Ink Book - Browns

girlieg33k

Ink Book: Large Ruled Moleskine Cahier Notebook

Fountain Pen: Omas Dama (with a medium cursive italic nib reground by Richard Binder)

Color Category: Browns

Waterman Havana Brown - Sheafffer Brown - Pelikan Brown - Stipula Sepia - Sailor RedBrown

http://girlieg33k.googlepages.com/browns_mod.jpg

Noodler's Seminole Sepia - Noodler's Kiowa Pecan

http://girlieg33k.googlepages.com/browns2_mod.jpg

Edited by girlieg33k

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Melnicki

• Inkanthropist

• Ged

• stubley5

I agree with Viseguy, Havana and Kiowa Pecan are best looking. But, I tend to lean towards darker inks anyway.

Nice test girlieg33k ! Thanks.

Thanks for all of the excellent scans that you've posted. The Stipula Sepia and the Noodler's Kiowa Pecan look extremely nice.

Neil

[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

Has anybody tried Noodler's Eternal Brown and Grizzly?

The first is through Pendemonium and the latter is, I believe, SwishMix. I wonder how those compare to these scans in terms of lightness and warmth.

Has anybody tried Noodler's Eternal Brown and Grizzly?

The first is through Pendemonium and the latter is, I believe, SwishMix. I wonder how those compare to these scans in terms of lightness and warmth.

Going by memory and limited use, the Eternal Brown is closest to the Stipula Sepia in the examples above. Does that jive with everyone else's experience? I see from a different thread that you are looking for a darker brown, and I don't think the EB is as dark as the Kiowa Pecan. I do think, though, that EB is a very neutral brown, without too much red or black in the mix.

Have you seen the samples of El Lawrence in the review by moostache? Looks like a good dark brown there.

Edited by jja

it's hard to tell from these scans, but Eternal Brown looks a bit between the Seminole Sepia and the Stipula Sepia. It's a nice light tan color, not dark at all (though maybe there's a pen that will do it, just none I've seen). What I love about Eternal Brown is that it is tintable quite nicely; you can get a wide range of browns that way, and they'll have a bulletproof component!

I have not seen El Lawrence in person, but I don't think it's brown. I think it's a mossy green-grey.

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

Thanks for posting all the images from your ink notebook, girlieg33k. I'm looking into browns and purples, so those have been particularly helpful to me :rolleyes:. Stipula Sepia and Kiowa Pecan certainly go back on my list (and so does Verdigris -- various inks go on and off as I reread reviews here or my tastes evolve!). As I have some of the same inks you do, I can get a decent sense of how the ones I don't have look in real life.

I am inspired to imitate the format of your book! My own book of ink samples has been added to piecemeal as I've acquired inks and filled different pens, so it's much less systematic (i.e., it's a mess, although helpful).

Tan is exactly how I would describe my bottle of Eternal Brown. Ugly (to me) tan -- it didn't look like most of the scans I've seen here, but I did find one after the fact that looks like what came out of my bottle. Must. be. more. alert. I will try mixing it, as Matt suggests. And dark gray-green was my impression of El Lawrence also, from posts here on FPN.

Edited by lefty928
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I was wondering the other day how Havana Brown would look with a yellow undertone and Noodler's Kiowa Pecan fits the bill perfectly. :)

Thanks for posting these comparisons, all of them. Makes ink selection so much easier.

~ Manisha

"A traveller am I and a navigator, and everyday I discover a new region of my soul." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Thanks for the great samples! I sold my bottle of Kiowa pecan because it slightly stained my Pel M400 Honey, but I might need to get it again to use with other pens :)

Edited by Taki

For what it's worth, Kiowa Pecan is my least-used ink. But I have no excuse as to why, as it is indeed a very nice color.

Does anyone know why Havana Brown is named as such? Nice nice color. Anyone know how it compares to Noodler's Beaver? It seems like it's a browner version of Beaver.

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

Does anyone know why Havana Brown is named as such? Nice nice color. Anyone know how it compares to Noodler's Beaver? It seems like it's a browner version of Beaver.

I've always assumed it was to suggest a tobacco shade of brown. It is pretty much my favorite ink of any color. If I could find a waterproof or water-resistant ink close to Havana Brown, I would be happy indeed! :rolleyes:

Greg

Lamy Safari 1.1mm stub

Pilot VP w/Binder .6mm stub

Pelikan M200 F

Pelikan M215 Italic

Waterman Phileas