My new marlen Basilea

alvarez57

I got it yesterday after thinking and thinking if I wanted the Red , the black or the combined version. I also liked the price $169 with shipping from PenGallery in Malaysia.

The lines are classical, not gawdy; the pen is of a medium to large size (small large?) and very light. It has a nice wet line and the nib is medium. I have not yet used it much, so the nib has not broken in yet, but it is smooth.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alvarez57

• maryannemoll

• RichardS

• georges zaslavsky

The cap is really pretty

Thanks! biggrin.gif

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

sad.gif

Sorry, but I still haven't learned how to gather all the photos in the same post!

sonia alvarez

Thanks for the review--I too have been tempted by that price at pengallery! I like the color combination you chose--dark with a splash of color.

Enjoy!

Dan

It uses the same system than the vac and very nice pen as well wink.gif Does marlen have a website? I might give a try to this pen.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

tongue.gif

Thank you guys!

To answer your questions:

1. website http://www.marlenpens.com/

2. It holds very comfortably, now it does have a VERY wet line.The nib still needs break-in, but the pen does not tire nor cramp my hand. I'm really enjoying it for it has beautiful lines/shape. :

3. I have another Marlen I continenti: America, and it's also gorgeous although I'm not too happy with the F nib (it was another special from Pen Gallery @ about 150-169$; it sells now for close to 200$). Maybe either it needs break-in or my handwritting just doesn't go with some F nibs. sad.gif

This is an M400 next to it.

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

I like Marlens very much and have a Basilea like yours, but with a red cap. The nib is great; smooth, wet and with a little spring to it. Just remember to keep that sterling silver polished! (It tarnishes surprisingly quickly!)

Here's a pic of the Marlen (dot)com model; nice pen, but the nib needed some work to keep it from skipping. Now it's great.

http://img491.imageshack.us/img491/7003/img0003afpnloresx2nx.jpg

Thanks for the precision alvarez 57 wink.gif

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

wink.gif

Richard, that is a very nice pen. I may be wrong, but to me the Italians are the kings of celluloid. I'm glad you're enjoying your pen. I loved the red one, but I ended up favoring the black.

drool.gif

sonia alvarez

QUOTE (georges zaslavsky @ Feb 15 2007, 06:51 PM)
Thanks for the precision alvarez 57 wink.gif

Georges, vous pouvez m'apeller Sonia. smile.gif

If you're interested on cheaper Marlens, go to ebay to this link:

http://stores.ebay.com/pensgallery

I have found that their eBay store is cheaper than their on-line website

http://www.pengallery.com/default.aspx?cat...cat_sub_index=0

wink.gif

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

QUOTE (alvarez57 @ Feb 16 2007, 06:57 AM)

Sometimes, yes, but the nib choice is often limited compared to their website.

QUOTE (saintsimon @ Feb 17 2007, 03:44 AM)
QUOTE (alvarez57 @ Feb 16 2007, 06:57 AM)

Sometimes, yes, but the nib choice is often limited compared to their website.

sad.gif And you're right, that's how I got my I continenti with F nib. Another pen on line to a visit to Richard binder. cool.gif

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about the Basilea's filling type. Does it hold much ink? How much does it hold when compared with the Pelikan M400 or M600?

Thanks in advance.

huh.gif

Good question, I haven't like yet come to a formula to calculate how much, except by watching how many turns it takes to empty the barrel/cartridge.

So I cannot really compare with the M600 but I can tell you it really holds quite some ink. Now, the nib is kind of temperamental... dry.gif Pelikans, Omas behave almost the same with any type of paper; this Marlen NOT. In some papers it squeaks! ohmy.gif And believe me, I'm learning not to put a heavy hand on the writing. Also it skips. I'm just being patient with it because that is a similar problem I had with my Montegrappa and it took a good amount of months to get where it's at: one of my favorite writers.

So I would give a 4/5 to this nib because it is still VERY smooth and I love the classic looks of the pen. smile.gif

sonia alvarez

QUOTE (georges zaslavsky @ Feb 14 2007, 07:57 PM)
It uses the same system than the vac and very nice pen as well wink.gif Does marlen have a website? I might give a try to this pen.

If it uses the same system as the Vacumatic, does it then hold the same ink as the Vacumatic?

ohmy.gif It really doesn't use the same filling system as a Vacumatic.

The Basilea uses a captive converter piston system, and the Vacumatic uses a vacuum diaphragm. They're quite different. If a Vacumatic is in good shape (good diaphragm, air-tight seals) then it will hold far more ink than a Basilea.

The only modern pen I know with a vacuum-filling system is a Tibaldi Iride. And that seems to hold even more ink than a Vacumatic!

If you're interested, I wrote a review of it HERE