Pilot Fermo

Ziggy

I decided to go back to my Cross fountain pen after many years but it had not survived well and caused me 'inky' finger everytime I wrote with it. Anyway long story short I wanted to get a MB, but after making this decision I started to see them everywhere.

For some reason I happened upon this site and got intriged by the VP, for me though the push button styling did not do it and then I saw the Fermo.....

Styling - classic pen, mines in black with the silver rhodium trim. Just looks smart, not flashy.

Handling - I had read that the pen was heavy, and I was worried that it would not be comfortable. But the balance is perfect, admittedly I just use it to write meeting notes but it is comfortable. Size, again comfortable and the pen clip just fits between thumb and forefinger. The clip is profiled so it feels comfortable.

Operation - yes at a push you could operate it one handed, but why would you the mechanism is smooth and a joy to operate. It just appeals to my engineering mind.

Nib - I have a medium and this writes just like my Cross fine, except wetter and smoother. I use R&K verdigris (this site is dangerous).

So I guess you could say I like the pen, different enough to be a conversation piece, but it is surprisingly functional.

Converter - too small, the only fault.

Would I buy it again - yes.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ziggy

• aunt rebecca

• saintsimon

• mholve

I guess I really don't see the advantage of the Fermo over the décimo -- they're the same except that you can't operate the Fermo easily with one hand. Which is why I love my décimo. :)

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/decimo.jpg

So, umm, am I just flat missing something about the Fermo?

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

aw richard,

this pen nut wants to own all the retractable pens.

i want a gaggle

a flock

a pod

of the most wonderful pens!

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

:bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1:

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

So, umm, am I just flat missing something about the Fermo?

I love the VP (and the décimo) but understand the appeal of the Fermo from an aesthetic viewpoint.. Overall the body is rather sleek and streamlined, but the pushbutton kind of throws it off... the Fermo approaches the VP/décimo in convenience, and overtakes it re: aesthetics. I believe this was the reason for the original poster's choice. For me, however, the convenience is enough to stick with the VP... Some day I would like to get a Fermo, though... it's the only twist-style safety pen I've seen that I'd actually use, based on aesthetic appeal.

-brian

You are absolutely right.

I love the concept of the retractable pen, but for me the pushbutton just doesn't quite look right. I guess it looks more like a ball point pen.

To me the Fermo looks more balanced as a fountaing pen and the twist mechanism is a joy. One handed operation is not a big deal for me.

Obviously the innards are the same and the nib is a joy to use.

I had a very quick test with a VP and I have to say that the waisting of the Fermo clip makes very little difference to the writing grip. That is to say I find my Fermo very comfortable to use but if you don't get on with the VP I doubt that you will get on with the Fermo.

In my first post I forgot to say a big thanks to all the contributors to the forum whose advice and opinions I read before making my purchase. I have a beautiful pen, more individual and as an engineer more appealing to me than I would have bought without your comments.

Thanks

I decided to go back to my Cross fountain pen after many years but it had not survived well and caused me 'inky' finger everytime I wrote with it. Anyway long story short I wanted to get a MB, but after making this decision I started to see them everywhere.

For some  reason I happened upon this site and got intriged by the VP, for me though the push button styling did not do it and then I saw the Fermo.....

Styling - classic pen, mines in black with the silver rhodium trim. Just looks smart, not flashy.

Handling - I had read that the pen was heavy, and I was worried that it would not be comfortable. But the balance is perfect, admittedly I just use it to write meeting notes but it is comfortable. Size, again comfortable and the pen clip just fits between thumb and forefinger. The clip is profiled so it feels comfortable.

Operation - yes at a push you could operate it one handed, but why would you the mechanism is smooth and a joy to operate. It just appeals to my engineering mind.

Nib - I have a medium and this writes just like my Cross fine, except wetter and smoother. I use R&K verdigris (this site is dangerous).

So I guess you could say I like the pen, different enough to be a conversation piece, but it is surprisingly functional.

Converter - too small, the only fault.

Would I buy it again - yes.

Ziggy,

Where did you purchase your Fermo?

Regards,

Eric

hi,

you can purchase the fermo from ujuku, he posts on e bay selling the decimos. that's one way of getting his e mail address. i believe his e mail address is on fpn under the topic"decimo." i am a luddite and i don't know how to access it.

i bought my fermo from richie at www.cyberpens.com. it cost $150.00 including shipping.

Edited by aunt rebecca

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

i bought my fermo from richie at www.cyberpens.com. it cost $150.00 including shipping.

That webpage is no longer active. I received a great Décimo two weeks ago, but I don't know, if Ritchie is still in business. :unsure:

I bought my Fermo from the aforementioned Ritchie at

www.cyberpens.co.uk

I got it wrong first time and went to the .com.

It did take a couple of weeks to deliver, as he orders from Japan, and his site was occassionally 'down for construction' but no complaints at all.

A question for other VP owners is I did my first refill today and changed from R&K Verdigris to PR Black Magic Blue, however the converter had ink on the outside of it.

Is this usual?

Rotring 600 looks like my old drawing pen!

A question for other VP owners is I did my first refill today and changed from R&K Verdigris to PR Black Magic Blue, however the converter had ink on the outside of it.

Is this usual?

Rotring 600 looks like my old drawing pen!

There shouldn't be any ink on the outside - though I've had that happen once. Wipe the outside of the nib assembly clean and make sure there's no ink inside the barrel/section part. There's a spring and small sleeve in there, just be careful wiping it out.

As for the 600, yeah - they're quite similar to the ol' mechanical clutch pencils. ;)

I bought my Fermo from the aforementioned Ritchie at

www.cyberpens.co.uk

Ah, sorry, I was talking about the co.uk site. It is down this month.

Hi Guys

The website is down at the moment whilst I carry out a comprehensive site update.

It will be re-launched early in the new year.

Happy holidays.

Richie

• 6 years later...

Hello

How does the Fermo age, after some years of use ?

Pilot Capless/VP Fermo F ; Aurora 88 F ; Mont Blanc Noblesse slim F ; Lamy Vista clear EF // Waiting for : TWSBI 580 EF