Stipula Etruria Nuda

Escribiente

I have been intrigued by demonstrator pens ever since I saw the Pelikan M800 in green. Then, I saw a real demonstrator, the Aurora 88, and I tried to get one but I either didn't have the funds ready, or the Aurora 88s were nowhere to be found. So, a few weeks ago, when I saw the Stipula Etruria Nuda in the LA Show, I decided to get one.

One of my main concerns was the possibility of staining it. Then, I saw a picture of an old, stained Aurora 88, and I realized that the stain is part of the charm of a demonstrator--in the way old leather looks great, even though is not pristine anymore.

Before I proceed with the review, I should say that more than a collector I am a user, and to my mind, if the nib doesn't write the way I want, then I have no use for a pen. On the other hand, I write anywhere from three to six pages longhand everyday--I write all my drafts by hand--so the nib is the deal breaker for me. In the scale I use (very arbitrary and personal) the perfect pen would get a 20/20.

NIB 7/7

I have two Stipula Etrurias, one with an Extra Fine nib, and the other with an Italic 0.9 mm, and I figure that the Nuda would be great with a Italic 0.9 mm too. The 14k nib that comes with the Nuda is different from the 18k. They are the same size, but the 14k feels a bit firmer, and smoother. I got the Italic 0.9mm 18k a while back, and at the beginning it skipped with some ink-paper combinations, but after a year of use, it became a reliably nib. The nib in the Nuda, on the other hand, performed perfectly right out of the box, with a wet, consistent line. It never skips, or hesitates.

http://escribidor.home.att.net/Pens/Nuda-nib.jpg

BARREL-CAP 6/7

The Nuda is a truly unique pen. The transparent acrylic combines very well with the Sterling Silver trim. The pen has good balance unposted, and it feels warm in the hand while you write. I'm accepting the possibility of the staining, but to prevent premature staining in the section, I pulled out the nib to add a bit of silicone. The black spots you see is the nib's collar are the little dabs of silicone. I'm giving the Nuda 6, just because of the fact that it could stain.

http://escribidor.home.att.net/Pens/Nuda-capped.jpg

FILLING SYSTEM 3/3

I'm partial to internal piston fillers. I know that many feel that cartridges and converters are more practical. But all things being equal, the laws of physics predict that converters will have more flow issues (remember last time flow problems were solved magically with a cartridge?). The piston filling mechanism in the Nuda is not only fun to watch, but it also has a big capacity, which comes handy for a juicy nib.

http://escribidor.home.att.net/Pens/Nuda-4.jpg

PRICE 2/3

This is not a cheap pen by any means. I got my first Stipula Etruria Amber for about $220. The second for about $300. I got this one at Penseller.com--wonderful service--for the very competitive price of $295.

http://escribidor.home.att.net/Pens/Nuda-2.jpg

Total: 18/20

Edited by Escribiente

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Escribiente

• Junkuar

• FrankB

• Taki

Nice review. I've been eyeing this pen for a while myself.

I also like your rating system. I, too, put the most weight on the nib's performance. I also have a category for balance/weight/feel in the hand, which is second only to the nib as a predictor of whether I will enjoy using the pen long-term.

Since this pen scored 18/20 on your scale, I wonder if any of your other pens have scored higher of if this is your top-scoring pen at the moment?

Mike

Thanks so much for reviewing this pen. I love to see a beautiful demonstrator like this, and I prefer silver-colored trim too. I'm sure you'll get many years of writing pleasure with it. A demonstrator would motivate me to play with many different colors of ink :cloud9: Enjoy!

Since this pen scored 18/20 on your scale, I wonder if any of your other pens have scored higher of if this is your top-scoring pen at the moment? Mike
I haven't reviewed all the pens I have, but I would say that the two that come close to 20/20 are the Danitrio Ban-ei and the Tibaldi Iride, both have excellent nibs, huge ink capacity and they have good balance to write unposted. I written page after page with both of them without getting tired.

What a beautiful pen! Thank you very much for the very nice review. What is the ink in the photo?
The ink is a dark green. I hope the writing sample bellow shows the ink and the nice line variation you can get with the 0.9 mm 14k nib.

http://escribidor.home.att.net/Pens/Nuda-sample.jpg

Thanks for the review.

I love my Nuda. When I started buying demonstrators I was a little worried about staining, but got over it as like you I am a user.

I have found that when the Etruria Nuda develops a little staining and you get a bit of tarnish going on on the sterling furniture, it gets this wonderful lived-in look but without detract from its striking and quite beuatiful design.

A favourite pen, I too have the 0.9 nib - which is just great. A pleasure to write with.

Mark Goody

I have a blog.

That is a very nice pen and I like the nib. I love Etrurias.

Enjoy! ;)

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Since this pen scored 18/20 on your scale, I wonder if any of your other pens have scored higher of if this is your top-scoring pen at the moment? Mike
I haven't reviewed all the pens I have, but I would say that the two that come close to 20/20 are the Danitrio Ban-ei and the Tibaldi Iride, both have excellent nibs, huge ink capacity and they have good balance to write unposted. I written page after page with both of them without getting tired.

What a beautiful pen! Thank you very much for the very nice review. What is the ink in the photo?
The ink is a dark green. I hope the writing sample bellow shows the ink and the nice line variation you can get with the 0.9 mm 14k nib.

http://escribidor.home.att.net/Pens/Nuda-sample.jpg

Congratulations on your even, flowing italic - a pleasure to look at, and easy to read.

Caliken

Thanks Escribiente. I have been thinking about buying this pen; you have confirmed the decision for me. Great job and pics!

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Thanks Escribiente. I have been thinking about buying this pen; you have confirmed the decision for me. Great job and pics!

I'm glad, Mike. You won't be disappointed with the Stipula Etruria Nuda. I also find the reviews very useful to make up my mind about a pen I haven't seen in person.

• 7 months later...

Can anyone comment on how this pen feels posted? Thanks.

Stephen

Current Favorite Inks

Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut

Can anyone comment on how this pen feels posted? Thanks.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I have just tied it and find mine very, very heavy and unbalanced when it's posted. The cap stays on safely, though. The pen weighs 35 grams altogether and the cap alone nearly 15 grams.

To me the pen always feels a bit 'top-heavy' anyway (compared to other pens of the same weight, e.g. the Sheaffer Legacy), and posting the cap makes it a lot worse.

I have to admit, however, that I generally do not post my caps (apart from the ones of really small and leightweight pens such as the Sheaffer Cartridge/School Pen or Tip-Dip Cadet).

I hope this helps,

Nellie

Sipula's O/S Etruria model is one of my favorite pens and I have several. I find the pen so comfortable in my hand that it feels ergonomic. It is weighted just right and perfectly balanced - until I post the cap. Then it is uncomfortable and a bit clumbsy. Obviously, I never post mine.

Edited: It has been eight months since this review was posted. I am curious if there has been any staining on the barrel interior.

Edited by FrankB

Great review of a great pen. I still don't own an Etruria, although I own two Novecentos. It is now at the top of my "to buy" list. Thank you!

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

On the strength of these reviews, first Handlebar-Moustache-Man (sorry), and now this one, along with all the positive comments about the Etruria, I went ahead and ordered one for my very own. Unlike most my quasi-impulsive decisions, stopped myself long enough to read reviews of similar pens, and look at plenty o photos.

I'm most eager, now, to receive mine, confident that I've bought a very nice pen -- hopefully it will feel as nice in my hand as others find it. I'm persuaded by the above review to try the italic nib.

Thanks to you Stipula-philes for your descriptive comments -- so vivid, it made it easy to imagine it for myself, and that was persuasive.

-Brent

• 1 month later...

Nice shot. Thank you.

My Writing Instruments (selection):

Graf von Faber-Castell, Classic, 18k nib in ebony wood dress

Pelikan, M800, 18k nib in black resin/plastic dress

Stipula, Etruria Nera, 18k nib in black celluloid dress

Parker, Jotter, black gel ink refill in stainless steel dress

<a href="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49361&st=0">Classification of Paper, Inks, and Writing Instruments</a>

• 1 month later...

At long last, my Etruria has arrived!

Apologies for double posting, but I made some comments about this last night on Handlebar's review thread.

I'm afraid I'm at a disadvantage due to inexperience, but I find the pen does not write well out of the box. It's not far wrong, I think -- I hope. It's just that I have to tap the nib down on the paper with some authority, or press it down to get it to write. And it writes beautifully. Pick up the point to begin the next word and.... no flow. Gotta "elicit" inkflow in the same manner again.

If any of you use a palm pilot, it's like that -- the way you have to initiate the letter with a distinctive tap, so the device recognizes, "oh, here is where the letter begins."

To fill in a few details, I put noodler ink in it -- I take it that this is a bit of a gooey ink, so that might be the problem. I washed the nib with warm soapy water and tried it all again -- no difference.

Suggestions eagerly welcome.

Apart from that, I have to say the pen is stunningly. A beautifully designed and crafted thing it is. Not showy.

I agree with others about the good size, weight, and feel of the pen in my hand. I suspect I will truly enjoy writing with this pen, if it ever learns to write, that is.

Thank you inadvance for suggestions.

Sounds like it needs a good clean and flushing. Pressing like you describe is probably not going to be good for it long term. My also need to have the nib flossed slightly or the tines aligned a titch.

Flushing includes more than the nib, it should be drawn into the pen and flushed out several times

Edited by Rapt

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

Saving for: Edison Pearl

In my dreams: Nakaya Piccolo, custom colour/pattern

In transit: