In praise of the Vanishing Point

Srehman

I had never heard of the VP before I ventured on to FPN. On arrival here, I had enjoyed using FPs, and had a modest collection of 3, recently expanded to 4 with the purchase of a Sonnet at a Paradise Pen where I went to get ink for my old FPs.

The rest, as they say, is water under the bridge. I read about various pens, shopped around, and finally plonked down money for a few: the Phileas, Hemisphere, M200, Parker 45. I even bought a Parker "51". I spoke at length about my initial teething problems, with many of the pens having to visit their service centers.

All the pens work great now-- they write beautifully, all of them. I love the nice wet line the "51" lays down, and the smoothness of the M200, or the elegance of the Harmonie or M605. But one thing rankled: my on-the-go style at work was less than suited for many, if not most of the pens. Constant uncapping & capping, ink drying out as I assembled info for a note, having to put some papers down in my off hand to cap or uncap the pen... it was less than ideal and was slowing me down.

Emboldened by the denizens of FPN, I drove over to Pam Braun's and spent a Saturday morning browsing her store. I picked through her stock of VPs, and determined that the clip was perfect for my grip. I went through all the colors, settling on the Blue Carbonesque, and loved the line that the medium put down. And then I took the plunge.

That was a week ago. It has been nothing but smooth sailing since then. I absolutely *adore* the VP. It is at the same time elegant, functional and a supremely good writer. From the ultra-smooth nib, with its wet-but-not-too-wet line to the quick-use one-handed operation, it has displaced all other pens and is my mainstay.

Thank you, FPN, for helping me find pen nirvana!

"The person who takes the banal and ordinary and illuminates it in a new way can terrify. We do not want our ideas changed. We feel threatened by such demands. 'I already know the important things!' we say. Then Changer comes and throws our old ideas away."

--Frank Herbert; Chapterhouse: Dune

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Taki

• Srehman

• Djehuty

• HDoug

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of the "Blue Carbonesque" finish, which is also what I have, what exactly is carbonesque about Carbonesque? Last time I saw any, carbon was either black or, after the application of heat and pressure over longish stretches of time, colorless.

Speaking of the "Blue Carbonesque" finish, which is also what I have, what exactly is carbonesque about Carbonesque? Last time I saw any, carbon was either black or, after the application of heat and pressure over longish stretches of time, colorless.

I am not sure - but have a theory: I think the name "carbonesque" refers to a "carbon fiber" finish - but it is not really a carbon fiber finish - it is a finish that is made to look like carbon fiber. Hence, the name "carbonesque".

If you haven't actually seen a carbon fiber finish then it is hard to describe - but it is quite beautiful. Many customized sports cars have "carbon fiber" hoods or, lights or tail lights - they have kind of a "checkered" finish beneath the deep gloss of the carbon fiber. The "carbonesque" finish mimics the real thing and that is where the name comes from.

Just my theory - comments welcome.

Yep, I agree with John. Carbon fibre consists of fibres woven together in a checkered pattern, which you can see under the glossy finish.

The carbonesque finish on these pens are trying to imitate that, while being a bit less subtle. Duke has a range of carbon fibre pens that might look closer to what real carbon fibre materials look like.

I had never heard of the VP until I started reading this forum, either. After soliciting opinions and reading many, many posts about the VP, I, too have just purchased one. Also from Pam. Mine is the black/gold with a broad nib.

Got it, loaded it up with Levenger Fireball and I'm in heaven!

Thanks to all.

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

QUOTE (Srehman @ Mar 31 2007, 07:07 PM)
I had never heard of the VP before I ventured on to FPN. 

Same here. Now I have both a blue and black carbonesque, one of which has a 0.6mm stub italic (Richard Binder). They are both great pens and writers, and I really appreciate the lack of a cap for those times when I am doing a lot of intermittent writing.

One a side note: I like the size of the Namiki cartridges and I have started refilling them via a write fill syringe kit. I have not tried the converter yet, but from what I have read on FPN, the VP writes better with a cartridge.

Steve

QUOTE (stephen82 @ Apr 1 2007, 02:28 AM)
One a side note: I like the size of the Namiki cartridges and I have started refilling them via a write fill syringe kit. I have not tried the converter yet, but from what I have read on FPN, the VP writes better with a cartridge.

Steve

I've also started filling my Namiki cartridge with ink from syringe and love the flow. This is definitely one of those ultra-reliable pens. Enjoy yours!

hi,

i really enjoyed chatting with you last night. we should do it again!!

blink.gif biggrin.gif happycloud9.gif lticaptd.gif

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

I was first introduced to VP's by my doc and one of his PA's - they both used them. The PA had several and one that held particular sentimental value for him had been dropped on the nib end. He knew I restored fp's so he asked me to see what I could do. I shipped it to the service center and they fixed him up in fine style. I decided I needed a VP, so when my daughter graduated from graduate school, I picked up a LE Mandarin from The Pen Place in Kansas City - I figured her finishing school was a good reason for me to have a new pen; am I right?

This pen stays inked a good bit of the time. Very handy.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

The VP is a fabulous pen -- glad to see you've adopted one! smile.gif

And after a while, though you'll still enjoy your Carbonesque, you won't be able to stop yourself from considering other variations... like earlier VP's, the gorgeous Raden, or some of the newer models (Decimo, Fermo). Enjoy the ride. biggrin.gif

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Eh, whatever the finish is trying to be, it looks nice. smile.gif I've got my eye on the slate grey as well. What, precisely, is the Decimo? I found pictures online, and it looks exactly like the VP. The Fermo, from what I can tell, is a VP that twists instead of clicking. But all I could see different about the Decimo was the color range and the price.

QUOTE (Srehman @ Mar 31 2007, 06:07 PM)
Thank you, FPN, for helping me find pen nirvana!

Wow, my thoughts exactly. Here is my Nirvana thread.

Pen Nirvana

Watch it though, they are addicting. I very recently added the older faceted Burgundy, PLUS the Black Stealth.

For me it is the perfect pen.

Bob

Edited by bobioden

Congrats on your new VP! I use VP at work a lot, too smile.gif

Carbonesque is called "Kasuri" in Japan. It's a type of traditional fabric with patterns created by threads partially left un-dyed(?) or in different colors. It does kind of look like it. To me the blue one looks most like kasuri kimono.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasuri

Edited by Taki

QUOTE (Srehman @ Mar 31 2007, 04:07 PM)
I drove over to Pam Braun's and spent a Saturday morning browsing her store.

Screw the comments on the VP, those were a given...

YOU CAN DRIVEto Oscar Braun's??? It is a REAL STORE????

Do the same prices hold?

Bill...who just may strap on the FX-35 for a road trip...

QUOTE (Shannon @ Mar 31 2007, 09:10 PM)
...loaded it up with Levenger Fireball and I'm in heaven!

Hilarious.

I just did the same thing with mine on Thursday.

It'd been a long time since I'd loaded up with a good, "punch you in the face" red. This one's definintely the one, especially when mixed with a couple of drops of Levenger Cardinal Red.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

QUOTE (Taki @ Apr 1 2007, 07:20 AM)
Congrats on your new VP! I use VP at work a lot, too smile.gif

Carbonesque is called "Kasuri" in Japan. It's a type of traditional fabric with patterns created by threads partially left un-dyed(?) or in different colors. It does kind of look like it. To me the blue one looks most like kasuri kimono.

Now that makes sense. I looked up the "carbon fiber" finish, and it doesn't look much like what I see on my VP. But the kasuri does. If that's indeed what this is meant to be, I guess it was dumbed down for the American audience. dry.gif

I would love to like the VP. Have only dip tested it in stores, but that clip position bothers me. Can't get past the clip.

QUOTE (Djehuty @ Apr 1 2007, 03:27 AM)
QUOTE (Taki @ Apr 1 2007, 07:20 AM)
Congrats on your new VP!  I use VP at work a lot, too smile.gif

Carbonesque is called "Kasuri" in Japan.  It's a type of traditional fabric with patterns created by threads partially left un-dyed(?) or in different colors.  It does kind of look like it.  To me the blue one looks most like kasuri kimono.

Now that makes sense. I looked up the "carbon fiber" finish, and it doesn't look much like what I see on my VP. But the kasuri does. If that's indeed what this is meant to be, I guess it was dumbed down for the American audience. dry.gif

Taki, that does make sense. Another difference is that the Carbonesque/Kasuri has a different "feel." It's softer and warmer -- and less of a fingerprint magnet. I find it more appealing. Just my opinion.

Doug

QUOTE (Kelly G @ Apr 1 2007, 03:21 AM)
  The PA had several and one that held particular sentimental value for him had been dropped on the nib end.  He knew I restored fp's so he asked me to see what I could do.  I shipped it to the service center and they fixed him up in fine style. 

I once put my VP through the washing machine (one of those big top-loader US ones, to boot [what does "to boot" mean?]). Anyway, it was severely compromised. When I got back to the UK I packed it up and sent it off to Pilot somewhere north of London and after a month or so it was returned to me with no charge. They had fixed or replaced the mechanism and fixed/replaced the nib section.

I was delighted.

However, they didn't return the box.

"Ah well," I thought to myself, "it would be churlish to make a fuss," and said nothing.

About a year later the box was returned. Someone must have come across it in the office and gone to the bother of packing it up and returning it to me.

I have the highest praise for Pilot for taking so much trouble. The least I could do was to buy a second one. So now I have a black one to go with my green. (For some reason I still like the first one best.)

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png