Anyone have Tombow FP?

HDoug

It doesn't look like Tombow markets their fountain pens in the U.S. I didn't even know they made fountain pens, but look at this super light model made from carbon and aluminum. Seems so cool.

http://homepage.mac.com/hdougmatsuoka/images/pen/zoom101.jpg

I found (stole) the picture at Cyperpens in the UK. Any of our UK (or Japan) members have any hands on with this pen, or Tombow's in general?

Here's the link to the Cyberpens.co.uk page.

Doug

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HDoug

• jonro

• chibimie

• jkrewalk

I contacted Tombow USA regarding the Object fountain pens, which are available in Europe. I was told that Tombow fps were taken out of the North American market in 2002, owing to lack of sales, she hinted. I proceeded to contact Tombow Europe to see if I could import some of their fountain pens. I was told sorry, we cannot export directly to Canada. At times the pen industry works in mysterious ways.

This *is* cool. I've just sent an email to the dealer from whom I've gotten a number of tombow pens over the years and let's see what they say - presumably the same answer you've gotten that they're not available in the US, then on to the next lead.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

I've been using a Tombow Zoom roller for about five years- it replaced my MB roller as a correcting tool until I received my Binderized stub- Tombow roller was excellent in weight, balance, and general construction.

It looks like a really interesting FP, but also appears to be very thin. Does anyone know the dimensions of Object fountain pens?

I've just emailed cyberpens to ask if they will ship to U.S. Their price of 64 pounds (w/out Value Added Tax) works out to $128 for an MSRP of $175 (21,000 yen from Japan's Tombow site). That puts it in the Namiki VP range pricewise. I think it uses a German-made steel nib (like the other Tombow FP, I forget the model). I also asked cyberpens if the width of the nibs follow Euro or Japan (finer) convention. I use a Namiki-esque fine...

Will report in when I get the info.

Doug

It doesn't look like Tombow markets their fountain pens in the U.S. I didn't even know they made fountain pens, but look at this super light model made from carbon and aluminum. Seems so cool.

I found (stole) the picture at Cyperpens in the UK. Any of our UK (or Japan) members have any hands on with this pen, or Tombow's in general?

Here's the link to the Cyberpens.co.uk page.

Doug

Wow, that does look sharp!

It looks like a really interesting FP, but also appears to be very thin. Does anyone know the dimensions of Object fountain pens?

The Tombow Object is 5.5" capped and 6.25" posted. At its widest point, the circumference is 1.75". I have the brushed aluminum body version. The skin of the pen is smooth and resilient--very scratch resistant. The cap posts in such a way that metal does not rub against metal. The cap snaps shut very tightly (it takes a conscious effort to get it off too!). Overall, it has decent heft--enough to feel solid but not so much to make the hand tired. The polished stainless steel nib has a classy look to it with a small crisp "Tombow" imprint on it. The medium nib writes smoothly but very wet. I like the pen, despite its slightly odd looking body. I may end up selling mine and try for a blue finish with extra fine nib.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Andy's Pens in the UK has the Tombow Object fountain pen for £28.95 plus £6.00 for overseas shipping (insured and recorded). The convertor is an additional £3.95. He appears to have all of the colours available, including the two new colours, Petrol Blue and Golden Orange.

No affiliation with the seller, but I've bought from Andy's Pens a couple of time and service was good and shipping (inland UK) was very fast.

Casmi

"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Cunning plans are here again'"

Twitter: @CasmiUK

From Richie at Cyberpens:

Thanks for your enquiry. Yes I do ship to Hawaii! You are very lucky to live there, the home of ACME pens I believe?

Regards the nibs, my experience of Tombow is that they are wet writers and tend to run marginally finer than European equivalents. I'll have a medium nibbed pen arriving for stock later this week, the fine nibs are still on back order, I'll give it a dip to confirm my thoughts.

The price shipped to the states is the VAT exclusive price on the website which includes free shipping.

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Warmest regards

Richie

http://www.cyberpens.co.uk

e-mail: sales@cyberpens.co.uk

So we have two UK shops that will ship to US, cyberpens and Andy. Just wanted to report in.

Doug

I own one of these in a fine point (I was told that was all they came in), and it does lay a nice wet line. I tend to prefer a pen with a bit more girth, so I don't use it much, but it is very light, and the feel of the carbon body is quite different from any other pen that I own. It kind of feels "warm", though I'm probably imagining it. The minimalist nib, I should add, is one of the nicest I have seen in non-gold nibs; it has the look of a rhodium plated gold nib.

I like narrow fines, like the Namiki fine. I know this is subjective, but would you say that this is such a "Japanese" fine? My Euro fines are very broad in comparison...

Doug

I like narrow fines, like the Namiki fine. I know this is subjective, but would you say that this is such a "Japanese" fine? My Euro fines are very broad in comparison...

Doug

Perhaps because the line is a wet one, this point does not seem as fine as those on a Sailor or even a Pilot. Someone else mentions above that the nib was made in Germany; if that is true, it might explain the broader F point.

• 1 year later...
I contacted Tombow USA regarding the Object fountain pens, which are available in Europe. I was told that Tombow fps were taken out of the North American market in 2002, owing to lack of sales, she hinted. I proceeded to contact Tombow Europe to see if I could import some of their fountain pens. I was told sorry, we cannot export directly to Canada. At times the pen industry works in mysterious ways.

Interesting - If they don't sell in the USA - why do they need a US representative ("Tombow USA")? Since they haven't sold one here since 2002, what does she do all day????? Must be a real easy job!!!!

Interesting - If they don't sell in the USA - why do they need a US representative ("Tombow USA")? Since they haven't sold one here since 2002, what does she do all day????? Must be a real easy job!!!!

A thread from the crypt!

She takes orders for office stationery. Tombow make a lot of things besides fountain pens.

The ones thay do make are pretty cool, though.

They do sell rollerballs and other office supplies in the U.S. It's just their fountain pens that were discontinued here.

Because I loved the shape, I dipped a Tombow Object fountain pen at a brick and mortar store.

The nib was really scratchy, I think it was a medium.

Pictures of the Object fountain pen in Tombow's European web site

http://www.tomboweurope.com/schreibgeraete...collection.html

Picture of the Object rollerball in Tombow's US webwsite

http://www.tombowusa.com/OfficeDetail.aspx?sku=10017

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I own three Tombow Object pens and I think they're great. In addition to the two mentioned in my sig, I have a green one with which I completed my accountancy exams a few years ago. All three are M nibs. None is scratchy, though one is drier than the others it has to be said. The green Object is out of commission because I dropped it on the nib - it needs a repair and I'd love to have it widened to a B.

I'd happily own more Object pens (and may well do). They feel just right to me.