Shopping online

rattybad1

Over my Christmas break, I got into a fender-bender that was the other guy's fault, but I had to pay a deductible and get a rental car out of my own pocketbook. I'm expecting a reimbursement check next week, and have promised myself a couple pens to counteract the stress and aggravation of the whole situation. I know what I want to buy, but now I have to figure out "from where?". My only option, really, is to shop online—I live in a bleak hill town in western PA, and my semester starts this week so I'm hill town-bound until spring break.

I've bought off eBay, Penbid, WorldLux, Nibs.com (well, my sister did that for me, and she raved), and Pendemonium (awesome), and have been quite happy with all of them (except maybe the eBay one). Still, I'm reluctant to try new places; I visited Cajunpen.com and they have some good deals on the pens I want, but I don't know what their reputation is. Up 'til a few months ago, I shied away from any place I had to call to place my order, or that didn't have a "store" proper. I know Joon and Fahrneys are out there but I like to look around, the problem being I don't know how to discern what's good—or, more to the point, what isn't.

So I put it to you...where do you usually shop online ?

Edited by rattybad1

"Inside his cardboard box, Greg heated a dented can of Spaghetti-O's over a small fire made from discarded newspapers, then cracked open his last can of shoplifted generic beer to celebrate the 10th anniversary of his embarkation on a career as a freelance writer." --Lawrence Person

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marklavar

• shahrincamille

• rattybad1

• Hennypenny

hi,

www.oscarbraunpens.com don't just look on the web site. if you know the pen you want. call pam, daughter of oscar, and get the lowest price possible. she will mail the pen before receiving your check. she doesn't take credit cards.

www.swisherpens.com they recently opened a mortar and brick store. good prices.

www.peartreepens.com good service, limited number of brands, quick shipping, good communications.

cajun pens is reliable. this is from personal experience.

www.richardspens.com sells popular brands, good prices, excellent services.

www.fountainpenhospital.com brick and mortar store and on-line seller, their specials are very competively priced.

there are others, but it is late and my thinking is mushy.

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

I have had great experiences buying pens from Pear Tree Pens, Swisher Pens, Pendemonium, Pam Braun (OscarBraunPens.com) and Richard Binder.

I plan to live forever. So far, so good.

www.parkvillepen.com is also really good. I'd trust Dennis as much if not more than any other dealers out there. He's probably the best person I've bought from / pestered with questions.

Ben

Edited by Benjamin McFerret

Here are some of my favorites:

nibs.com

Nibmaister John Mottishaw and company. My favorite source for Omas pens. They also do Pelikan, Namiki, and Sailor. Great folks, great pens, and great service!

Peartree Pens

Our own James P provides a number of great pens & inks. Again a great person, and super service. James has a great ink sample program!

internetpens.net

Another FPN regular Winedoc is the go-to guy for Danitrio (and other) pens. I have gotten a number of nice Danitrio pens from him, and dealing with Kevin is always a pleasure.

pendemonium.com

My favorite source for paper and ink - big selection of both, plus a lot of intersting pens. Once again, great people and service.

Those are may favorites, but I have also had good experiences with penwa, World Lux, and Swisher Pens.

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

Wow, thanks for all the good replies so far! I've missed quite a few of these in my internet searches; I'll definitely give them a try.

"Inside his cardboard box, Greg heated a dented can of Spaghetti-O's over a small fire made from discarded newspapers, then cracked open his last can of shoplifted generic beer to celebrate the 10th anniversary of his embarkation on a career as a freelance writer." --Lawrence Person

I don't have a pen store near me either. In addition to vendors already mentioned, I've also had good experiences with:

www.penseller.com

www.pencity.com

www.avalonpens.com

www.wndpens.com

www.penhero.com

www.theinkflow.com

In fact, I've only ever had good experiences with ALL the on-line vendors I've dealt with, and they've been very helpful with questions, quirky requests, etc.

Happy shoppoing!

Petra

how about pengallery.com? has anyone ever shopped here?

Only as an Ebay transaction. Good service but the communication took a few days longer than I anticipated, but still, the shipping was super-fast via FedEx....

I am in the same boat with a lot of folks in that I have nothing like a pen shop anywhere near my home, so I must buy on line. I am doing nothing more than reinforcing what others have said, but I have had consistent good luck with Swisher Pens, Pendemonium, The Fountain Pen Domain (penseller.com), Parkville Pen, The Fountain Pen Hospital, Richardspens, and anything that Kevin Cheng comes up with. I think it is great that we have so many good vendors available to us.

Good luck.

I didn't see altmanluggage.com listed yet so here it is. I got a Pelikan M605 on closeout for $127 including shipping. Received it quickly with no probs. Actually, I haven't had any problems with any internet dealer so far.

Doug

how about pengallery.com? has anyone ever shopped here?

They have a nice brick & mortar shop here in Kuala Lumpur.

Excellent personalised service, helpful, accomodating and best of all no pushy hard-sell tactics. They usually don't open on Saturdays but they're willing to do so if given advanced notice. No obligations on your part to buy anything.

If you ever make it here to sunny, tropical Malaysia, PM me if you want to go to PenGallery. Right now till the end of the month they're having a sale with great discounts.

Disclaimer : I'm not affliated to PenGallery in any way, just a very satisfied customer :)

They have a nice brick & mortar shop here in Kuala Lumpur.

Excellent personalised service, helpful, accomodating and best of all no pushy hard-sell tactics.

Is Daniel Seow still there, do you know? I bought a Pelikan M400/K400 set from him a few years ago for $145, which I thought was terrific value. Very charming and helpful fellow.

---

Col

Col

Is Daniel Seow still there, do you know? I bought a Pelikan M400/K400 set from him a few years ago for $145, which I thought was terrific value. Very charming and helpful fellow.

Daniel Seow is indeed still there. I ordered an Aurora Optima on the run up to christmas and his name was on the invoice. Pen arrived in the UK four days later during the busiest postal time of the year.

Edited by adyf

When you know what pen you want, Oscar Brauns, already mentioned, has been fantastic. A newer site, that doesn't have all the brands, but I've found them very pleasant, is: http://www.apenloversparadise.com/

I've also found Swishers and Pendemonium great online sites.

John

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

---

Col

Yup, he's there. He's friend now and knows me by name :)

BTW, any of you have any experience with The Ink Flow? How's the service, and do they ship out promptly? They seem to have great deals there :)9

I've had very good experiences with Swisher for the past 4 yrs. and because of that, I get a 10% discount from them.

PenGallery are quick and they can have competitive prices.

Pen Hospital only the specials for their regular prices tend to be high, now, they have good service and they DO contact you by phone AND email.

Avalon pens left me hanging with a Conway Stewart; somebody called Susan (I think) was definately not a nice person to deal with. They never took responsability on a defective pen. :angry:

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg