Lamy Studio

J-san

Lamy Studio Review:

- Packaging -

The Studio arrives in an attractive corrugated black paperboard box with an embossed plastic "LAMY" logo on the front. Folding open the box reveals the pen , user manual, warranty info, and a cartridge of blue ink. A cartridge converter of the screw-type is included to allow the use of bottled inks.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o284/j3-san/Pen7.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o284/j3-san/Pen6.jpg

- Design, fit & finish -

The Studio reviewed is the black fountain pen with an extra-fine (EF) nib. This model is also available in Blue and a brushed stainless finish as well as in a ballpoint and rollerball form. The pen itself is devoid of any frills and the only markings on the black outer surface is the small silver Lamy logo printed alongside the clip near the top of the cap. The clip is probably the Studio's most defining feature, resembling a propeller made of polished stainless steel. It begins wide and flat at the top like a conventional clip, but then narrows as it progesses down and eventually ends like a rounded blade sticking out the side of the cap. I find the clip to be very attractive and it provides firm retention on a variety of pockets from blue jeans to a dress shirt. The rounded blade end lends itself well to being clipped to a thin shirt pocket with one hand. Overall, the pen weighs approx. 33g filled and measures 14cm long. Diameter is approx. 1.1cm at its widest point and 0.8cm at its narrowest. It feels solid with the right amount of heft to feel like you are holding a quality writing instrument.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o284/j3-san/Pen1.jpg

The barrel and cap appear to be made of metal and coated with a black finish that has a slightly grippy texture, not unlike that on some mobile phones like the Motorola PEBL and T-Mobile DASH. It provides a matte black finish that contrasts nicely with the shiny polished clip and plated ends. The Studio doesn't catch your eye immediately like other fancier pens, but it has a neat, professional air about it.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o284/j3-san/Pen5.jpg

The smooth grip section is polished to a mirror finish. It provides a fairly comfortable grip, but the shiny surface is a magnet for fingerprints and can be slippery. I found the pen to slide slightly while rapidly taking notes in class or if my hands were a little sweaty. The end of the grip near the nib and the posting end both have a recessed rim that secures the cap, providing a crisp audible "snick". Everything locks up tight and fittings are nice and flush with the outer surface.

- Nib and writing -

I prefer firmer nibs and the Studio's nib definately suits my taste. The EF nib gives very little under moderate pressure, providing a consistent fine line and makes carbon copies of good quality, though it won't match a good rollerball or ballpoint. The stainless nib is fairly compact and produces fine wet lines about 0.5mm wide on both horizontal and vertical strokes. Out of the box, the nib felt a little rough, but didn't catch on any of the papers I used. It smoothed out over the course of a fill and now writes very smoothly. Feed is reliable even after sitting idle for a while (like in a classroom setting listening to a lecture and taking notes). I find the firmness makes for a smoother feel when writing on multiple sheets like notebooks, but that's just me.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o284/j3-san/Pen2.jpg

- Filling -

The Studio includes a clear plastic screw-type converter for bottled ink and the pen is easily filled by sticking the nib into the well and turning the knob. In this manner, the converter tends to fill up to about 80% capacity leaving a small window between the piston and the ink. I've taken to refilling my pen using a 3cc syringe and a dulled 20ga. 1" needle to get the most mileage per fill. Of course, the Studio will accept Lamy's T10 ink cartridges if one prefers that route.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o284/j3-san/Pen3.jpg

- Final thoughts -

I am a fan of Lamy pens and the Studio is my favorite to date. It is an all-business fountain pen with only the features you need and little extra. Being a dentistry student, I spend many waking hours with a pen in hand taking notes, studying, filling out patient charts, etc. The Studio is a great workhorse of a pen that gives up little in the way of doing everything it was intended for and maintaining a clean appearance without excess clutter. I purchased one for $60USD on-line - not a bad price for a student on a budget. For the money, I felt like I got an excellent pen that will last me for years to come.

- jason

Jason's current rotation:

Lamy 2000 eyedropper

Parker '51' Vac

Sailor Pro Gear

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J-san

• drndrw

• wolf4

• rroossinck

Very nice review Jason! :)

Thanks for your opinion!

Radio Aktivitat

Fur dich und mich in All entsteht

Radio Aktivitat

Strahlt Wellen zum Empfangsgerat

Radio Aktivitat

Wenn's um unsere zukunft geht

Radio Aktivitat

Fur dich und mich in All entsteht

I just recently bought a Lamy Studio, but with stainless steel body. I bought it for $48 at oscarbraunpens.com. The unfortunate thing was the nib was scratchy. Sent it back to where I bought it from and got a new one back right away.

The nib is now very smooth just like a Safari. The things I do like about the Studio are the grip (non-slip), girth and balance. I have a wrist problem and the Studio makes it easy for me to write.

P51 demi, P51 full size, P reflex, Pilot VP blk carbon, M200 gray, M200 blk, 2 Pelikanos, 3 Lam Safaris, 1 Lam Studio SS.

Thanks for your review and excellent photos.

I've got a 2000 and another silver finish Lamy, both purchased in the 70's when I was in college and they are still with me. I expect your Lamy will do the same. Neat thing about these pens is that, unlike so many others, they blaze their own design trail. Like other of Lamy's designs, twenty years from now this will still look contemporary.

I also agree with your converter assessment; I also use a syringe with a 22ga needle.

Well done, Jason. Very nice review.

Go into further detail re: filling with the needle, if you would. Do you fill the converter the conventional way, and use the needle simply to top it off with the remaining 20%?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

The Studio includes a clear plastic screw-type converter for bottled ink and the pen is easily filled by sticking the nib into the well and turning the knob.  In this manner, the converter tends to fill up to about 80% capacity leaving a small window between the piston and the ink.  I've taken to refilling my pen using a 3cc syringe and a dulled 20ga. 1" needle to get the most mileage per fill.

I wonder if it would be easier to fill the pen in the normal way, then remove the converter, expel the air, and dip it in the inkwell to get the last bit of ink in?

Regarding filling the pen, I surmise the air bubble in the converter is due to the dead air space present in the feed prior to filling. When I use a syringe, I will dip the pen in the bottle and give the converter a couple twists to draw up just enough ink into the feed to displace the air. Then I pull off the converter and use the syringe to fill it up. I don't like to completely fill the converter, and then pull it off as it can get a little messy. Also, that makes it a little more difficult to coax the tiny air bubble near the screw to come up to the top so I can fill it.

N. McKay's idea would also work, but I find the screw pistons to have a little lag, whereas the syringes will give a full capacity fill everytime. That and I dislike having to dip the pen in the bottle - messy.

Jason's current rotation:

Lamy 2000 eyedropper

Parker '51' Vac

Sailor Pro Gear

• 1 month later...

Nice review Jason. We have several Lamy pens at home these days, alyhough no Lamy Studios. We love how ours look and they all work well.

DavidM1

Jason, thanks for the reviews. Like most people here I never get tired of hearing people's responses to their pens and viewing their photos.

SInce you like firm nibs, I wonder if you have every used a waterman nib?

I only ask because I find the Waterman Carene to have an amazingly smooth medium nib and would be interested in trying any pen which was that smooth?

I know you bought an XF nib on the studio, but I wonder if you might have a F or M on one of your other Lamy's that you could compare to a waterman carene nib?

Just curious, j

• 2 months later...

It retails for $70.00, but can be had for less. Try here.

James P.

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

Cool. I kind of doubt I will buy it, because I am trying to save up and my parents think I am messed up because I like pens so much and I am also trying to do some programming. But it is a good idea for a graduation present :P...

I received 1 Studio fountain pen with M nib as well as a rollerball as a gift a while ago. The M nib was too thick so I got a F for S$15(Singapore dollars) which was a bargain since the list price for F nib online is US$15.

Both pens work very well and I always get comments about how cool they look

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 10 months later...

Having three Lamys, I figured out how to fill the converter completely. First of all, don't wait till your totally out of ink. Point the nib up and twist the plunger all the way, this will accomplish two things. First it will push last of your ink into the collector, second it helps create a vacuum, which is usually a problem with these pens. Now your ready to dip it in and fill the converter up completely. Had to figure that out the hard way.

The Lamy Studio is a beauty and undoubtedly one of the best value versus cost pens around. When I was a student, a sturdy construction and a reliable nib were very much appreciated. Your review is very nice and accurate. I wonder, around how many pages per converter can you write? Thanks for sharing it.

The unfortunate thing was the nib was scratchy. Sent it back to where I bought it from and got a new one back right away.

The nib is now very smooth just like a Safari.

Had the same problem with my Studio. Did not use the pen for weeks but last Saturday I managed to walk into the only stationery shop in town and purchased a new nib (fortunately the same as Lamy Safari, so no problem with availability). This one is very smooth and I start liking the pen!

The odd experience was the answer I got when I asked for a nib for the Lamy Studio: "Do you have the pen with you? I have to see the nib." This was the owner of the shop himself! After me telling him that it is the Lamy Safari nib I am looking for he got me the nib....

The odd experience was the answer I got when I asked for a nib for the Lamy Studio: "Do you have the pen with you? I have to see the nib." This was the owner of the shop himself! After me telling him that it is the Lamy Safari nib I am looking for he got me the nib....

I don't have the pen but I've read here and heard from a store clerk that the Palladium version of the studio has a different nib that can't be exchanged with the Safari. That's probably why he was asking to see the pen.

Neill

• 7 months later...

This is a great review, and very helpful for my situation however I've got an additional question. I was considering the Studio vs. the 2000 Fountain Pens with an EF nib. Other than the nib being semi-hooded, are there large differences between these two pens in terms of quality, feel, or ease of writing?

Thanks in advance for your help.