Looking for everyday pen for office use...

corten

Hi,

I am wondering about getting new pen:) bug attacked again:)

I am thinking about pen for everyday use in the office for taking sometimes rapid notes on every king of paper..

Requirements? Here some of my ideas...:

- smooth, on every kind of paper:) - I know it is hard to do..

- F nib suits me the best I guess

- medium weight, well balanced when not posted

- modern looking (nib and general pen layout)

- cartridge feed

I am thinking about getting Lamy studio (previously about black one but now I think stainless steel because non slippery grip section). Maybe you will have other types?

regards

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meanwhile

• corten

• zyg

• petra

I can only say what I use in and around the office and on the go, and I know it is neither modern nor cartridge, and that is a Scheaffer snorkel with Triumph nib.

It is robust enough for every day use, having survived half a century already.

Chris

Hi Corten

You might want to specify a price range as well, since this can affect your choices greatly.

I think the Lamy 2000 would fit your requirements quite well, and run around $100. Very nice nib, conservative modern design, nice materials and finish.

I always have a parker 25 at the office, never lets me down. Very modern looking. Also I would recomend Lamy pens, like the Lamy Studio 2000, another modern looking, great writing pen.

to be honest I was thinking about Lamy 2000 (it is in my price range as well) but I think it is only converter feed...and..hmm..made from some kind of plastic (maybe I am wrong).. - I prefer metal pens..anyway Lamy 2000 layout is great anyway:)

Good Morning, Corten...

Modern looking, and because of the cartridge issue, be easy to refill...

Okay...

But I am going to change that last parameter a bit. Must take a huge amount of ink so there is no running out in the middle of a meeting whilst taking notes...

May I be so bold as to suggest one of the higher trim models of the Pelikan Level pens. I have a Level 3 that just as nice as any contemporary pen, has good balance...and CAN'T be posted in any event..and the ink capacity is bigger than damn near anything on the market today...including many eyedroppers.

Additionally...and this is important...fill the pen is a very clean and neat operation...

Believe the Level in appropriate trim level would be an even better bet than just about any pen mentioned so far...if I may humbly say so...

Bill in the Jersey of the Colonies...

Namiki Vanishing Point may be ideal for your situation if clip positioning does not bother you. You might be able to say silver color/chrome or black/chrome ones "modern", but not as cool looking as Lamy 2000, though.

I suggest a Vanishing Point with a fine nib. I have one in black and rhodium. Sharp. Very sharp.

MY WISH LIST

Pilot/Namiki Vanishing Point, black and rhodium

Aurora 88 Ottantotto Nikargenta, black and rhodium

Sailor Sapporo, full size, black and rhodium

Namiki Bamboo, black

Nakaya Writer, black, rhodium clip, two-tone nib

QUOTE (NeoTiger @ Mar 14 2007, 10:38 AM)
Hi Corten

You might want to specify a price range as well, since this can affect your choices greatly.

I think the Lamy 2000 would fit your requirements quite well, and run around $100. Very nice nib, conservative modern design, nice materials and finish.

But it doesn't have the cartridge feed the guy specifically asked for...

- Jonathan

QUOTE (corten @ Mar 14 2007, 08:35 AM)

- cartridge feed

The Lamy Safari/Al-Star/Vista or Waterman Kultur fit all these requirements and are about $20-$30 on ebay. If you want a classier pen, look around for a mint of NOS (New Old Stock) Sheaffer Targa - the fullsize NOT slim version. NOS Targas come up all the time and can be as little as $100.

- Jonathan

QUOTE (paircon01 @ Mar 14 2007, 11:06 AM)

May I be so bold as to suggest one of the higher trim models of the Pelikan Level pens. I have a Level 3 that just as nice as any contemporary pen, has good balance...and CAN'T be posted in any event..and the ink capacity is bigger than damn near anything on the market today...including many eyedroppers.

I think possibly you meant the Level 5?

- Jonathan

What about a:

Waterman carene

lamy studio

lamy accent

pilot knight

caran d'ache ecridor

faber castell ambition

I would suggest a medium nib. When the nib is a little larger there is more flexsibility with regards to paper. The finer the nib, the higher quality paper I need. But for some brand medium is really like broad.

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

stop confusing the poor guy!!

Cartridge pen, bullet proof, good nib on any surface, metal pen and under $100.

It has to be a Parker 45; no question.

ABP

Nothing wrong with a Studio, I own 2, a SS fine and a black EF. The Studio is a worker, no doubt, and mine anyway will put down ink as fast as I can write. Perfect for note taking.

But a nice little pen that gets no respect is a Parker Sonnet. Inexpensive, works every time you pick it up, a lot of congifurations to choose from. Can't ask for much more of an EDC pen. There are a lot of dealers who close out discontinued models for close to half price. Beware of the Chinese fakes, but on the brighter side, they work as well as the originals most times.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

QUOTE (Ben @ Mar 14 2007, 01:51 AM)
I suggest a Vanishing Point with a fine nib. I have one in black and rhodium. Sharp. Very sharp.

Ditto!

http://homepage.mac.com/hdougmatsuoka/images/pen/vpboth.jpg

The clip placement bothers some, but if you have a schoolbook tripod grip, then it's no prob.

http://homepage.mac.com/hdougmatsuoka/images/pen/vpend.jpg

Doug

Hi, this is zyg, another guy from Poland

I highly recommend Waterman Charleston. This pen fulfills all your requirements. I've been using this pen in my office for many years. It uses cartridge/converter filling system. F nib, very smooth, giving consistent, uniform line. Screw-on cap.

And what is important in Poland - Charleston pens (and cartridges) are easily available in many shops (check Empik). The price is from 450 to 500 PLN, depending on where you buy. Least expensive is buying online, I can give you some usefull addresses.

I also have a Sheaffer Agio pen (ca 150 PLN), but it is for those who ask: "May I borrow your pen?". F nib, but writes like a needle. Diameter of the barrel is too small, in my oipinion. I prefer thicker pens and Charleston is almost perfect. If only it had a bigger nib! (sigh)

zyg

QUOTE (corten @ Mar 14 2007, 12:35 AM)
Hi,
I am thinking about pen for everyday use in the office for taking sometimes rapid notes on every king of paper..
- cartridge feed

I am thinking about getting Lamy studio (previously about black one but now I think stainless steel because non slippery grip section). Maybe you will have other types?
regards

My suggestion: Sailor 1911 or Professional Gear.

An excellent, 'no frills' workhorse pen for general use.

QUOTE (marklavar @ Mar 14 2007, 08:03 AM)
QUOTE (corten @ Mar 14 2007, 12:35 AM)
Hi,
- cartridge feed

regards

My suggestion: Sailor 1911 or Professional Gear.

An excellent, 'no frills' workhorse pen for general use.

Exactly what I thought at first, but the OP did state he wanted the pen to be well-balanced unposted. I know I'm comfortable with my Sapporo unposted, but the OP might not feel the same (unposted it comes in at about half an inch shorter then an M200). Pro Gear is a touch longer, I believe, but would probably still be most comfortable posted.

But, my Sapporo's M nib does write well and consistently on almost any type of paper.

happiness isn't caused

I don't have experience w/ a lot of different pens, but I use a Waterman Expert II that fulfills your requirements: smooth F nib on all papers I've used, cartridge feed, good weight and balance when unposted (of course YMMV, and I usually post), simple modern looks. I have the black lacquer, but I think the black matte, as well as the Urban series are sharp, simple and modern too. Construction is also metal, which I think you preferred in a later post.

Perhaps the other Watermans recommended may be similar. Someone recommend the Pilot Knight. I have one, and think it is a great work horse (and metal as well), but it is rather short unposted: 4 5/8" v. 5" for the Expert.

Rick

Well I'm going to be different and recommend modern Cross pens, as those are the ones I invariably reach for in the office, and they're available in reasonable price ranges these days... I reach for them because they're absolutely reliable & always start right up, plus they can take a bit of a beating:

available as metal or metal/lacquer pens, F nibs, blue & black cartridges available, modern looking...

Townsend

Pinnacle (an older model, but I just bought a new/old one on ebay for about $85 and it's fabulous -- just a very little bit smaller than the Townsend)

Verve -- these are on sale everywhere, now, it seems

Petra