Marlen Aderl rave review

Ghost Plane

By request. Bear with me as this is only my 2nd review.

I don't have a camera to post pictures, but it is NOT dark brown. There's a different Marlen, an LE I think, that's darker, so they may be confused. The Aderl isn't exactly blond wood either. It's a shade of light tan that's not as yellow as blond wood. Don't think pine or oak. Not as grey as ash... I'm looking around my house trying to find something the right color and I keep coming back to my expensive shoes! Think light brown. Or caramel sauce drowning vanilla ice cream so that only a swirl of vanilla shows! It only looks yellow from flash photography.

The picture on the Pengallery website is pretty accurate if they still have it up there. I got mine last Christmas when the sales were on. The price has bounced since, I guess from the weak dollar?

It's a nice fat pen kind of the size and shape of a fat cigar. The silver rings are nice and thick and heavy. The cap and end piece is between chocolate and black depending on the lighting. Right now it's dark, so it looks black. These people did NOT skimp on the silver!

The body definitely has a wood grain pattern that's not in the cap or end, which are solid colored. If you've ever had suede that was a light brown and swirled your fingers over it, that's sort of the colors swirled on the body.

It's a lovely writer. I have the B nib and it floats over the page. The extra weight seems appropriate to the width and shape. [the silver makes it feel as heavy as the brass based Carenes even tho' it's nice celluloid? resin? I don't know pen materials yet. Sorry.] The width is really comfortable to me even tho' I have small hands. I find it a good writer as the shape lets me go on for pages without cramping fingers. The nib is a nice size and length like a Visconti. If you like Visconti nibs and that delicious floaty smoothness, that's what my Aderl feels like. If my Visconti Skeleton suddenly got fatter, that's what this pen would write like. It's a really dreamy nib.

Pengallery posts the measurements and materials, so hit their site for accuracy on details and composition. I'm reporting subjective impressions as a newbie to collecting. I just write and write and write with them and the collecting seems to happen. :embarrassed_smile:

Because of the shape and the weight of the cap, it's a joy to keep posted. It's balanced without and would fit in my hand without, but I like a posted pen and the physics of this pen keep the cap posted, while the rings on the cap and body keep it from being forced down to stay.

The piston holds a pretty good amount of ink, even at the rate of a broad. You won't find yourself jumping up and down to refill. I just treated myself to a bottle of Copper Burst [Private Reserve] in honor of this pen. Interim I've used both Black Cherry and Sherwood Forest in it because that's what I had on hand.

It looks rich, feels rich and everyone's always leaning over going, "Oh cool! What kind of pen is that?"

Don't be put off by the size or shape. While this is a big pen, it sits comfortably in a woman's hands. I was concerned until the moment I picked mine up and fell instantly in love. The section and body are aerodynamic in the way they merge shapes with each other. Even if your fingers land on the threads or the decorative ring, the design is well mannered enough that it's comfortable to me. [unlike the La Vita I'm sending back for sharp edges].

I just can't rave enough about this pen. It looks like an artifact, a piece of art, something expensive and posh. It's not quite as dark as my burled walnut furniture, but there's a lot of the same rich swirl in the body. It feels good, most importantly, it WRITES well and it's turning into one of my top pens. It just feels so darn good! No skipping, no dripping, piston filling and no hand cramps even after hours of writing.

Can you tell I'm in love?! :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :thumbup:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• maryannemoll

• I am not a number

• philippi

Haha! That's just what I expected, basing from your last post on the thread about your other Marlen. :) Thanks so much for the review! Now I'm really looking forward to purchasing the pen. :)

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I´m a freelance copywriter. For me a fountain pen is a writing instrument, a living part of the creative process. Bought the Marlen Aderl about a month ago. Did have Mont Blanc and Waterman in the past, have still a Parker. The Marlen Aderl is quite a happy experience. Did find also on the internet a lot of very interesting background information about the origin of the name etc.

Charles Philippi

Excellent review, your passion for the pen comes across strongly.

...caramel sauce drowning vanilla ice cream so that only a swirl of vanilla shows! ...chocolate ...Black Cherry

For some reason I feel a very strong desire to dive head first into my freezer.

I may be some time.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

I'm glad to see that I am not the only person out there that loves Marlens. This pen really intrigues me. For some reason, I have not seem much about them in most of the catalogs or online, except in closeouts. Anyone know if they are planning to drop out of the US market? It would be a shame, since they offer some of the most unique, and best performing Italian pens around.

the Danitrio Fellowship

It feels good, most importantly, it WRITES well and it's turning into one of my top pens.

I'm happy to read of your love for the pen and want to echo your comments on the writing performance. Though I haven't tried an Aderl, I did recently buy a Marlen (dot) com at eBay (I wanted a piston filling modern with sterling trim for daily use and got my pen for $100). Though some have said that Marlen quality control means that it's a bit of a (Potty Mouth) shoot when buying one, my Marlen is one heck of a writer! She lays down a beautiful wet (though not excessively so) very smooth line (and this with a fine nib). My experience with the (dot) com has me looking at other Marlen pens as well.

Dave

P.S. It's interesting that when I posted, my reference to a game played with dice was automatically changed to "(Potty Mouth)." :-0

Edited by Dave Johannsen

We have a filter for certain words. There are youngsters who read our threads [hopefully with parental guidance] and it gives you an opportunity to broaden your working vocabulary. ;)

I've enjoyed every Marlen I've ever gotten the chance to write with. The Aderl is just a great size and nib.

I'm glad to see that I am not the only person out there that loves Marlens. This pen really intrigues me. For some reason, I have not seem much about them in most of the catalogs or online, except in closeouts. Anyone know if they are planning to drop out of the US market? It would be a shame, since they offer some of the most unique, and best performing Italian pens around.

Marlen is currently being distributed in the US by Dick Egolf and Luxury Brands. I know he's waiting for his first big shipment to come in- hopefully for the holidays. There are plenty that I plan to stock and a few I'd like to buy for myself, including the super cool Geneve HTF.

best,

Doug

• 1 year later...

Hi

Greetings from a proud owner of a Marlen Aderl Fine nib. Gotten mine this morning from Melpen. This pens really turns head.. :puddle: A great piece of art-deco plus a fine writing instrument..

Well, I have been told the same that it was a bit "scratchy" with the F-nib but apparently it isn't the case for mine slides like a piece of "silk".. The ink flow is constant and it's just so "creamy"..

I am enjoying every bit of this fine pen up to now. The Aderl is a great pen to own & of course to write with .. Its so gorgeous to work with.

A fine piece of Italian.. :thumbup:

Edited by kah hoe