Air travel

anniemac

I've never travelled with a fountain pen. But soon we're heading off on hols and I want to keep a journal while we're away. I prefer my journals to be in ink, and I don't want to make notes then transcribe whe we get back.

I've been reading some of the horror stories about leakage etc on FPN, and I have to confess I don't understand all the stuff about pressure etc.

I did a search of FPN before posting this so please slap me if I've missed the answer, but what I want to know is, is a cartridge pen going to be a safer bet?

From what i think I understand of the reasons for leakage, it sounds like it could be. Please help!

I have a couple of 25-yr-old Parkers that would be just the ticket!

We can sail safely inside the harbour but that is not what ships were built for - anon

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anniemac

• kenny

• jonro

• ericthered2004

Top Posters In This Topic

After one leakage episode I got into the habit of dumping the FP cartridge before I got on the plane. After that, no problems.

I gather you can do things like keep the cap off the pen(s) in flight, and doubtless there are other remedies, but that's the one I've found simplest.

Regards,

Eric.

Edited for clarity

Edited by ericthered2004

The flowers celebrated their sweetness

With just our noses

(ericthered junior)

So take pen without cartridge, insert cartridge while I'm there then ditch it before return flight?

If i write in all our destinations that's 5 cartridges, and I'd actually have to buy some because at the moment I refill old ones so I can use my lovely inks, but that seems like a very sensible and do-able strategy. Why didn't I think of that?

Thankyou!

We can sail safely inside the harbour but that is not what ships were built for - anon

My only experience is with modern pens. But I have taken a Mont Blanc 146 (piston filler) and Parker Sonnet (with converter) on many flights, without problem. The key is keeping the nib up during the climb to altitude. For a guy, that means "shirt pocket." But they could be kept in a brief case or purse if you ensure nib orientation.

Before the flight out, I fill normally -- fill as full as possible, expel 4 drops, fully extend piston with nib up. On return flight, they are as full as they are. However, since increased security, I just take Pilot G2s, or I take empty pens and cartridges.

I wonder if a hermetically sealed pen case would be the answer. I've never seen one of these, but it sounds like a good idea.

Easy answer, take along some aero Parker "51"s!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

"The older I get, the more I realize I'm getting older".

You may not want to buy a new pen, but it may be worth considering the Rotring Initial. I haven't seen much in terms of experience, but it is promoted to be safer in flight!

John

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

Parker "51" Aero, Parker Sonnet and Parker 65 all have travelled well in a pen case in my jacket recently.

For long trips I take a cartridge pen and a pack of spares as I don't want the hassle of taking bottled ink.

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

This trip will indeed be long, in terms of flights, 14 hrs, then nine, then 3, then 3, then 9 then 14!

I think I'll go for cartridge option. A handful will last my two weeks, I think. Do new Parker cartridges fit Parkers from circa 1980?

Ditto what JohnS said - key is keeping nib up. I travel a lot - am usually on 3-4 flights weekly - and keep my FPs with me in my computer case. I've even used in flight after the ascent phase. PS - I don't check luggage that often, but have never been stopped by security for my FPs.

Note that I have all newer pens - Lamy Safari, Studio, and a VP. One with a cartridge, the others with converters.

I've been on a bunch of flights with quite a few different pens, and never had a problem. I used to carefully fill them or put a new cartridge in, but eventually stopped doing that. The only thing I do is make sure they rest nib upward.

To be absolutely sure, use a cartridge fill pen and don't put the cartridge in until you land. Catridges are also easier to carry than a bottle of ink.

I have traveled with FPs for years. I follow two rules for pens:

• Fill the pen before flying.
  • Make sure that the pens are in upright position during take off and landing (this is the most important).
I take with me ink bottles that are nearly full, or completely full, and pack them within a zip bag in my suitcase. I haven't had any bad experiences so far. And, when the fly is long, I have even written in my notebooks (there is nothing like writing to make time fly).

I think the key is transporting the pens (and inks if bottled) in a ziplock bag. Last time I flew my pens were fine, but my bottle of ink leaked.

Doug

Just got back from a trip to California. I took 3 FP's including a Pelikan and a Hero 100. They were full when I left, less so upon my return. I had no problem with ink leakage or security.

QUOTE (Escribiente @ Mar 11 2007, 03:37 PM)
I have traveled with FPs for years. I follow two rules for pens:
  • Fill the pen before flying.
  • Make sure that the pens are in upright position during take off and landing (this is the most important).
I take with me ink bottles that are nearly full, or completely full, and pack them within a zip bag in my suitcase. I haven't had any bad experiences so far. And, when the fly is long, I have even written in my notebooks (there is nothing like writing to make time fly).

You don't think that TSA inspectors will open your nicely sealed bottle, check it out, then return it to your suitcase in a semi-closed manner?

I think you'll be fine with a Parker pen -- they tend to do well with air travel, with one of the best being a 51 Aerometric (as stated by others too). I prefer to use bottled ink. To avoid leakage, use a traveling ink pot. But if you're going to be flying around a lot, the cartridges may be easier to deal with. You can refill them and then plug the ends with some poster putty--it's very durable stuff and should hold the ink in (but of course, use a ziploc bag as a precaution).

Parker hasn't changed its cartridge sizes for a very long time--I'd expect the newer ones will fit your older Parker cartridge pens. The easiest way to verify this is to take one of the converters with you to the store and visually compare them.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I'm going to travel to see my brother in Honolulu for two weeks this summer. Well, at least I'll see him part of the time.

I plan to take one of my cartridge pens, most likely my MB Boheme, although I could be persuaded to take my Waterman Charleston (since it was cheaper, it'd be easier to replace).

Been on probably 7 cross-USA flights since I got my first fountain pen last spring -- never had a problem, but I always kept the nip pointed up.

The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise. -- Tacitus

I have a hermetically sealed case I used to use while SCUBA diving. The problem is that it's kind of big. Maybe I'll pack that with the luggage and put a couple of (inexpensive) pens in there to see what happens. If they make through there without leaking, that type of case would undoubtedly work in a fully pressurized cabin. Then, the question would be what would happen if you opened the case after ascent.