Noodlers Gulfstream blue ?

corienb

Does anyone have Noodler's Gulfstream waterproof blue ?

My pc screen is a little off with colors sometimes , but I was hoping it's a dark blue ink.. ( I currently like my PR Midnight Blue with a little American blue mixed in dark blue, hint of slate, but also a little spike because of the vibrant Am. blue in it ..but it's not waterproof ;( )

I'll look and see if someone in the vials list has it , but any opinions are welcomed :)

Edited by corienb

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corienb

• wimg

• southpaw

• Johnny Appleseed

I wouldn't call it a dark blue. I use PR DC supershow blue too and that one is much more intense and what I'd call a pure blue in color. Oh...waitaminute...your talking darkness, not intensity/saturation.

Hmmmm, I'd call the PR a highly saturated pure blue while the noodler's gulfstream has darker color, but isn't as intense/saturated. ...there's more "black" in the noodlers. I don't know how to describe the color though. Kind of a midnight blue that isn't as saturated/pigmented as the PR inks?? Gah...without taking a picture, I'm at a loss to describe it.

I hope this helped despite my lack of skill in describing it.

Ceci

Edited by cecirdr

I am, therefore I think.

Thanks ! That sounds exactly like "my" dark blue , I think I'd like it ! ( Already got the intense American Blue ( and an unopened DC blue as well ), so looking for a duller one with a bit more "slate" in it. When I run out of one ink I"ll replace it with Gulfstream :)

I've got a bottle on the way and will try to post a mini-review when I get it. I can also send you a vial if you want (I haven't got my list posted yet).

Johnny Appleseed.

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Corienb,

I'd concur with what's been said about the color. The Gulfstream Blue is not saturated like the other Noodler's inks I've tried, though with a wet nib it can be quite dark on the page. It struck me as a blue-black, though the black component is subtler than in Waterman Blue-Black. It seems to dry faster than Noodler's Black on good paper.

The Gulfstream I received (very recently) is extremely free-flowing, very much in contrast to the permanent Black, which is the slowest-flowing ink I own. Gulfstream seems to add a half-grade to the nib width, black subtracts a half-grade. I suspect I won't like the Gulfstream except in an XF nib.

Has anyone else found the Gulfstream Blue to be so free-flowing?

--Arnav

- Arnav

I got my bottle last night, so a quick review should be forthcoming.

Johnny Appleseed

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

In my experience, this ink looks best with your kind of pens. With a broader nib, it has interesting light/dark shading and gives a nice effect. With a very fine nib, this does not show up and it becomes a very ordinary-looking (even boring) ink - like Pelikan blue, but greenish instead of purplish.

Gulf Stream is something like a blue-black in its colour variability. It has nowhere near the intensity of Noodler's regular colours - it's "interesting" instead.

It does have a widening effect on the line - not feathering exactly, but Gulfstream will write wider than your pen normally does. Noodler's black has very sharp definition - Gulf Stream has a bit of a fuzzy focus to it.

• 1 month later...

http://www.bennink.info/fpn/gulf1s.jpg

http://www.bennink.info/fpn/gulf2s.jpg

I really like this ink !

Top sample : Waterman Charleston B nib

Bottom : I thought I had filled this pen with Eternal Glacier, but it's also Gulfstream :)

It's a Sheaffer snorkel with Tardif Music nib.

My 2 favourite pens.

I think the color IRL is a bit more dull/slate than in the scan.

Click samples for larger image.

Edited by corienb

Scan for comparative purposes. Various blues - excuse my chicken scratch (did it in a hurry, but I doubt it would have mattered much).

HTH, southpaw

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi Corien, Southpaw,

Thanks for those scans! Looks like a nice blue to me. Now, if I just knew how Swisher North Sea Blue compares... :D

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Now, if I just knew how Swisher North Sea Blue compares...

No problem wim - for you, anything. Just PayPal me $ to buy a bottle from Swisher and I'll post a scan here for you as soon as it arrives :P ;) !

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi Southpaw,

No problem wim - for you, anything.  Just PayPal me $ to buy a bottle from Swisher and I'll post a scan here for you as soon as it arrives  :P  ;) !
:lol:

Thank you kindly for the offer, but.... I happen to have one right here next to my keyboard :lol:, and 1 pen filled up with it so far :D, searching for the next ink to review :lol:.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Denis Richard

Hi kws,

welcome to FPN !

Gulftream Blue and Aquamarine are exclusives of Swisher Pens. (under Accessories, Bottled Ink, I think on the second page, look for the Noodler's Waterproof section.)

Denis.

Hi kws,

welcome to FPN !

Gulftream Blue and Aquamarine are exclusives of Swisher Pens. (under Accessories, Bottled Ink, I think on the second page, look for the Noodler's Waterproof section.)

Denis.

Thanks, Denis. Although I ended up ordering a bottle of Legal Lapis since I saw Pendemonium got a new shipment, it's nice to know where to get Gulfstream Blue if I want it. And the rest of the Noodler's they have at Swisher looks pretty cool too, I probably wouldn't have seen them otherwise.

• 5 years later...

Thanks for the review! This is one of the few inks I've been incredibly tempted to try lately because of the shimmery, multi-faceted color, shading, and flow qualities, but I was hesitant because it didn't seem like there was a lot of buzz about it. Is the flow really comparable to PR Tanzanite? If so, I've got a bone-dry Parker Falcon I'm just dying to try with this.