Monteverde Mauna Kea

handlebar

I will preface this review by referring to my last Monteverde examination.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=24146

To sum that review up in a sentence,i was disappointed in the pen and it's nib.

That model was sent back to Monteverde and replaced with a pen of my choice.The only pen i liked was the Mauna Kea,which is the second pen in the "Mountains of the World" series.This caramel swirl coloured pen peaked my interest as i just adore brown celluloid pens. I received the pen after a week wait,which was good considering the problems i have had with Monteverde.Here are the results of my observations:

Appearance/Finish:3.5 out of 5

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/MVMK71-small.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/MVMK81-small.jpg

When i first unwrapped the pen,i noticed the bright swirls and nice feel.The materials are noted as "european-grade acrylic resins".Looks nice i will admit.The lower end sports a chrome tip and adds a dash of weight.The middle is enhanced by three silver rings,with a fourth added where the cap screws on.The screw on cap was a nice treat as i expected a snap on similar to the other Monteverde pens i own.Only drawback was that the threads on the body were plastic,not steel.The slick finish was nice to the touch.The cap did have lines where the acrylic was blended,thus giving a bit of roughness to it.

Weight/Size: 4 out of 5

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/MVMK41-small.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/MVMK11-small.jpg

The pen,as mentioned already,is a light-weight.The metal clip and end are a nice touch added to the weight.The size is nice though:With the cap on it is 5-3/4" overall.

Without the cap it is 4-3/4".Posted it is 6-1/4"Fits the hand very nicely i must say.

Nib/Writing performance:4 out of 5

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/MVMKnib1-small.jpg

The nib looks similar to the Monteverde black tie .It is a standard Iridium nib that is supposed to be a medium.It writes more like a fine point nib.I'm not sure who produces these nibs but they are average.You certainly will not get a $200 nib when the pen retails for $80.This nib writes better than any of the other Monteverde nibs so far.It is smooth with a thinner line.

I filled the converter with Waterman's Havana Brown.I had to use my own converter as Yafa sent me the pen only,without a box or converter!! They have told me the box and acqutrements should be shipped soon(we'll see!).The pen started right away.A far cry better than the Rose Gold pen i had tried previously.This is the first day with this pen,so i cannot be sure of how things will progress.But so far,i like it.

Here is a sample of the writing quality:

This was shot with my Nikon D50 and a flash on Astroparch #60 paper:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/Keats11-small-flash.jpg

And here with the same camera and paper,in natural light:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/keats21-smallnatural.jpg

Filling system:3.5 out of 5

Typical cartridge/converter system.No big surprises here.

Cost/value: 4 out of 5

This pen retails for $80-95 depending on where you buy it.I think as fountain pens go,thats not too bad.This is all relative as everyone has an idea as to price and value.If i were buying outright,and not receiving as a replacement,i would have saved my money for a more expensive and better made pen,such as a Conklin,Cross or Tryphon (which is one of the better values at this price,IMHO).

Overall:4 out of 5

I would have given this pen a higher rating but for the light weight and ,in some ways,cheap feel.I admit it is a nice looking pen.The colour swirls and "mountainous" look are an asset.It is attractive.But the writing is where i look.It is a good pen for a backup.I wouldn't choose it as an everyday pen for serious writing.I will be using it at work since i wouldn't trust taking my more expensive pens there.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/MVMK51-small.jpg

I always have fun trying out new pens and writing about it.Hope this helps someone considering the Monteverde Mauna Kea.

Handlebar

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handlebar

• Judybug

• bdngrd

• helius

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review, I enjoyed your writing sample and the selection of keats as well.

Thanks ever so much for the kind words.

JD

Thanks for this review. This is a beautiful pen - I like the three rings on the cap. I think Monteverde makes some really nice-looking pens.

I have a Black Tie. But honestly - I don't know if I'll ever buy another Monteverde. :huh: Unless I'm using my Black Tie every single day, it doesn't flow well and it takes quite a bit of doodling around to get it going.

I don't understand why this is the case. I have pens that cost a fraction of the price of the Black Tie and they start right up even after being laid up a few days. For example, a mini Aldo Domani [by Yafa] - about $10 - and starts every time! That's a sweet little pen!

I've had good experience with Monterverde [Yafa] service. They've replaced my Black Tie nib once, but it's still an ornery starter - I guess that's just its nature. :(

Judybug

Edited by Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

Thanks for the review. I was just looking at this pen a few days ago.

After reading everyone else's experience with MonteVerde/Yafa, I'm starting to suspect that my great experience with my Regatta was an anomaly. Ah well, at least they sent you out a new pen.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Thanks for the review.  I was just looking at this pen a few days ago.

After reading everyone else's experience with MonteVerde/Yafa, I'm starting to suspect that my great experience with my Regatta was an anomaly.  Ah well, at least they sent you out a new pen.

:unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

Well,yes.They sent the pen.And nothing else.I sent in my whole set up:pen,converter,box et al.The only thing they sent back was the new pen.Thats all.Minus box,converter.So an email went out saying so.They have promised to rectify the situation today.

We will see.

I know they are busy.They are a big company.But the communication factor was less than good.Only these last few days have been better.It is best to call on the phone and talk to them directly.Emails tend to get "lost".

I have the pen with me this morning and it still writes well.No problems as yet.

JD

Edited by handlebar

Thanks for the review. Interesting that you equate weight with quality. IMHO, the two have little to do with one another, but is merely an issue of personal preference.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Thanks for the review. Interesting that you equate weight with quality. IMHO, the two have little to do with one another, but is merely an issue of personal preference.

In some respects,yes.I agree.They differ.But when a pen contains a "chrome" looking part at the end(not silver),i tend to view that as an aesthetic of weight.

Same as a cornerstone in architecture.

If the pen were acrylic only,with no metal on the end,then it would not have been brought up.

But i'm glad you mentioned it.Many might feel the same way you do.

Still writing good!!!Maybe i have a winner here!

JD

Thanks for the review.  Interesting that you equate weight with quality.  IMHO, the two have little to do with one another, but is merely an issue of personal preference.

In some respects,yes.I agree.They differ.But when a pen contains a "chrome" looking part at the end(not silver),i tend to view that as an aesthetic of weight.

Same as a cornerstone in architecture.

If the pen were acrylic only,with no metal on the end,then it would not have been brought up.

But i'm glad you mentioned it.Many might feel the same way you do.

Still writing good!!!Maybe i have a winner here!

JD

JD,

I know what you mean. There can be a certain quality feel to a "chrome" metal section even

if it's just for esthetics too. My Van Gogh Maxi has just that at the metal section, a

nice weighty feel making it a pleasure to use and look at, even though I also love

the lighter feel of some other pens I own.

I use my wifes D50 for my reviews. Manual mode w/shutter priority, EV +1.0

@ISO 1600, no flash, WB set at incandesent or direct sunlight. The camera is

so good in low light I never use the flash which is so good about the camera

keeping things natrual.

S.

After reading everyone else's experience with MonteVerde/Yafa, I'm starting to suspect that my great experience with my Regatta was an anomaly. 

When I made my earlier comment about being reluctant to buy another Monteverde since my Black Tie's performance leaves a lot to be desired - I was forgetting :doh: that my husband has a Regatta and is very pleased with it. He is not a daily fountain pen user. His Regatta is often laid up with ink in it for a month without use and yet it writes from the get-go. So indeed there are trouble-free Monteverdes. :)

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

After reading everyone else's experience with MonteVerde/Yafa, I'm starting to suspect that my great experience with my Regatta was an anomaly. 

When I made my earlier comment about being reluctant to buy another Monteverde since my Black Tie's performance leaves a lot to be desired - I was forgetting :doh: that my husband has a Regatta and is very pleased with it. He is not a daily fountain pen user. His Regatta is often laid up with ink in it for a month without use and yet it writes from the get-go. So indeed there are trouble-free Monteverdes. :)

Judybug

I have not had a problem with my Black Tie.Seems to be writing well.

JD