Hey, do you have a pen I could borrow?

eightstrings

How do you respond when someone asks to borrow a pen?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. How do you respond when someone asks to borrow a pen?

• I cringe, and reluctantly hand my fountain pen to the Bicmaster.
    • I lie, claiming I either don't have a pen or the one in my pocket is broken.
    • Still cringing, I hand the pen over with apology, instructions or disclaimer.
    • I keep a spare ball point (or other decoy) on hand in anticipation.
    • I either say no, or weasel out of the request some other way.

I don't know if this poll really makes sense because I have done all of the above at different times. For example, some little kid at church asks for my pen, I laugh and say no way (I know it's rude, but that's why I am at church in the first place). I would handle the situation differently with my boss in order to preserve things greater than my precious pen.

Typically, I keep a tiny little space pen in my briefcase for some forms and the occasional innocent request. Now that I think of it, this is one of my little secrets of happy fountain pen ownership.

So, in most situation, how do you react? If you regularly do something not mentioned above, I would like to hear about it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nihontochicken

• PenFan95

• Ink Stained Wretch

• Kalessin

I chose the ballpint option, but if the person really insists on using my fountain pen I simply say, "No." And that is that. B)

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

I always have either a BP or RB in the pocket with the FP, as there are surfaces that I won't use the FP. That's what I fork over when someone needs a pen. I've found many times that people don't want to write with the FP anyway.

I take a cue from Shatner's opossum in OVER THE HEDGE, and promptly die on the spot. Loudly, lingeringly, but without relinquishing my prized pens.

This will, nine times out of ten, cause the penless begger to wander off in vaguely humiliated confusion. Of course there's always that dangerous 1 who will guiltlessly take the time to rifle my pockets and take a pen...

Seriously, I use the old dodge of carrying one of those "other" pens.

Of course, if it's my wife, she flatly refuses to even touch a FP, so that situation's a snap. :)

Edited by D.R.Mabuse

Freelance Word Pusher, Societal Leech and Genial Bon Vivant

I say "Im the wrong person to ask for a pen" and then the person looks at me wierd and dosent ask another work before walking away. Even i dont know what my excuse means :lol:

I say "Im the wrong person to ask for a pen" and then the person looks at me wierd and dosent ask another work before walking away. Even i dont know what my excuse means :lol:

Hey - I like that one.

How about saying "Sure, if you'll lend me your watch...." :P

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

I keep a Fisher bullet Space Pen in my pocket for just such an emergency. It also works better on most charge slips than a fountain pen.

Larry

I only carry one pen with me, and use the "I don't have another" excuse. It's not very often someone begs me to use that one pen, especially when I'm currently use it.

Normally the client has a pen on hand. Well, being the client one does not wish to disappoint if they don't. I do apologize and ask if they know how to use a fountain pen. It doesn't come up to often and the really timid ones scurry off to find ANY other sort of writing utensil. Oh well, what is one to do? It is typically a fairly bullet proof snorkel I hand them. The last chap got my circa 1920 flex nibbed Sheaffer. He proceeded to use the side of the nib which wrote decidedly anyway springing the odd micro drop hither and nigh but, he managed his name on the document none the less. It's not like one of them is going to write a book with my pen afterall and they tend to be in a better command of where an alternate pen is after the experience.

Roger W.

What do you say when someone says 'hey, that's a cool calligraphy pen!'?

Before you judge someone walk a mile in their shoes. Then if you still judge them you will have a headstart and they will be barefoot.

When someone asks to borrow a pen, I find, they are usually in urgent need of it. They simply don't have the time or inclination to discuss the virtues of a fountain pen at that particular moment. For this purpose I always carry a ballpen, and I am on occasion in need of one myself -- for certain documents and receipts, etc. I pride myself on having on hand a nice ballpen to lend.

But be warned: the barbarians will abuse these just as easily! Recently, while I was working in Biltmore House, a guest at the front door asked hurriedly if he might borrow a pen to take a message. I am not asked for a pen very often, so I was eager to loan him my Dune Green Waterman Expert ballpen. (Now, I must admit that I did pause a moment, wondering if it might be a better idea for him just to ask at the front counter, where he no doubt would be given a cheap disposable pen. But I thought to myself, Now, you're being silly: just lend him your pen. So I did.)

No sooner had I lent this man my Waterman ballpen, when I heard a loud SMACK upon the vestibule's marble floor. Sure enough, I turned around to see the man picking up my pen, utterly unconcerned, and proceding to take down the message.

When he politely returned the pen to me, I noticed at once that the top beveled button had been ever-so-slightly "squashed" on one side.

Naturally, I was livid. I wanted to rush over to him and say, "Do you realize what you just did? Did it even occur to you that you just damaged the pen I was kind enough to loan you? Do you know how much that pen cost? How do you plan to pay me for a new one?" Of course, as I value my position, I could not say anything to him. Also, a gentleman must avoid such outbursts.

Moral of the story? This pen is now officially broken in as my lending pen. Because it is no longer perfect, I have no qualms about lending it. I'm sure no one notices its slight imperfection; au contraire, they probably think, Well, what a nice pen! -- which, of course, is my hope. I am reminded about a guitar manual I read once, all about how one might avoid blemishing one's instrument. The author concluded that, yes, one could take these preventative measures or one could simply place the guitar on the floor and drop one's keys on the top, therefore insuring that one would never worry about minor dings and dents in the future.

I do not lend my fountain pen.

--Bradley

Edited by Bradley
http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/Bradley_064/th_Bradleyssignature.jpg

I hand over the pen with cautionary instructions. As the borrower stands in momentary bewilderment or awe at the sight of the nib, I usually explain where the pen was made and how the filling mechanism works, how old it is, etc. The person is usually delighted and honored that I've allowed them to use such a wonderful relic ;) of bygone days. I then try to explain that there are many fountain pen users and collectors worldwide and that dozens of companies still produce fountain pens today. Hey, it can't hurt to proselytize a bit. Converts needed, no?

How about saying "Sure, if you'll lend me your watch...." :P

That's a good answer!!! :D

I learned that I don't lend my pens EXCEPT to someone who uses FP that you trust -my partner. B)

Now, if I have a BP, and a cheap one, I'll let them have it.

"Before you learn to say yes, you have to learn to say no".

:angry:

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have a drug company BP in my pocket for precisely such occasions.

"The person who takes the banal and ordinary and illuminates it in a new way can terrify. We do not want our ideas changed. We feel threatened by such demands. 'I already know the important things!' we say. Then Changer comes and throws our old ideas away."

--Frank Herbert; Chapterhouse: Dune

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi