Pelikan M600

chemgeek

Pelikan M600

First Impressions--My experience with the M200 encouraged me to get a more flexible-nibbed Pelikan, and one that is slightly larger than the M200/400 series, which is a little small for large hands. Comes in a stout box, and, well, it has the unmistakable Pelikan look.

Appearance and Finish--I got mine in the blue/black stripe, and it of course comes with a black cap. I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the stripes, but they grow on you. Trimmed in gold plate, with two gold rings on the piston fill knob, a thick gold ring at the bottom of the cap, and a heavy metal gold plated trim piece at the top to house the distintinctive Pelikan clip and the Pelikan logo button on the top of the cap. There is also a gold ring at the bottom of the grip.

Design/Size/Weight--Despite being slightly larger than the M400, this is still a lightweight pen, 19 g (0.67 oz) fully loaded, remarkably just a shade lighter than the smaller Sailor 1911M. It is 4 15/16" unposted, a stout 6 1/8" posted, but a compact 5 1/2" capped. The cap posts securely, but the pen is large enough unposted to be comfortable even in medium-large hands. A quick 3/4 turn removes or secures the screw-on cap. Nice. The grip is tapered and flares at the bottom where it is terminated by a gold ring for a comfortable and secure grip.

Nib design and performance--I selected a fine nib to accommodate my typical writing tasks. The nib is an atrractive two-toned 14K gold, with the typical fine-finned feed. The nib lays down a fine but wet line about 0.45-0.50 mm wide, actually slightly narrower than my M200 fine nib. It is actually narrow enough to do fine writing work, whereas my Sailor 1911 M can be a little sloppy for very small, detailed writing. The nib is very smooth, and I would classify it as only slightly flexible. It is certainly more flexible than an M200, but not nearly as flexible as a Sailor 1911M. This nib will stand up to a heavier touch and has a huge sweet spot so it is not too fussy about writing angle.

Filling System--Uses the Pelikan piston fill, of course. The M600 holds what seems like gallons of ink. I would imagine I could take this on a 4-day business trip and not have to worry about running out of ink with the fine nib. Fills efficiently when only submerged past the breather hole on the nib. If held up to the light carefully, the ink level can be seen by looking through the semi-transparent "black" stripes on the barrel.

Cost/Value--Available for $215 from Richard Binder. Not inexpensive but a stout, attractive, everyday workhorse writer. It's always in my pen rotation, along with my trusty Sailor 1911M, and more recently joined by the Namiki Falcon.

Overall Opinion/Conclusion--I purchased this pen to be one of my primary writers. It had to be both attractive but highly functional and a pleasure to write with. It also had to be reasonably sized, yet lightweight, as I don't like heavy pens for extensive writing. The M600 succeeds on all counts, and is exactly what I was looking for. Enthusiastically recommended.

post-34-1169226797_thumb.jpg

Edited by chemgeek

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ebluegrass

• sehnsucht

• sonia_simone

• Philly Rider

Thanks for the review! Couldn't agree more. :)

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

Thanks for the review. I'm going to try out some Pelikans next week and you've reaffirmed my desire to purchase an M600.

Dean

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded how much he had learned in the last seven years.

--Mark Twain

Great review. I have the Blue/Black stripe in the M400. It is one of my favorite pens. Always in my rotation. Very dependable, looks great, and a joy to write with.

Bob

I've got the M600 Concorde and love the pen, and a transparent blue 600 on the way. The weight of Pelikans doesn't really jump until you get to the 800 because of the metal piston rod (I'm pretty sure that's what adds the weight) - in any case, the 800 is quite a bit weightier, though still not overly so in my estimation. It's great that you're happy with the pen. I love all of my Pelikans dearly. As for the question from vcowman, I wouldn't say the 800 and 1000 are better, though they are certainly better suited to fit certain people's hands. The only difference, other than the size and weight, is that the nib on the 800 and 1000 is 18k, rather than 14k, though some 600s come with 18k nibs (at least I'm pretty certain that the 750 is a 18k and the 585 is the 14k) - and I'm certain I've seen some 800s with 14k nibs - but honestly, I don't believe this makes a difference in the writing quality; but I guess I ought also say that I don't think that gold is necessarily superior to steel for writing performance (though others would disagree with me). In any case, I'm of the opinion that the better pen is the one that suits a given person's proclivities best. Thanks for the review!

You can't go wrong with a pelikan and the m600 is an outstanding pen for the money.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thanks for a good review.

The M-600 is a good size pen. I equate it to the Italian "standard" size pens. Mine has blue-black stripes as well and, yes, the color does grow on you.

I see the differences in size among the Souverain model pens as being in the physical proportions of the pens and in the size nibs. For me, different size nibs have a different feel when writing. The M-600 has its own particular feel, as does the 800 and 1000. The 1000 is so large, I describe my using it as "painting" my words on paper. The 600 size is a good "business" size pen and nib for effective daily use. I see the 1000 as being more of a fun pen for pesonal letters, journalling, etc. I don't think one size is "better" than another in this line. They are just diffferent, and I select my Pels for use depending both on the task and my mood.

There is some difference in weight among the models, too. All of my Pels are 10-years old or older. But, unless something has changed, the 400 and 600 have a plastic piston filler, while the 800 and 1000 have a brass filler. All the filling systems are very well made. The brass is obviously a bit heavier.

I have used my Pelikans for years without any problems. I hope your 600 treats you as well as mine has treated me.

I love my 3 M800s, 2 have custom nibs. One of them gets used every day. Pelikans rule......................... :D

Edited by jd50ae

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

:meow:

got my M600 90 minutes ago.

Love it already. and the size is exactly right. Why is is so darned more expensive than the M200!

Armchop

For me the 600 is the perfect size.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Excellent review of a very reliable pen! Enjoy!

Armchop, they cost more largely due to the two-toned gold nib, but also the material from which the pen is made is more costly iirc.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

• 2 weeks later...

great review. i just got an M200 and marveled at the feel of the nib. smooth! I also think that the size of the M200 is a bit small for long writing tasks so I am getting a Sailor 1911 and an M600 for everyday writing tasks.

As an FYI Fahrney's has the 605 (silver trim versus the gold of the 600) in Blue on special sale for $145

http://www.fahrneyspens.com/Item--i-36397-F.html

Looks enticing...how much bigger is the M605 compared to the M200? I am looking for something a bit longer since my hands would be more comfortable with a slightly bigger (but not heavier) pen.

The M600 might be just right for you then. It's somewhat longer, maybe a tiny skosh fatter but if so it's subtle (I'm peering at both of them right now), and no heavier as far as I can feel. It's the M800 that takes a jump in weight.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick