In need of an everyday pen...

-Paolo-

I'm looking for a fine nib for everyday use.

I'm currently using a Shaeffer Javelin Medium, and I find that it leaves a really thick line.

I've narrowed it down to the following.

Cross ATX

Lamy Safari (Al-star)

Shaeffer Javelin

But if you have other recommendations, I'd like to find out more as well.

All are fine nibs, but I was looking for some input. Also, I think I would be using the converter for the pens rather than cartriges.

Thanks.

EDIT:

Also, I'm from Canada, so if anyone knows a good website to buy pens from with cheap shipping to me, let me know. Most of the links I've seen are from Europe.

Edited by -Paolo-

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -Paolo-

• lisa

• Maja

• Jared

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the Hero pens, they are hooded and look like Parker 51, 61s. Inexpensive pens. The 616 is $10+ shipping. The 616, 329 and others are Fine nibs, write well and last a long time with ink. For a couple dollars more, $15, I believe the Hero 110 has an even smoother fine nib. If you want to go super Fine, hisnibs.com may still have a Hero 327-1 for $10+ shipping. The 327-1 I have on order, but I've used the other Heros and they work very well, day in day out. Nice looking, but won't cry if I drop or leave. Buy two.

isellpens.com

cutepens.com

hisnibs.com

All sell the Heros at good prices and with good service.

Of the three you have mentioned I would choose the Lamy... you won't go wrong with the pen and the price is reasonable enough to purchase two and have a spare inked and ready to go... even with a different color is you want...

Jim Partridge at Pear Tree Pens is a great place to purchase one... he is a member here and a very good dealer to work with...

I believe he is currently on holiday for a week or two.

Greetings Paolo,

I concur with Tom. The Lamy Safari enjoys an excellent reputation and the aluminum models, (the Al-Star), have beautiful metallic paint finishes. I would also consider a Waterman Phileas with a fine nib- I have one and I love it. (The only problem is they have gone out of production so you MAY have to do a little scrounging to find one).

Best wishes and good luck with your quest,

Sean

smile.gif

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

I use Al-stars for school and really like them. Lamy nibs run very wide, and I have found that it takes an EF to get any type of a "fine" line (the width of such is comparable to a .7mm Pilot G2). If marketed as a ballpoint, the F nib would probably be labeled B (but remember, that's in ballpoint terms, not FP).

I have found that the EF tends to be dry but still smooth, and the F is a bit wetter. In terms of shading: the inks that I run in my Al-stars seem to shade between a lighter color and a darker color. The EF is 100% light, and the F is 75% light, 25% dark. Something like a Pel M200 is 100% dark.

I would go with the Safari, but as mentioned with the EF nib. I also have the Studio, but in the Palladium finish which increased cost a bit above the $60USD, but I actually prefer the Safari for everyday writing between the two.

http://homepage.mac.com/hdougmatsuoka/images/pen/vistauncapped2.jpg

Judging from HDoug's picture, I think a fine point would suffice.

The only real turn-off with the Safari is the clip...

Edited by -Paolo-

The Lamy studio (non-palladium) uses the same nib as the safaris and alstars, so you won't get any improvement in writing performance, just a body upgrade. Around that price point I bet the M200 would give it some serious competition.

The Safari or AL-Star with F or EF nibs would be my first choice. A Hero 800 in stainless is an excellent alternate.

Thanks for the input guys!

I'm going to stick with the Lamy then!

If I remember, I'll post my impressions of it from a newbies point of view biggrin.gif

Hi Paolo,

Where in Canada are you? I'm in Vancouver, and I know in addition to shipping charges, another concern when purchasing online are the potential duties you might have to pay... I haven't ordered from them personally, but Boutique du Stylo has pretty good prices and their shipping within Canada runs from $7-9, and I think a few people here have spoken well of them.

If duties aren't a concern for you, then I'll echo others in recommending James from Pear Tree Pens- he offers good prices and awesome service. He is on vacation until March 5th or 6th though.

I have the Lamy Vista with a F nib, and I found it to be a bit scratchy. It might have just been a faulty nib, though. I dropped it a few weeks ago headsmack.gif and in attempts to get it to write again, have mangled it into a slightly smoother, if broader, working condition. I also bought a 1.1 nib which is super-smooth, but not too practical in my daily writing (which is I guess, another plus for the Lamy pens, their relative ease in replacing nibs should you need/want to).

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4619/inkxchangemm0.png Currently out of vials.my ink list

Ink of the moment: mix of Noodler's Lermontov, Britannia's Blue Waves, and Whiteness of the Whale

Good decision on the Lamy wink.gif wink.gif

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

QUOTE (goldkiwi @ Feb 25 2007, 11:37 PM)
I haven't ordered from them personally, but Boutique du Stylo has pretty good prices and their shipping within Canada runs from $7-9, and I think a few people here have spoken well of them.

Thanks for the link! wink.gif

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

I have a Javelin and, like you, find the medium to be pretty broad.

I used a fine pointed Phileas daily for at least a year and they come up for sale on this board and on the green board pretty often.

Have a Lamy Safari with a fine nib and find it a bit broad, but a lovely pen and it makes a good knock-a-round later when you get some more expensive writers and face it... this hobby is hopelessly addictive -- you'll be getting more pens.

If I have one piece of advice I wish I had known back when I started collecting fountain pens... buy what you want first, no matter the price, as it is always cheaper in the long run.

Yeah, this hobbie is quite endless... Same thing goes with my audiophile issues smile.gif

I find everything I find an interest in is an endless avenue of upgrades smile.gif for example, the car, my sound equipment, and fountain pens...

QUOTE (alvarez57 @ Feb 25 2007, 08:02 PM)
QUOTE (goldkiwi @ Feb 25 2007, 11:37 PM)
I haven't ordered from them personally, but Boutique du Stylo has pretty good prices and their shipping within Canada runs from $7-9, and I think a few people here have spoken well of them. 

Thanks for the link! wink.gif

The people at Boutique du Stylo are great. I stop by the Montreal boutique almost every week. They know pen!

They will also let you try any pen and will special order anything you might dream of. It's a chain of 4 stores, so if they don't have it in one store, they call right away and you get it the next day.

The selection of pen is really good. I have never ordered from them since I live downtown, but they really take care of their customers.

Samovar

Visit my food blog

Foodie Topography