• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pendragon

• kissing

• bluejay

• Nihontochicken

They both imitate the Parker "51", but I think the Hero 100 is better than the 616 in that it's a 14K Gold nib, whereas the 616 is just a steel nib. That's probably the main reason why the Hero 100 costs more than the 616. However, the 616 is aesthetically closer to the Parker "51" though ;)

Both are good pens, and usually write OK upon first filling. I have a Hero 100 and Hero 329 which are both Parker "51" replica's, and I love them very much :D

Yes, they'll last quite long. The aerometric fillers in them are probably almost as robust as the original Parker "51"s.

I hear the plastic used isn't as good as the original "51"s, but they'll last as long as any other fountain pen would, for that matter. I know their low prices makes you question how long they'll ask, but I've taken the plunge, and am convinced of their good quality and longevity :D

If it breaks - big deal :D $9.99

I have had a Hero 100 for about a year, and use it all day every day. Not only has it held up quite well, it is a smooth writer and a pleasure to use. A coworker who had never used a fountain pen before tried it once and liked it so much that he bought one, too. That says a lot for a pen that only costs $28.

You might be interested in this review, which compares the Hero 100, Hero 616 and Parker 51.

I have several Hero 3xx pens that are upwards of 5 years old. They are in and out of rotation and are a favorite go-to pen when I need the tiniest of F nibs. The only ink they ever had even a hint of an issue with is the MB Black I got, but even the two MBs have trouble with it.

I purchased my Heros from hisnibs.com and got great service. He does a good ebay business as well. Have met him in person, honorable gentleman, like Richard Binder and Giovanni Abrate.

As to other sellers, stay with the reputable ones...I have never traded with ipens, but have never read anything but praise.

Other than the spontaneously exploding resin of the MB pens, which, rumor has it, can cause grevious bodily harm, most fountain pens will last a good while if given reasonable care, feed nice inks (I prefer PR and Noodler, YMMV) and given the occasional enema...

Bill

Todd @ isellpens, can't be beat for all your Hero needs. I also order lots of ink from him.

The only 51-esque Hero I have used is the 100, but I greatly prefer its looks (based on pictures of the other model) because to me the 100 pays homage to the 51 while still maintaining its own character. The cap slides off and on easily, the clip is nice and tight, and the nib is a super smooth F/XF. Weird thing is I don't even like XF nibs, but I like the one on the Hero. A really great deal all around. :)

BTW I have one in black and a flighter. The flighter is great.

Edited by Johnson

happiness isn't caused

Hero 100

Bought several from isellpens.com; a wonderful site and people to deal with- friendly, seem to anticipate any concerns, relieve angst- and, of course, fine service.

Plus, there is an oddity about this pen- I usually prefer pens large in the girth, but the 100 is a fine, fine pen.

Tony

Hey guys do you know where I can purchase a hero 616 or 100? I can't seem to find them on the internet.

You can buy the Hero 616 from cutepens (they're listed as the Hero Doctor). I've ordered from them in the past - quick shipping, postage included and they sent me a free Hero 332 with an order of 3 other pens. I can't recommend them enough.

the clip is nice and tight, and the nib is a super smooth F/XF.

Wait a second, does the 100 come with any other nib width, or it's just the F or XF variety??

Because I want to get one with M or B nib...

Nenad

life is nothing if you're not obsessed.

As far as I know, Hero 100s only come in one size, that writes like a Fine/EF..

I have a broad (equivalent to a western medium) nibbed '100' in my personal collection, but the vast majority of the pens are produced with an 'F' nib. I introduced the '100' to the U.S. about 10 years ago and sold it for many years. It's a terrific pen -- or was -- until Hero shifted to a cheaper, thinner plastic for the hood about 3 years ago. Twenty-five percent or more of each order I imported came back to me from my customers with cracked and leaking hoods. I haven't carried them since, but if you find a good one, they're a terrific pen.

Regards,

Norman Haase

His Nibs.com

www.hisnibs.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HisNibs1

You might be interested in this review, which compares the Hero 100, Hero 616 and Parker 51.

This must be an older review, as the Hero 100 and 616 it describes are essentially the same pen, the 100 with better materials, fit and finish. The 100 in the review looks like what the current 616 is. The current 100 is a very different pen inside (more similar to a Parker 61 than a 51, I'm told). Anyway, if you just want a pen to write with, get the current 100, a nicer pen than the current 616. If you are interested in taking the pen apart to see what a 51 looks like on the inside, but without risking much money, then get the 616 instead of, or in addition to, the 100. I don't recommend taking a 100 apart, it's not intuitively obvious how it's put together, and even when you know how it goes together, it's still difficult to dismantle without some minor damage to the shell* threads. Frustrating. But while the 616 parts are not interchangeable with those of the Parker 51, they go together in pretty much the same way. For the money and straightforward design, I really like the 616. I don't like the 100 as well due to its funky and fussy internal design. Hero should upgrade materials and finish of the 616 and ditch the 100, IMO.

*Edit: Change "barrel and section" to "shell". Brain fade, sorry. :doh:

Edited by Nihontochicken

Nihonto Chicken

I had not considered taking the pen apart as a factor, but now that you mention it, fountain pen disassembly, repair and reassembly would be a good thing to learn. Thanks for the advice, Nihontochicken!

Hey guys do you know where I can purchase a hero 616 or 100? I can't seem to find them on the internet.

You can buy the Hero 616 from cutepens (they're listed as the Hero Doctor). I've ordered from them in the past - quick shipping, postage included and they sent me a free Hero 332 with an order of 3 other pens. I can't recommend them enough.

Yes I too like cutepens best. They ship for free, so the final cost is often much lower than US-based sellers, and there aren't any surprises at checkout. You also get a package from Mumbai, which is always nice I find.

Regards,

Eric

The flowers celebrated their sweetness

With just our noses

(ericthered junior)