First: Transcription of my AWFUL handwriting-

Sheaffer NoNonsense as Eyedropper

Please keep in mind that my handwriting has, in the past few months,

greatly improved, but it is still awful. This is a several years old Sheaffer

NoNonsense that has its body eye-dropped with Noodler's Black ink. It has

a medium steel ball-point (rather than italic) nib. The nib is generally stiff

but with sufficient pressure can offer some line variations: -------  ---------

The pen, after some use, has a very smooth nib. It has not leaked and I use

no sealant on the threads. Paper is Southworth Cotton.

Jesse

I use no sealant on the barrell for this. It does not leak. It writes with awesome smoothness. I paid about $5 for this pen a few years back. The screw on cap provides double protection against leakage. The paper is Southworth Connoisseur Collection 100% cotton 20 lb, which has very little show through and no bleeding.

Frankly, used as an eye dropper, this is perhaps the best value on the market, and if you can find one, you'll learn to love it. A good fountain pen can be pretty cheap. And this proves it.

Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid! My Deviant Art Page!

http://homepage.mac.com/jgribin/.Pictures/Sig4.png

Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.

The artwork in the sig was done for me by my best friend, Corvidophile, whose work is linked to the sig pic. Avatar done by my friend Flash.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pvdiamon

• Tricia

• R.ticle One

• georges zaslavsky

Thanks for the review and the writing sample, Jesse.

Those No-Nonsense pens are delightfully inexpensive. My wife bought one as a present for me, which also came with a bottle of Levenger Gemstone Green. I believe your pen looks like a marbled blue -- I've got the green.

You are right about the nib. Unbelievably smooth. I wondered about turning it into an eyedropper, but never got around to experimenting -- thanks for doing this.

My only dislike about this pen is that the threads on the body bug my fingers when I hold it -- though only slightly. I can live with it.

A pen that is very similar and only slightly better in my opinion is the Reform Bremen. It's a snap-on cap and the section has a more pronounced taper.

The No-Nonsense Viewpoints, the ones they made for the caligraphy sets, are ideal for ED conversion. They hold a lot of ink and you can see exactly how much you have left.

I found a set of three — black, blue and green — in a second-hand store a couple of months ago. These are the old-style without the rubberized grips. I filled each with the appropriate color ink, put a little silicone grease on the barrel threads just to make sure it wouldn't leak, and all is well.

The No-Nonsense pens remain the best cheap pen Sheaffer has ever made, especially the ones they still made in Fort Madison. Tough, reliable and a decent writer for the price.

Edited by randyholhut

No Nonsense Sheaffers (and Viewpoints) are great eyedropper candidates!

I have had no problem with leakage, but whenever I use the Viewpoint as an eyedropper and I look at the ink level, I get a bit worried about it leaking. It's purely psychological of course, sort of like being in a glass elevator :lol:

I'm so jealous! I have several of these pens and have tried to convert two of them to EDs. They don't leak, but they also don't write! :(

Great job.

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

• 5 months later...

These pens seem to have a had a variety of versions. I have one that came with an aerometric filler. Were those used originally? I have been using the standard Sheaffer cartridge in it which is preferable to me. But I am curious if the aerometric comes with a much older version of this pen? Does it make them a little more expensive on the current market?

John

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

Great review of a pen that I've looked at and wondered about before - oh, and you should know that even though you describe your handwriting as "awful", it's very legible to me! :D

R.ticle One

Interesting pen. I wouldn't be good for turning a kultur or a no nonsense to an eyedropper.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Ah man, don't worry about your writing, mine is shocking also! So I know how it feels lol. I have a really nice NoNonsense, I have the gold trim one lol, I really really like them, such a classic style. It'd be pretty cool if you could post a guide or something of the like of how to make one an eyedropper, or post links to reference info. I'm damned intrigued :D

Great review man!

"First come smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire" -- Roland Deschain, of Gilead

http://www.tomsblog.joes-place.co.uk/blog/