not know. I have a bottle of Storm on order so I will have to scan them and update this post.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Great post girlie,

That Cartier bottle is incredible - I would not want to try and fill my MB149 with that thing!

Have you ever seen or tried Herbin's Poussiere de Lune? It's one of my favourites; a great colour along the burgundy line - I would say subtler with a hint of gray(?) to it. I read somewhere that it is the same as Cda's Storm ink, whether that is true, I do not know. I have a bottle of Storm on order so I will have to scan them and update this post.

Hi Mike,

I do have Herbin's Poussiere de Lune, and it's also one of my favorite inks! However, I didn't compare it to Cartier Bordeaux because I consider Poussiere de Lune -- like Herbin's Violette Pensee and Caran d'Ache Storm -- to be "too purple" in the spectrum of burgundy-colored inks. I forgot to add R&K's Alt Bordeaux in my review. Adding R&K's Alt Bordeaux to the line-up of inks that I compared Cartier Bordeaux to probably would have better illustrated how Cartier Bordeaux is essentially the color I was looking for in a wine-colored ink -- a more complex combination of red, purple, and brown hues. I hope that makes sense.

Also, aside from being in the purple category of inks, I don't think Herbin's Poussiere de Lune and Caran d'Ache Storm are very similar. Caran d'Ache Storm is darker, deeper, and has definitely more gray qualities than Poussiere de Lune.

Edited by girlieg33k

• 3 months later...

Ann Finley has requested that I update this review -- particularly its behavior on paper -- so that she can link it in the Index of Ink Reviews. I'll have to go by memory because at the moment, I do not currently have any pens inked with Cartier Bordeaux. I'll update the thread again if needed -- particularly if my recollection (below) varies greatly with the next time I use this ink.

Cartier Bordeaux flowed well in the pens that I've used it in so far: Aurora Mini Optima (stub italic), Montblanc 144 (medium nib), Omas Dama (cursive italic), Tryphon Clef (stub italic), Sailor Rose Bloom (fine point), and a cheap Hero 616 (fine nib). Even with fine points, it flows quite well. There is no real noticeable feathering -- but that depends more on the paper.* The scan doesn't show it, but it does shade well in the right pen (particularly medium stubs or cursive italics). It dries fairly quickly because it's not a particularly "wet" ink (i.e. not a gusher like say some PR inks). I haven't tested its water-resistance.

*The papers I've used with this ink are Rhodia Pads, Moleskine Cahiers, G. Lalo Verge de France stationery, and 24-32lb. copy paper at the office.

Thanks for updating and including how the ink has behaved. This is among the things that most of us want to know about any ink. :) I wonder what they were thinking when they designed the bottle with such a narrow opening.

Best, Ann

edited to correct spelling error

Edited by Ann Finley

• 3 weeks later...

The Cartier is a favorite of mine. I believe that Cartier treats the bottle as a refill bottle for one of their ink wells. It's not designed to be used to fill pens directly. Best thing is to decant it into another bottle.

Ken

i like the color.

what size bottles are the cartier's?

i thought caran d'ache inks were expensive...

but i see that cartier inks are around $19-22 :o

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - I love the color! Thanks very much for the review, although I almost wish I hadn't even seen it, because I really don't like the price :( and it's too tempting.

Looks like it might be somewhat close to Penman ruby...

Petra

Great review. I've had this ink for about a year. Bought it at Bromfield Pen. The bottle is clearly labeled as a refill bottle. I put about three quarters of the bottle into an empty Waterman's bottle. It's the ink I use in my burgundy Sheaffer Valor.

what size bottles are the cartier's?

It's a 60ml bottle. To compare -- Waterman, Sailor, and Sheaffer, and Montblanc bottles are all 50ml; Herbin is 30ml; and Noodler's is roughly 90ml.

• 1 month later...

I bought a bottle of Cartier in blue last night, havent used it yet but it looks a blue/turquoise.

Printing on the box now suggests that it is a refill bottle for ink wells.

Yep...I've purchased the appropriate inkwell to properly fill my pens from the Cartier bottle. I'd be interested in seeing a scan or review of Cartier Blue when or if you're inclined to post one. I thought I had Cartier Blue but it was Dupont Blue (difficult to keep track sometimes). If Cartier Blue has a turquoise tint, then I would pass on it. I'm not particularly found of turquoise tints.

• 1 month later...