Brahman Ebonite

jonro

http://www.s162256685.onlinehome.us/FPN/Ebonite_Closed.jpg

First Impression

I was interested in adding an ebonite pen to my collection, but they all seemed quite pricey, and I was hesitant to spend that much money without knowing more about what I was buying. So, I took a look at eBay to see what was available. There were some of the usual suspects from Bexley and others and a single buy it now listing from a vendor I had never noticed before. These were tan with green striations. I wrote to the vendor, asking about the type of nib and whether he had any other colors available. He did and posted the brown and tan version on his store. I asked him about the manufacturer of these "no name" pens. He told me they were handmade by a company in Asia, where they make 3-4 a day. With a pedigree like that, how could I resist?

Appearance

It looks quite nice. It has a traditional cigar shape and is a medium-sized pen. The body of the pen is made from polished ebonite and is brown with black striations. The barrel is unadorned. The cap has two brass (I think) rings and a black rubber “jewel.” The clip appears to be made of a lacquered copper. The name on the cap is “Brahman.” That company is unfamiliar to me, but sounds Indian. Fit and finish is very good, but not perfect. When examined very closely, you can see light machining marks that were not buffed out. But, this requires a very close inspection.

Design

The cap takes 5-6 tuns to remove. This is not a pen to take to meetings.

Nib

Gold-plated, very firm, fine, steel nib. It’s slightly on the medium side of fine. It writes quite smoothly, but is noisy. Perhaps it is the alloy or shape of the nib, but it sounds a little scratchier than some other pens, but does not feel at all scratchy.

Filling System

Eye drop filler. It holds a ton of ink.

Cost and Value

This pen cost $25.00 plus shipping.

Conclusion

As soon as I picked it up, I knew that it was hard rubber rather than plastic. It warms up to the hand quickly. Now that I know what ebonite is about, I will probably collect more. In the meantime, I’m going to enjoy this very attractive, inexpensive ebonite pen.

http://www.s162256685.onlinehome.us/FPN/Ebonite_Crossed.jpg

http://www.s162256685.onlinehome.us/FPN/Ebonite_Nib.jpg

http://www.s162256685.onlinehome.us/FPN/Ebonite_Open.jpg

Edited by jonro

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jonro

• Maja

• kpfeifle

• Gepzo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A suggestion is to change the nib with a more interesting one.

I have the same one sporting a semiflex Waterman New York 2 and it is very enjoyble smile.gif

PS> Yes it is Indian. Same plastic and origin like this one smile.gif

Edited by antoniosz

Here is a link to one of the pens:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Green-Ebonite-Large-Fo...tem180097620143

Note that it is a buy it now item rather than an auction. The pen shown is the tan and green version. If you write to the vendor, he will list the brown version for you. He seems to only respond to email once a day (at best), in the evening.

It did not come with an eyedropper. I used my WriteFill kit to fill it. Actually, it holds so much ink, that I only filled it about halfway.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh my... after reading these reviews, I took the plunge, and bought one of the extra large brown/black swirl eye dropper pens from Maplume over ebay. Buy it Now, $25, just like the large ones reviewed by jonro.

I just got it today, and I must say that it is a PERFORMER. The nib is marked "Platinum tipped fine", and, while it is not impressively sized, it writes a smooth, wet line that is comparable to...well, its nice. <I had to curb my original enthusiasm - NOTE: Don't post about a new pen in the first 4 hours, the endorphins haven't worn off yet.>

My only complaint about the pen is that the section (also from ebonite) is a greenish color swirled with black, and doesn't match the brown/black swirl of the pen barrel and cap. Well, that and the trim channels on the cap have hot pink paint in them, instead of a more reserved color. I'll get over it, as long as it keeps performing well.

I may just send it off to be blackened... that would be a first, huh? Blacken an ebonite pen, instead of re-blacken one!

I got so jazzed about the product, I went and looked harder at Maplume's online store. They sell other eyedropper pens in what looks like acrylic or painted brass body sections, and what look like IPG nibs. Anyone tried any of those yet? They share the trim details with the ebonite pens, like the hot pink lines on the cap.

Gepzo

Edited by Gepzo

Excellent review, thanks very much. I'm in! Just bought a green one. My second eyedropper...looking forward to getting it (of course)!

Kevin

I see that Maplume has added a new "extra large" model. I hope they continue to add new models. We need more reasonably priced ebonite pens. I'm still very pleased with mine. It writes quite well, but with 8 turns to remove the cap, it's not going to replace my VP.

I asked the seller a few questions about the pens, it appears there are other colors available than the ones posted and mentioned above. If you look at his other items, there is a red/black swirled pen, too, and there is a light brown/black swirl as well, not just the chocolate/black swirl and green/black swirl. There's also a light green/black swirl, too. The plastic pens that are for sale ( for $12 and $18 ) are Eyedroppers, and not metal barreled, but made entirely from plastic, I assume much like the ebonite ones. That makes sense, as its just a different rod stock, and the same hardware could be used.

Gepzo

PS Is a pen addiction a problem if the pens don't cost more than $50 each?

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the great write-up, Jonro. :) I'm also curious about ebonite pens (having lusted after a Danitrio Densho for some time) and this is certainly a very affordable way to try one out. I may be joining the club soon too. ;)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I have a green and black swirly Brahman and it is really a delight to fondle, oops should have said hold!

Admittedly the nib was horrid so I cut the end off and ground it into a real yummy italic; perfecto.

To pay a measly $40 for an ebonite FP which holds an ocean of ink is a really super deal in my book.

Ok, I'll confess, the GBP/Dollar currency exchange rate was in my favour.

I asked the seller a few questions about the pens, it appears there are other colors available than the ones posted and mentioned above. If you look at his other items, there is a red/black swirled pen, too, and there is a light brown/black swirl as well, not just the chocolate/black swirl and green/black swirl. There's also a light green/black swirl, too. The plastic pens that are for sale ( for $12 and $18 ) are Eyedroppers, and not metal barreled, but made entirely from plastic, I assume much like the ebonite ones. That makes sense, as its just a different rod stock, and the same hardware could be used.

Gepzo

PS Is a pen addiction a problem if the pens don't cost more than $50 each?

Absolutely not!! Only one of my 69 pens cost over $50 (a Pelikan M200 with Binder F nib). :rolleyes: :embarrassed_smile:

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Mine arrived today and look exactly as I wished. A nice, slightly vintage looking 1930's design.

So, I'm new to eyedropper pens. Just how are these sealed after filling? One came with a blackish greae on the threads, the other dry. Would vasaline work or do I need a special grease to seal them.

Also, I can imagine "seal" is a relative term here........just how leak proof have your Brahman pens proven? Is this one for a case or one for a pocket <g>

Tony

Lifetime Leather Journal Covers

The Heirloom Razor Strop Co.

Mine arrived today and look exactly as I wished. A nice, slightly vintage looking 1930's design.

So, I'm new to eyedropper pens. Just how are these sealed after filling? One came with a blackish greae on the threads, the other dry. Would vasaline work or do I need a special grease to seal them.

Also, I can imagine "seal" is a relative term here........just how leak proof have your Brahman pens proven? Is this one for a case or one for a pocket <g>

Tony

Hi Tony,

I would use some 100% pure silicone grease (look for it in the plumbing section of your local hardware store...or in a shop that sells diving--scuba diving, etc---equipment) on the outside of the threads. I believe the petroleum components in Vaseline ®/other lubricant-type products might adversely affect ebonite/celluloid, etc. I haven't received my Braham pen yet, so I don't know if it actually *needs* something to prevent leaks. It might very well not require anything to be applied to the threads. Perhaps Jonro or another Braham pen owner might care to comment on their experiences with that....

so I don't know if it actually *needs* something to prevent leaks

It needs something :roflmho:

A little silicone grease fixed it right up!

Kevin

so I don't know if it actually *needs* something to prevent leaks

It needs something :roflmho:

A little silicone grease fixed it right up!

Oh, good to know! Thanks for the advance notice---still waiting for my Braham to arrive....

I don't know if my situation is unusual or not, but I've never used any silicon grease or anything else to treat the threads, and it has not leaked.