Total number of fountain pens

Jared

How many fountain pens do you own?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. How many fountain pens do you own?

• 1 -10
    • 11 - 50
    • 51 - 100
    • 101 - 200
    • 201 - 500
    • more than 500
    • None of your business!

The longer I'm in to this hobby, the more I seem to collect. It's sometimes hard getting rid of these things, and awfully easy to acquire them...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• alvarez57

• Nihontochicken

• Johnson

I recently did an inventory -- an Excel spreadsheet -- just to see how many pens I really had. At that time, I had 35 modern pens and 35 vintage pens. I haven't consciously tried to keep the number even, but I guess I must like vintage and modern pens about equally. I expect I will always have somewhere between 50 and 100 pens.

I don't even want to begin to think how much money I have "invested" in these pens . . .

i have 48 smile.gif

Wyatt Earp--Wyatt Earp

brave,courageous and bold

long live his fame & long live his glory

and long may his story be told

I currently have about 15, not counting the Connaisseur set that I've got listed on the Marketplace. My wife has 3 - her VP, a Safari, and a No-Nonsense in Avocado Green.

Update: I now have 20 pens, I believe. It was a good day. smile.gif

Edited by rroossinck

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

I have twenty-two, a decent mix of vintage and modern. Soon though, I will be cutting that number in half because of lack of use.

I think I've got like 24? I'm at work so I can't count them.

I'll most likely be selling a bunch soon for the same reason john.reiss stated: lack of use.

Edited by Johnson

happiness isn't caused

I don't have a whole lot of pens. If I were a collector, that would be one thing. I am mainly a user, and I have 6 pens. The problem is that, even with such a low number, I always have trouble deciding which ones to carry with me on a given day. I don't want to get one of those portfolios that carry 10 or 40 so I can have them all. I do have a 3 pen pouch which makes the choice a little easier. Imagine if I had more pens, how difficult it would be!

I have around 30... for now. The number is growing by several per month. Where I'll be this time next year is scary!

By the way, I like those number ranges!! Close to exponential... which is very appropriate for this obsession!

i do not want my pens to exceed 10. I want to be able to use my pens on a regular basis, just like I do my music instruments. Currently, I have 4 FPNs - 2 Pelikans and 2 Lamy pens. I use my pens on an everday basis and, in my opinion, I would rather have a few pens to use than have a bunch sitting in a case and not enjoy them as much as I would like.

I do see the merit of a reduced collection. I am definitely going to pare down to half of what I've got. On the one hand it's nice to have diversity, yet on the other hand it's too much to manage.

After several years of pen exploration, I have settled upon a few daily writers though. Lamy 27, Lamy 2000, Parker 51, and Pilot (VP, Custom, and MYU).

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

12 for the moment

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I just bought #15 from eBay last night.

I don't collect just fountain pens, but also rollerballs and ballpoints. If I include all pens in my collection I'd be at 32.

I'm actually thinking about selling a bunch of these, that I don't use or never have used, to fund purchases of higher end pens.

Success is the next-best thing to happiness, and if you can't be happy as a success, it's very unlikely that you would find a deeper, truer happiness in failure. - Michael Korda

I *had* about 20 happycloud9.gif until a few minutes ago when i went nuts and bought about 15 more!!! laugh.gif roflmho.gif lticaptd.gif

Fortunately this all still puts me in the 11-50 category! smile.gif

Soon i'll have more than that!!! headsmack.gif

I ink, therefore I am.

QUOTE (Jared @ Mar 2 2007, 04:40 AM)
The longer I'm in to this hobby, the more I seem to collect. It's sometimes hard getting rid of these things, and awfully easy to acquire them...

I class myself as both a user and a collector. I currently have 25 pens and I am planning for a maximum of 30 pens. Obviously I don't use them all, several are for collection purposes only.

wink.gif

About 49 and I try to used them all.

I am constantly writing... happycloud9.gif happycloud9.gif happycloud9.gif

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Speaking of acquiring more pens, for those people trolling eBay for pen bargains, have you noticed that pen auctions have been tending to close at higher prices as of late? In the arena of pens I tend to look at, I believe I'm seeing an upward trend. And a lot more buyers are appearing from countries I'd never seen much of on eBay before (including China, South Korea, Taiwan, Serbia, Romania, etc.).

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

QUOTE (MYU @ Mar 3 2007, 02:12 AM)
Speaking of acquiring more pens, for those people trolling eBay for pen bargains, have you noticed that pen auctions have been tending to close at higher prices as of late? In the arena of pens I tend to look at, I believe I'm seeing an upward trend. And a lot more buyers are appearing from countries I'd never seen much of on eBay before (including China, South Korea, Taiwan, Serbia, Romania, etc.).

huh.gif

Yep! I have noticed that too, especially on the Sailor pens. They're almost selling as normal retail prices.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

QUOTE (alvarez57 @ Mar 2 2007, 08:22 PM)
QUOTE (MYU @ Mar 3 2007, 02:12 AM)
Speaking of acquiring more pens, for those people trolling eBay for pen bargains, have you noticed that pen auctions have been tending to close at higher prices as of late?  In the arena of pens I tend to look at, I believe I'm seeing an upward trend.  And a lot more buyers are appearing from countries I'd never seen much of on eBay before (including China, South Korea, Taiwan, Serbia, Romania, etc.).

huh.gif

Yep! I have noticed that too, especially on the Sailor pens. They're almost selling as normal retail prices.

Yup, apparently eBay seller engeika's reputation has gotten out to the masses. I read old posts here saying his/her deals used to be the best, but now they seem to all close at near retail prices. And he/she isn't using reserve prices or any crazy claims like some other sellers. Bidding starts at 99 cents, and they just go up!!

I'm sad that I missed the boat on this one. wink.gif

happiness isn't caused