Mix: New Old Bishop Street Blue Black

HDoug

I'm trying to get a deep blue-black with a vintage look. My first attempt came out okay. I called that Old Bishop Street Blue-Black after our (Honolulu) business district. The prob with that mix is that it lacked a green tinge that I find on the older inks I was emulating. I added some Legal Lapis to the mix and that helped it out quite a bit. I may mess around with the mix, but for right now, it suits me quite well. And it's ph balanced and "bulletproof" to boot!

19 parts Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue; 1 part Noodler's Black; 6 parts Legal Lapis.

This is a difficult ink to scan because it's kind of a subtle mix. I did this a while ago and forgot to do the Q-tip swab but I figure if I don't post this now I'll never get around to it. Hope y'all don't mind.

http://homepage.mac.com/hdougmatsuoka/images/pen/NOBSBB.jpg

It shades like the old stuff too -- depending on pen and paper...

http://homepage.mac.com/hdougmatsuoka/images/pen/NOBSBB2.jpg

Maybe a little more green? I'm allergic to too much green, though. I suppose I will leave it alone. For now.

Doug

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HDoug

• BillTheEditor

• Woody

• lefty928

Nice color, Doug. Thanks -- I will have to look up your earlier mix.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I like this color a lot. I'm writing down your "recipe." I like that it is waterproof, too.

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

QUOTE (lefty928 @ Apr 11 2007, 05:57 AM)
Nice color, Doug. Thanks -- I will have to look up your earlier mix.

Here's a comparison of Old vs. New. Old was a little lighter, more "blue." New is a bit darker.

First, Old Bishop Street Blue-Black:

http://homepage.mac.com/hdougmatsuoka/images/pen/obsbb2.jpg

And now, New Old Bishop Street Blue-Black:

http://homepage.mac.com/hdougmatsuoka/images/pen/NOBSBB2.jpg

Pretty similar. Actually, it's a way of using my bottle of Upper Ganges Blue which is a bit too pale for me, my other bottle of Legal Lapis, which is a little too green for me, and my bottle of Black, which is a little too colorless for me. Three birds with one stone tongue.gif

I must stop being timid about the ink mixing. I'm in a blue-black exploratory phase right now, and I really like your New Old Bishop Street Blue Black. It's dark, but not so dark it looks black. (Of course, I'm also in an aubergine exploratory period and going into a mid-brown exploratory period, after having finished for now the off-green exploratory period. But then, since I started with regular blues, that means I have lots of inks to play with, including the "what was I thinking?" ones.)

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

QUOTE (HDoug @ Apr 11 2007, 02:13 PM)
Pretty similar.  Actually, it's a way of using my bottle of Upper Ganges Blue which is a bit too pale for me, my other bottle of Legal Lapis, which is a little too green for me, and my bottle of Black, which is a little too colorless for me.  Three birds with one stone  tongue.gif

Excellent! biggrin.gif Both mixes are nice. From where I sit, Old Old is a sapphire blue, and New Old is more of a midnight blue. Definitely not same old, same old. wink.gif

Speaking of old and new, are you using the old or new version of Upper Ganges Blue in your mixes? As I recall, the new (current) formula of UGB is much darker than the original.

Viseguy

QUOTE (Viseguy @ Apr 12 2007, 06:30 PM)
Speaking of old and new, are you using the old or new version of Upper Ganges Blue in your mixes?  As I recall, the new (current) formula of UGB is much darker than the original.

The original version of Upper Ganges Blue was more a teal than a blue, and the new version is a "true" blue. I'm using the new version, which, as this scan shows, is very similar to Luxury Blue (LB).

Notes on scan: (1) Sorry for the first "upper" under Upper Ganges Blue (UGB), I was using the wrong pen! (2) In the scan UGB and LB look very similar, but in person, Luxury Blue has a certain "brightness" that differentiates it. (3) Noodler's inks, like fine wines, seem to vary from bottle to bottle. tongue.gif

http://homepage.mac.com/hdougmatsuoka/images/pen/GangesLux.jpg

This is the first time I've seen this post. I have to ask.....what's next? Will there be an Old Hotel St. color mix? If so, what color will that be? I'm guessing a lot of red. lticaptd.gif

QUOTE (Woody @ Apr 12 2007, 07:37 PM)
This is the first time I've seen this post. I have to ask.....what's next? Will there be an Old Hotel St. color mix? If so, what color will that be? I'm guessing a lot of red. lticaptd.gif

A dark midnight red of indeterminate gender... ohmy.gif

Doug

P.S. To let the others in on the joke, Hotel Street, which actually intersects Bishop Street, is also part of the business district. It's just that the business was of a different sort.

Doug

• 3 months later...
P.S. To let the others in on the joke, Hotel Street, which actually intersects Bishop Street, is also part of the business district. It's just that the business was of a different sort.

Doug

Homeported in Pearl Harbor, I heard many stories about Hotel Street. I, of course, have no personal knowledge of what went on there. :rolleyes:

Several of the officers rented an apartment on Haole Street (yes, that was the name), which I believe is now underneath the Convention Center (it was one block Diamond Head of the intersection of Kalakaua and Kapiolani, along the infamous Makiki drainage ditch). I hung out there a bit. Strictly because Hot Dog Annie's was right around the corner. Had nothing to do with being next door to Forbidden City.

So did they bulldoze Hotel Street, or are the entrepreneurs still out in force down there?

Homeported in Pearl Harbor, I heard many stories about Hotel Street. I, of course, have no personal knowledge of what went on there. :rolleyes:

Several of the officers rented an apartment on Haole Street (yes, that was the name), which I believe is now underneath the Convention Center (it was one block Diamond Head of the intersection of Kalakaua and Kapiolani, along the infamous Makiki drainage ditch). I hung out there a bit. Strictly because Hot Dog Annie's was right around the corner. Had nothing to do with being next door to Forbidden City.

So did they bulldoze Hotel Street, or are the entrepreneurs still out in force down there?

The City designated Hotel Street as an "art and culture" district which meant increasing the output of the streetlights, driving the entrepreneurs away, and bringing in expensive restaurants, art galleries, bars, and the like. Homeless still sleep on the sidewalks, though...

Hey, you lived in a great neighborhood. Walking distance of beach and bars. There is still a rather entertaining bar at the corner of Kalakaua and Kapiolani -- Club Rock-Za. Not that I have any personal knowledge of what goes on there. :rolleyes:

Doug

The City designated Hotel Street as an "art and culture" district which meant increasing the output of the streetlights, driving the entrepreneurs away, and bringing in expensive restaurants, art galleries, bars, and the like. Homeless still sleep on the sidewalks, though...

Hey, you lived in a great neighborhood. Walking distance of beach and bars. There is still a rather entertaining bar at the corner of Kalakaua and Kapiolani -- Club Rock-Za. Not that I have any personal knowledge of what goes on there. :rolleyes:

Hotel Street in the 60's was already an "art and culture" district, but not in the way the City Council or the Tourist Bureau cared for. :ltcapd:

With the better lighting, the entrepreneurs would have had to relocate anyway. The boys"girls" would have had to be much more careful with their makeup. The working (real) girls ... well, dim lighting and beer goggles were their best friends. Or so I'm told. I spent my free time on the beach, or at bars around the U of H. Prettier and intelligent girls, cheaper drinks, no junkies, all around safer in every way.

It was a great neighborhood. We were all in our early 20's, still had flat stomachs and all our hair. I'm guessing that Club Rock-Za is probably on the corner where CoCo's (hamburger restaurant, lot like Bob's Big Boy) was. We didn't know how good we had it.

Edited by BillTheEditor

It was a great neighborhood. We were all in our early 20's, still had flat stomachs and all our hair. I'm guessing that Club Rock-Za is probably on the corner where CoCo's (hamburger restaurant, lot like Bob's Big Boy) was. We didn't know how good we had it.

CoCo's? There's a Hard Rock Cafe there now. Not kidding! I miss CoCo's -- when 24 hour joints were rare here.

As far as ink mixes, I'll start work on Waikiki of My Youth Blue. It will have to be very bright, and never fade...

Doug

• 1 year later...

This looks like a very nice blue-black. Do you have a comparison with other blue-blacks, or perhaps a Q-tip swab? I wonder also how this compares to FPN's Starry Night Blue, which it appears to resemble.