What is the UGLIEST pen ever produced ?

goodguy

What in your opinion is the ugliest pen ever produced ?

Please try to add a picture of your selection so we can all agree or disagree with your choice.

Respect to all

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dan Carmell

• maryannemoll

• raffor

• Silvermink

I always thought that any pen by Michel Audiard is pretty sinful wink.gif

Not only can they be bad for the eyes, but how can you write with them? blink.gif

Many of the much vaunted limited editions are to me just plain silly looking. But to choose a single pen that I think is downright ugly is a difficult task. I think I, too, will choose the Rotring Core. - All due apologies to Core fans.

QUOTE (bluemax @ Mar 10 2007, 01:54 AM)
I always thought that any pen by Michel Audiard is pretty sinful wink.gif

Not only can they be bad for the eyes, but how can you write with them? blink.gif

Amen.

Why would anyone make a FP look like them. Who would use them?

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

QUOTE (jd50ae @ Mar 10 2007, 03:47 AM)
QUOTE (bluemax @ Mar 10 2007, 01:54 AM)
I always thought that any pen by Michel Audiard is pretty sinful  wink.gif

Not only can they be bad for the eyes, but how can you write with them?  blink.gif

Amen.

Why would anyone make a FP look like them. Who would use them?

Does kinda make ya wonder what Bill Clinton's and Madonna's look like, though... Special order or "stock"....

WARNING: THIS REMAINDER OF THIS POST CONTAINS BOTH SERIOUS AND COMEDIC MATERIAL. THE MATERIAL IS INTERMIXED. THE WRITER IS RELAXING ON A SATURDAY MORNING AND HAVING SOME FUN. IF YOU ARE OFFENDED, GOSH....I'M SORRY...

Ugly pens...from straight production or from someone actually TRYING to make an ugly pen...

Straight production...Ugly and cool at the same time...the Graphyscathe (think that is the spelling.) Don't remember the marque but it was an interpretiation of a submarine in an FP. Had about 3 gazillion parts held together with 20 gazillion iddy biddy screws. Cost something like 8 large. Weighed, like 4 pounds...with all the protruberences I have no EARTHLY idea how a normal human would write with it.

Close second is the Krone MONICA LEWINSKI LE. Bent slightly to the left, there is a tiny swatch of the blue dress encapsulated in a genuine fake zirconium-like diamond material on the cap tassie. Can only be used while kneeling.

Bill..who believes the Rotring Core is not so much ugly as uncomfortable for a lot of folks. I have classic old fogey arthritis in my thumb joint and it actually hurts to use a Core...

PS

The post following mine has a picture of the pen I was talking about...the Graphyscathe...

Edited to indicate the following post has a picture of the pen I was referring to...the Graphyscathe...

Edited by paircon01

Yuck! This looks like a torture device, not a pen.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/airline_1938_184137734.gif

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

QUOTE (James P @ Mar 10 2007, 08:06 AM)
Yuck!  This looks like a torture device, not a pen.

See, now I think beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder. Every time someone starts an ugliest pen thread, this pen comes up. I love that pen. I saw it in person, held it in my hand. Thought it was sublime.

Edit: How can you not love the nib peeking out of the porthole? wub.gif

Edited by Elaine

Thanks for pointing that out Elaine...I'd never noticed the nib in the porthole before.

Still think it's a hideous pen, but the porthole is a neat design feature.

The Lepine above me certainly is interesting.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

QUOTE (Jared @ Mar 10 2007, 11:33 AM)
I'd have to say much of Krone's historically themed product line, especially such outrageous monstrosities as the Melville and the Einstein.

Jared

Sorry Jared, but i would have to disagree with you there, i think they are stunning pens, especially the Moby Dick one, i mean 10.000 year old mammoth ivory ohmy.gif with a beautiful scrimshaw finish, it really is a piece of fine art drool.gif

PARKER 51 RULES

QUOTE (Elaine @ Mar 10 2007, 08:29 AM)
See, now I think beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder. Every time someone starts an ugliest pen thread, this pen comes up. I love that pen. I saw it in person, held it in my hand. Thought it was sublime.

Edit: How can you not love the nib peeking out of the porthole? wub.gif

Yes, beauty sure is in the eye of the beholder. For example, someone actually loves me! wink.gif

Seriously, from an aesthetic viewpoint, I can understand the attraction is on the Lepine Graphyscaf. But it looks SO incredibly impractical as a writing instrument it's baffling to me. Still, you have had the opportunity to hold one in your hands and I have not, so I will defer to your judgment and I certainly respect your opinion.

And there is no doubt that Lepine thinks out of the traditional pen box.

James P.

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/dcarmell/45Signetset.jpg

Early gold-plated Parker 45 Signet FP and BP set (later Signets were GF or RG)

Now, I can understand Kurt's objection to Jules: not everyone is equipped to appreciate the squid, although they are said to be both intelligent and affectionate!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/dcarmell/45colorssomemore.jpg

These are not nearly all the colors!

But to put the humble but utilitarian Parker 45 on this list! The servant of a million hands, over 40 years in production! Made in everything from plastic to steel and anodized brass to gold plate, gold fill, and even sterling silver and solid gold!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/dcarmell/6C45.jpg

Parker 45 Coronet, six anodized colors over brass, gold-plated trim

Oddly enough, I'm taking my Parker 45 collection to the pen club meeting today to show it off. Yes, it's the only pen I seriously collect!

Dan

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/dcarmell/p45i.jpg

Later Parker 45 Signet in 10/12K Gold Fill

Yes, ugly comes in many colours. It's just not a design that attracts me at all. I like a barrel end that's rounded, or that's squared off; the semi-taper just turns me off. And that little plastic end piece you see on some of them - who thought that might be attractive?

Ah well, one man's meat...

Ray

...is another man's ink?

Ah, but have you written with one, Ray? A great writer and it came with many nib sizes--not as many as the 75 or even the modern Duofold, but a large, as yet not-completely catalogued variety. There's a reason it lasted 40 plus years!

Not really tryiing to convert you, just pleading for a favorite pen.

Dan

Edited by dcarmell

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Graphyscathe - I can certainly see why some would consider this ugly. I think it's overdone, but it has a certain appeal too. It kinda reminds me of 20,000 Leaques Under the Sea. For me, I would love making it, I think it would be hellacious fun and challenge. It would be important to be in your hand without uncomfortably being poked by a rivet.

Melville - I kinda like this pen. For the life of me, I can't imagine why Zebrawood from africa was chosen as a cap material in a New England story about whaling themed pen. Seems to me a wood somehow tied into the story would work better.

Michel Audiard - Gotta agree here. Very artsy, which is fine if that's your thing. Its just not to my taste at all.

Lepine - I think it's pretty ugly. Just don't like the styling at all.

Scott Meyer

Only One Creations

Creating artistic handcrafted pens of all types for special gifts, collectors, and corporations.

QUOTE (Samovar @ Mar 10 2007, 01:50 PM)
This Jean-Pierre Lépine ballpen is a contender!

sick.gif

Now, I liked the "squid pen" rolleyes.gif which a lot of you didn't.

I just like squids, they're very smart and curious animals. I used to do a lot of snorkeling and would meet many of them. smile.gif

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg