big pens

tzmcneill

Hi all:

I've got the itch for another pen. I've got a Dani Mikado in raw ebonite and a Stipula Etruria, any suggestions on another big pen (The Stipula is about the smallest pen I can handle comfortably). I prefer piston or eye-dropper fillers and like nibs that have a bit of flex to them. I've come across an Omas 360 magnum, at one of the nibmeister's shops, is this still made? I also prefer celluloid or other "warm" materials. Any ideas??

thanks,

tom.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marklavar

• Titivillus

• TheNobleSavage

• Chris C

Hi all:

I've got the itch for another pen. I've got a Dani Mikado in raw ebonite and a Stipula Etruria, any suggestions on another big pen (The Stipula is about the smallest pen I can handle comfortably). I prefer piston or eye-dropper fillers and like nibs that have a bit of flex to them. I've come across an Omas 360 magnum, at one of the nibmeister's shops, is this still made? I also prefer celluloid or other "warm" materials. Any ideas??

thanks,

tom.

The Delta Fellini is a large cigar shaped pen that is warm to the touch and neat with the top like a typewriter key and a film strip engraved in the side. I just so happen to have one if you're interested :lol:

K

Consider the Marlen Basilea: a big, beefy and distinctive pen with a great nib and solid silver fittings.

Also a Pelikan M1000; the pen is vast, and I'm told the nib is more flexy than any other Pelikan.

If you find a rare Sailor 'Realo' piston filler (one was offered in the Marketplace recently!) or look for a regular Sailor 'King of Pen' (KoP) in black or red/black ebonite (c/c), you get a large pen in excellent quality.

A Tibaldi 'Impero' is a beautiful, oversized celluloid piston filler.

The Laban 'Mento' is a large c/c filler.

Edited by saintsimon

If you find a rare Sailor 'Realo' piston filler (one was offered in the Marketplace recently!) or look for a regular Sailor 'King of Pen' (KoP) in black or red/black ebonite (c/c), you get a large pen in excellent quality.

And the Iride isn't a tiny pen as well :lol:

Hell, if you are looking for a big pen, why don't you look into the Genkai? I too have a thing for super oversized pen and the Danitrio Genkai seems to satisfy that need for me!!! You can buy them in the raw ebonite or the urushi/maki-e styles. Mine is in the wine colored tamenuri urushi and I absolutely love it!!! Either one you choose, you will enjoy the same sized nib as the Mikado and a larger capacity eyedropper. This is one of the largest pens currently in production. There is another larger one, the Conway Stewart Great Exhibition.

Other Pens to consider that I own that fulfill the craving for OS pens are:

MB149- Piston Filler

Pelikan M1000- Piston Filler

Conway Stewart Churchill- Lever filler or Cartridge/Converter

Delta Dolce Vita OS- Cartridge/Converter/Eyedropper

Bexley Prometheus- Piston Filler

OMAS 360- Piston Filler

Sailor King of Pen in woodgrain ebonite- Cartridge/Converter

Laban Kaiser and Mento- Cartridge/Converter

DaniTrio- Genkai- Eyedropper

OMAS Ogiva- Piston Filler (may not be wide but it is long)

Hope this helps!!

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

The Realo is only available in the Togi nib, which is very broad. Not for me, unfortunately.

I think Classic Pens still has some Sailor CP7s for sale at knockdown prices. These are beautiful sterling silver pens in the type '80' style, larger than the 1911 large size.

Hi all:

thanks,

tom.

My advice:

Delta Dolcevita Oversize

Conway Stewart Churchill

Visconti Opera Master

Omas Paragon Large Size (2006 model)

MB 149

Sailor 'King of Pen'

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these - they are all excellent writers. Like you I also like large pens; my smallest pen is a Sheaffer Legacy.

I prefer piston or eye-dropper fillers and like nibs that have a bit of flex to them.

You might consider a Pelikan M1000 with a custom flex & flow-to-taste nib from Mr. Binder.

YMMV

I think the Bexley Prometheus will meet your needs. It is big, and is made of celloid that is warm to the touch, has a piston filling mechanism, and a nib that can be made flexy. I purchased one with a modified nib almost a year back, and I have been very pleased. Look them up on Richard Binder's site - he has a few nice pictures posted.

The Prometheus is an interesting pen, but too highly priced to compete in a market where more established brands dominate. And the Sheaffer Legacy is a medium-large pen rather than a true oversize.

As much as I am a fan of the Bexley Prometheus and they are no longer made, unfortunately, I think the biggest problem with this pen was the price, as Mark said!! I was lucky to get the Prometheus at a rock bottom price because it was dipped once at Swisher Pens. It is a fantastic pen and the proces are dropping, but not at the point where the average consumer would say it would be a steal.

As for as the materials go on the Prometheus, I am almost 100% sure that it was made out of acrylic resin, not Celluloid.

Regardless, I love my Prometheus and it is one of my favorites!!

BTW, The large nib on the Prometheus is interchangeable with the Danitrio Mikado and Genkai pens along with the Delta Dolce Vita Oversize pen's nibs.

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

If you really got the money, Faber Castell makes some quite big pens too:

Pen of the year! and E - motion - but I don't know about the flex though, german nibs can be like nails.

regards

Henrik

Edited by Henrik

If you really got the money, Faber Castell makes some quite big pens too:

Pen of the year! and E - motion - but I don't know about the flex though, german nibs can be like nails.

regards

Henrik

At $1,800 I think I'll give the 'pen of the year' a miss. Thanks.