1950 parker vacumatic

georges zaslavsky

Hi

Well I pulled the trigger on a french made vacumatic duofold from 1950 today . So here is a pic of my vac (courtesy of morastylo's website) that I baught at morastylos. I tried several vacs before buying mine but their nibs were too stiff and too scratchy. I also tried the big red duofold and other celluloid duofold from the 30's but their nibs were too scratchy. So I looked at Mora's website and I asked them to reserve the pen. I went to mora's shop and tested then the pen which had one of the very best and smoothest nib ever made. The french made vacs and aerometrics have a particularity, they have their nibs marked "Parker 18 carats". Parker from the 50's are very well made products and I can understand why people collect them.

Now time to make a description of the pen:

apparence/finish: 5/5

The bordeaux body color is very nice and pleasing to the eye. The pen is very warm to the touch. And you can tell that parker did some very great quality products in the past.

size/weight: 5/5

The size of the vac is the same than the duofold centennial, ergonomics are excellent and it is not too light and not too heavy.

filling/system: 5/5

The vacumatic system is reknown for its durability and reliability, it is also a parker trade mark. I like its easiness of use.

nib performance: 5/5

This is where parker excells, the nib is butter smooth and writes perfectly. It glides on paper and it is a real pleasure to write with.

Conclusion:

The french made vac is a pen to consider and also a very well made pen. Not only it offers incredible writing performance but it is also a writing instruments that was intended to be transmitted from generation to generation. I highly recommand the french made vac to any vac enthusiast.

post-34-1170526252_thumb.jpg

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• georges zaslavsky

• SMG

• johnr55

• Dean

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How much do these pens cost? How about a writing sample :) .

Dean

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded how much he had learned in the last seven years.

--Mark Twain

How much do these pens cost? How about a writing sample :) .

Dean

I paid for mine 180€ but it was in absolute pristine condition. Here is a writing sample that I used with montblanc bordeaux ink that I reviewed.

post-34-1170536566_thumb.jpg

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thank you for the review and writing sample. It sounds like it achieved the most important criterion: satisfying its owner.

Enjoy!

Yes it did and thanks for the compliments ;) I have tested a half dozen of vacs before finding the right one. I think to find the right item is not always easy, it is also a matter of luck, patience and how quick you grab the opportunity when you see it. It is the same approach when you buy vintage watches.

have a nice day.

regards

georges ;) :)

Congratulations on a great pen. I too love Vacumatics, and have about a dozen of them currently. I have many different nibs on them ranging from bold rigid nails to medium and fine flexible. I also have a bold flexy nib, which is almost stublike.

I rather like the rigid Vacumatic nibs, as they are totally reliable and can be very smooth at the same time. They are great for writing in a hurry.

I just picked up a Vacumatic JR 3rd Generation US manufacture that has a very flexible nib, which is a little unusual. It is actually too flexible for me so it will probably go up for sale in the next few days.

Be careful with Vacs though, they do tend to be addictive. Good ones can be had very reasonably, which I find makes them ideal to try many different versions.

Cheers,

SG

PenRx is no longer in business.

Hi SG

Too rigid or hard as nail nibs are not what I like. I prefer flexible or semiflexible fine or medium sized nibs because it allows me to write fast and comfortably. I also own a 1960 Parker Junior Aerometric which has a smooth fine nib and which is also made in France. I noticed that U.S.A made Parkers tend to be a little bit more stiff or much stiffer than their U.K or France made counterparts. Also french made parkers have 18ct nibs as compared to their usa and uk made counterparts that have 14ct nibs. My next purchase will be a söveran 1000 and why not another vac. But if I buy a vac it has to be flexible not too stiff. Same for other brands hard as nail nibs are a definite no for me.

regards

georges ;) :)

Edited by georges zaslavsky