Any reviews of the Pilot Petit1?

sobriquet

Hello Friends,

Some things are described as cheap and nasty, and more euphemistically as cheap and cheerful.

The Pilot Petit1 is a semi-disposable fountain pen available mainly in Japan but available online. It has replacement cartridges and I'm not certain whether these cartridges can be refilled (with syringe / eyedropper) as the feed system may require the particular ink Pilot supply.

Are there any reviews of this pen by current owners experienced with more traditional FPs?

I couldn't find any on the site, nor any substantial reviews online. Could anyone give their assessment of the Petit1?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ashland

• KCat

• kissing

• AlejoPlay

When I read your post I pulled out the orange inked one I was given many months ago. It had been sitting in a drawer un-used that entire time but still wrote, smoothly. It's a cute little pen and seems like a decent writer. :)

Edited by jbb

I'd also be interested to hear a review of these--they're cute, cheap, and if they work fairly well, it would be nice to have a bunch hanging around, in fun colors.

The blood jet is poetry, there is no stopping it.

When I read your post I pulled out the orange inked one I was given many months ago. It had been sitting in a drawer used that entire time but still wrote, smoothly. It's a cute little pen and seems like a decent writer. :)

Well, mine isn't Orange but works the same. They use a special cartridge. I don't think a standard Pilot cartridge fits. But, I can see no reason why a cartridge can't be topped up with a syringe.

Ron

"Adventure is just bad planning." -- Roald Amundsen

Pls forgive my poor English and hand writting... :doh:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p260/kgcniunl/Others/P1030662.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p260/kgcniunl/Others/P1030663.jpg

is the nib tipped or rolled?

I don't have one, but seen it in stores. IIRC it is tipped.

I've heard that it is hard to change colors because it uses something like in felt-tip markers to draw ink from cart to feed. I guess it would work if it's similar color (e.g. different blue ink for the pen that came with blue cart originally).

I've heard that it is hard to change colors because it uses something like in felt-tip markers to draw ink from cart to feed. I guess it would work if it's similar color (e.g. different blue ink for the pen that came with blue cart originally).

Thanks, Taki.

It looks a bit like the innards of the Parallel pen in that regard. I found a way to clean them thoroughly. But have forgotten what it was since I haven't used mine in a while. :P

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

The nib looks a lot like the nib on a Pilot Varsity or Vpen. Is it the same nib?

Ashland

Wow - maybe great minds do think alike. I was wondering the exact same thing upon looking at the pictures :lol:

They look very similar indeed, and it would make sense (in Pilot's point of view) if they were indeed the same nib.

Over the last week, I've been thinking that it would be nice to have a shorter version of the Vpen. I wonder if the Petit1 would be a good candidate for something quite similar.

I've considered this pen over the past year or more, but I don't want to be continuously yoked to Pilot-san's (Mr. Pilot's) proprietary cartridge system. How rotten it would be to really like a color only to find that it is either out of stock indefinitely or has been discontinued.

I have a few questions.

1. What are the dimensions of the pen--length, girth, & weight?

Edit: Weight: 0.30 oz (according to the Jetpens website)

2. Does the cap have a metal clip?

Edit: I've just looked at more pictures. It certainly looks like a plastic clip.

3. I know this has already been asked, but has anyone tried converting one into an eyedropper?

4. Does the barrel or body crack easily?

5. How similar is this pen to a Vpen? Kissing & I have already noted our belief that the nibs could be the same. What about the entire section or the way it sucks up the ink for use? My favorite feature of the Vpen is that it can go for weeks without use & immediately write beautifully (juicy line with no skipping).

Thank you,

Ashland

Edits to answer a few of my own questions.

Edited by Ashland

The Petit1 is tiny -

1. Dimensions: 3.5" uncapped, 4" capped, 5" posted. Girth: 1/2".

2. Plastic clip.

3. Eyedropper - no idea.

4. Also no idea about body quality... seems robust enough for a plastic pen.

5. Never seen a VPen.

But, it's a wet writer, with an M-equivalent nib. I have Blue-Black.

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

When I saw the picture (thank you!), I also thought the nib looked like a Varsity. Then I thought, "Ohmygod, is this a refillable Varsity?" I am still wondering. If it writes as well as a Varsity it is well worth looking into. Though, it is quite small.

FrankB, the Varsity is refillable, but I always leave that work to my engineer. Here are the instructions.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...63&hl=vpen&st=0

Phthalo, thank you so much for the information. Now get thee over to Woolies or Kmart & get yourself a Vpen. Then you can tell us how the two compare. :)

I think I'll head over to jpens.com & buy a couple of Petit1 pens myself.

Ashland

I don't think Woolies in Australia will have Vpens (at least not in Melbourne) - though I have seen them sold at Kmart and various newsagencies that have a more extensive pen range.

For the prices they go at Newsagencies, I don't think they're worth it, but Kmart often has them for cheap. I'll see if I can get my hands on some for you, Laura, next time I visit Kmart :)

Last year & the year before, Woolies in Sydney sold Vpens.

I got ripped off at an office supply store in Sydney's CBD. If Woolies doesn't have Vpens, definitely try Kmart.

Ashland

Last year & the year before, Woolies in Sydney sold Vpens.

Lucky Sydney dwellers <_<

Some friends of mine at Sydney were talking about having used cheap fountain pens from Woolworths. They must have been referring to Vpens :lol:

Nevertheless, I'm not a huge fan of the Vpen. Sure, they write nice and are roughly the same price as disposable rollerball pens. The fact that they're not designed to be refilled just puts me off :unsure: (And I had a very bad experience in attempting to refill them from the back side of the barrel :lol: It involved a power drill, my whole hand soaked in ink, stained clothing and a techincolour desk/wall :ph34r: :sick: ). I have high respect for those who can do things like refilling Vpens/Varsity's without making a huge mess :)

Edited by kissing