Krone Architectus Silver Overlays

QM2

In my tireless quest for silver overlay pens, I quite accidentally discovered the Krone Architectus series -- on "Super Special" at Fountain Pen Hospital. The pens look gorgeous -- if you are a fan of that sort of thing, which I am -- and the price reduction is dramatic: They are $189, marked down from $575. I did not think I cared for Krone, having previously seen mainly their over-cluttered Limited Editions. But when I saw these pens, my first impulse was "I'll take 4!".

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/Index_S...D596%26MFG%3D33

I have not been able to find any reviews of these pens. The closest thing is this negative comment made on an unrelated thread:

Design of the section is critical, also. Worst ever is the Krone Architectus.

Can anybody provide further feedback about the Architectus series? They look so beautiful and seem like such a great deal, but it would be good to know if something is horribly wrong with the design.

Thanks very much,

QM2

post-5823-1178219495_thumb.jpg

post-5823-1178219506_thumb.jpg

post-5823-1178219517_thumb.jpg

Edited by QueenMargot2

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Johnson

• QM2

• Ghost Plane

• maryannemoll

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, I've never given Krones a second glance, but I'm interested in one that breaks the $200 barrier. I hope to hear impressions from folks who have used or own(ed) the pen.

happiness isn't caused

I am looking at the business ends of these pens and I wonder if there may be a problem holding them.

Curious if someone has one and could offer an opinion.

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

I am looking at the business ends of these pens and I wonder if there may be a problem holding them.

Wondering the same thing myself - those look mighty hard to use!

R.ticle One

True, they look horribly uncomfortable.

HAVING SAID THAT, I now have a fantasy of buying the Gothic (red) one, and writing emo poetry with it while listening to old Cure records. :happyberet:

happiness isn't caused

Nope, the Gothic seems to be sold out everywhere but the FPH. Makes it seem all the more covetable.

No Gothic there though. :(

And if it isn't comfortable to hold, all the more reason to write poetry with it -- will help with the suffering.

:)

QM2

And if it isn't comfortable to hold, all the more reason to write poetry with it -- will help with the suffering. :)

That is some solid and sound reasoning right there! :D

Its so hard for me to resist these insane sales, like when the M620 Grand Place was $180 at Fahrney's.

happiness isn't caused

I have a Krone Daddy-O that is one of the smoothest writers I've ever used. The pen is just a dream, but the silver fittings just don't do it for me so I'm thinking of trying to move it out.

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

HAVING SAID THAT, I now have a fantasy of buying the Gothic (red) one, and writing emo poetry with it while listening to old Cure records. :happyberet:

Dressed in black, I presume...

"The person who takes the banal and ordinary and illuminates it in a new way can terrify. We do not want our ideas changed. We feel threatened by such demands. 'I already know the important things!' we say. Then Changer comes and throws our old ideas away."

--Frank Herbert; Chapterhouse: Dune

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Dressed in black, I presume...

"Shadows fall onto me

And she stands there over me

And waits to encompass me

I lay here helplessly

But oh what can you do

When she's dressed in black

Dressed in black again..."

:roflmho:

happiness isn't caused

Those really are beautiful pens! Alas, still a bit out of my reach -- my MasterCard has seen far too much activity of late. Then again, knowing myself, I also know I would feel self-conscious using a pen that glitzy in public, so it's probably just as well. I do have one Krone, a Paradox. It's a butter-smooth writer, but substantially smaller than the Architectus. I got it on special from FPH -- apparently, they are the go-to company for closeout Krones! :thumbup:

Lisa

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

substantially smaller than the Architectus.

Lisa, Just how big are they? I couldn't find any size info on the Architectus, but you must know if you say the other pen is smaller?

Thanks!

QM2

Edited by QueenMargot2

QueenMargot,

The Paradox is 4 1/2 inches long capped, 4 inches uncapped and unposted. And the Paradox (or at least its sibling, the Metaphor) has been reviewed in Pen World as a mini pen. I don't really know the size of the Architectus, so I could be wrong, but it looks like an imposing pen from the pictures. (And the original retail price!) Hope this helps!

Lisa

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

Definitely not for my grip I'm afraid.

R

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

I don't really know the size of the Architectus, so I could be wrong, but it looks like an imposing pen from the pictures. (And the original retail price!)

That's funny, because I assumed the opposite: The original price is actually on the "cheap" side for Krone (I mean, compare $575 to $5,000), so I thought it must be a small pen, with fairly low-relief silver overlay.

Anyway, I have a bad feeling that I will end up finding out the hard way. The red one has been giving me the eye all day and my defenses are crumbling. But wait, so has the dark plum one :(

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/102/311560027_fe04b5377a_o.jpg

Stole this from someone's flickr photo book. I recognize their avatar, definitely an FPN member. Hopefully they'll speak up on the pen soon. :)

Grawr, that section looks painful. :roller1:

happiness isn't caused

I think, for the concept of Goth, the pen looks okay. It's definitely a lot better than the Freud pen. (And at 189 dollars, of course it makes me reconsider my opinion on Krone pens. :roller1:) What I feel bothered about with the Architecture line is really the section. It does not seem comfortable. But since the grip looks actually a little longer, maybe it won't be too much of a bother?

We need a review of this pen before the sale ends!

What I feel bothered about with the Architecture line is really the section. It does not seem comfortable. But since the grip looks actually a little longer, maybe it won't be too much of a bother?

I actually hold my pens very low, almost at the nib -- so I am hoping this will not be an issue for me. Or is that just wishful thinking?

Either way ... I shall post my review when the pen arrives. :)

Worse comes to worse, both Krone and FPH are willing to take it back if I don't like it. But that's it, really -- no more pens for a _while_!

QM2

Edited by QueenMargot2