Monteverde Rose Gold FP

handlebar

I had the privilege of reviewing the Monteverde Black tie last week

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=23182

and now want to show off the Monteverde Rose Gold!!I purchased these pens within a few months of each other.Both were on sale making them a delightful bargain.

Without further ado...

APPEARANCE/FINISH--4 out of 5

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/rg31small.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/rg41small.jpg

The colours of this pen caught my eye the moment i saw the pen case!!! The copper coloured cap and bottom were beautiful!! made of heavier steel,they balance very well in the hand.The cap has an imprint of the Monteverde "M" and is well proportioned to the body.The centre is made of carbon fibre.

WEIGHT/SIZE--4 out of 5

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/rg51small.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/rg201small.jpg

This is most certainly one of the heaviest pens in my collection.I like the feel.It has that battleship feel,as if it were to drop nothing would damage it!!Posted it balances well but does have a bit of cap weight.I don't usually post pens so that won't affect me too much.This pen matches the same weight as the Black Tie.

NIB/Writing Performance--3.5 out of 5

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/rgnib1small.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/NC21small.jpg

Here is a close up of the nib.It is a standard steel iridium nib in a medium point that writes more like a fine. I will tell you that this pen just arrived back from warranty service at Monteverde.The pen constantly skipped and had problems starting.I tried every sort of ink and paper.Still nothing.So i sent it in at my shipping expense and also had to pay to have it shipped back.I wasn't thrilled at that since it was under a year old.But i decided i liked the colour too much to tell them to keep it.

So far after a few days,the nib has been writing flawlessly.But if you do buy one,look at the nib and check if it has a 1/4" black plastic nib holder.The old models have a short 1/8" holder and that was part of the problem.The feed system was too short.

It is a major issue in my opinion and seems to affect only this model of Monteverde Invincia(that i have heard).

The writing sample is on #20 Hammermill white using Noodler's Cayenne.

FILLING/INK System--3 out of 5

Typical converter system.Not much to say here.

COST/Value--5 out of 5

Good value for a heavy pen.I paid less than $50 and if it keeps writing,it will be worth it.Found this one at Office Depot.

OVERALL--3 out of 5

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/rg121small.jpg http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/rg131small.jpg

I would give it a higher rating but due to the nib issue,i cannot do so.Still,not a bad value.Now if Monteverde can fix the problems.I will conclude that the customer service was not as i desired.The shipping was fast and efficient but the communication between the person who was helping me was not very good.Only had two emails from her in 4 weeks.I sent 10 or so.Finally had to resort to calling long distance to get through.At least i have the pen back.

JD in Vancouver,Wa

Edited by handlebar

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handlebar

• Cloud

• Sabriste

• MYU

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I second the fact that starting, skipping and all other flow problems have arrisen from my Monteverde Invicia black tie. After poor performances, I sent it to Yafa for service, and it came back with a smaller nib, a feeds that sticks out of the pen, but with all the same problems, since then it stays in my drawer. I spent around 90$ canadian 2-3 years ago (75 US$). It was a steal.

I will say my performances weren't very good with same pen, different color.

Cheers

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

UPDATE:

After 3 days of being inked(converter filled) and letting it sit in my pen case,upside down and cap on(of course!),the pen has again refused to write.Tried a water start and converter tug.Nothing.My recommendation of this pen has changed.

Don't buy this pen!!

The other Monteverde ppens i have purchased write fine.But the Rose Gold seems to have major problems.And from what i hear,i'm not alone.

I sent an email back to Monteverde to take the next step(which according to the folks at Yafa)which would be to replace it.I really don't want to continue doing this so i has asked for another solution.

I will keep you up to date on their response.

JD

I repaired partly my monte verde. Instead of paying money for reparation without repairation. I open the nib unit. Took the feed out. Widened the channel for ink. And it works better then it ever has. Still problem with starting... but not with flowing anymore.

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

• 2 months later...

I have an Invincia in rose gold and I like it quite a bit. I keep a darkish red such as P.R. black cherry in it in the daily rotation and find it smooth and well balanced.

It is heavy, though; my wife calls it The Brute because of its weight.

Murdoch

Sometimes a technology reaches perfection and further development is just tinkering. The fountain pen is a good example of this.

Thank you for the heads up. A lovely looking pen nevertheless.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb

Thanks for the informative review, JD. That's so sad of the troubles that you mentioned and Cloud confirmed. Such a beautiful looking writing instrument. I too am taken by the copper look of the rose gold. Monteverde certainly made an aesthetically impressive pen.

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Thanks for this review. Reviews of pens that don't live up to expectations are very useful. Nice looking pen. If it were a good writer, I probably would have ordered one.

I have a rose gold as well and it is indeed a slow starter. At times I unscrew the section and give the converter a little turn to get the ink moving and then it'll flow. Put it down for awhile and it'll stop.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

• 1 month later...

Well, this is my first post here, so...greetings to all! I hope no one minds me dragging this topic up, but I was searching for one on this pen, so.... I just got this pen -- picked it out as a sort of graduation gift (just completed my Master's). I have a rather small hand but I love the feel and weight of this pen. It fits my hand perfectly.

I'm sorry to hear of the troubles others have had with this pen. I have yet to experience any problem with it -- the only thing being me with my extreme newbie-ness trying to figure out how to fill the cartridge converter (forgive my ignorance, but, is there a standard size or do different ones fit different pens?). But I love dipping my pen...I don't know if that's taboo (is it?), but I'm a hopeless romantic at heart and there's nothing quite like dipping a pen in ink. But anyway, mine has always written beautifully, no skipping or slowness. I'm thrilled with it, and hope mine isn't just the exception.

Anyway, I am now completely in love with fountain pens...and I'm glad to have found this site!

Sabriste

Welcome! Glad to hear you're having good results. I'm sure someone who has one of these will walk you through your converter filling.

I have small hands but love heavy pens too, so you're not alone.

Thanks! I took my pen to my dad and he helped me figure it out...I thought I was pushing the converter all the way down, but turns out I hadn't gotten it all the way on. It works beautifully now! :)