Best writer for < $50?

kamagong

I have two fountain pens. My first was a Pilot Knight. It's a great pen--beautiful, inexpensive, and best of all, a good writer. It is such a pleasure writing with this pen that I soon decided to expand my FP experience and try other brands. This lead me to the Danitrio Tactical Pen. I first saw an article on it in an online magazine, I think it's called Stylophileonline or something and I was struck by its good looks. I was lucky enough to find a FPNer willing to sell his. When I first received it I was ecstatic as it is even more stunning than its pictures. My experience with this pen isn't as positive as my experience with the Pilot Knight was. Although I love the bigger ink capacity, it is not as great a writer, which is the raison d'etre of any writing instrument. Which brings me to the subject of this thread--which pens, if any, in the sub-$50 range write as well as the Pilot Knight?

Thanks for any and all help.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• brucered

• Edwaroth

• obmike

I haven't tried the Pilot Knight, but I have lots of good writers that were under $50:

- Lamy Safari / Vista ($25)

- Rotring 600 ($40)

- Vintage Parker "51" ($45)

- Several vintage Esterbrook "J" pens ($10-30 depending on condition and repairs)

- Vintage Sheaffer Snorkel ($20-30)

If I had to pick the best writer it would either be the Snorkel or the "51", although both are very hard nibs. If you want some flexibility you'll need to look elsewhere.

Michael Moncur

The under $50 pens I've liked so far were Lamay Safari, Waterman Philias, Hero 616, Old model Hero 330, Rotring Core, Kaweco Sport, Wality 69L, Hero 257, Penatia Madison, Reform Bremmen, and Pelakano. YMMV

YMMV

Many of the pens I own fit your price point. :)

I have mixed feelings about my medium nib rOtring 600 -- seems scritchy to me sometimes.

On the other hand, I'm over the moon about my medium nib Lamy Al-Star (aluminum Safari) and my fine nib Waterman Phileas. I've also been very pleased with my Haolilai 601F and 801F (both medium nibs).

The Duke 2017 writes nicely, but the line is too broad for my taste.

I also echo mmoncur's recommendation of Esterbrook Js. With a good nib, they're an absolute joy to use, and not at all expensive.

D'oh! How could I forget the $33 pen/Tactical Carry II?! Very smooth writers, putting down very wet lines. They generally put down a line that's a little broader than I like, but they're so smooth that I don't mind.

Don M.

[edited to add comments about the $33 pen]

Edited by dwmatteson

Too many to write them all down.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

There are plenty of great writers for less than $50. I'll name a few that I own and highly recommend...

Pelikan M150 ~ $45

Waterman Phileas ~ $35

Esterbrook J Series with a Master Point 9xxx nib ~ $15 to $35

Pilot 78G ~ $20 to $25

Cross Solo ~ $15 to $20

Edited by girlieg33k

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

With some searching you should be able to find a Pelikan M200 for under 50. This pen is usually the default answer for can't go wrong, ultra reliable first pen with some style. Bonuses are the interchangeable nibs, light weight, and the piston filler. I just got an R200 in the blue marble for a friend, and it's very sharp looking. Perhaps even better than my amber, black, and burgundy 200s.

A note about your Danitrio: I would seek out a nibmeister such as Richard Binder (I think Dillo and DWL will do nibs too). With so much praise for those pens, I've no doubt that some quick nib work could turn it into a better writer than your pilot.

Edited by æon

I'm a Pilot Knight fan too, and I have to say - they sure are reliable and beautiful writers :lol:

For <$50, I would also recommend the

-Hero100 (watch out for quality control issues though - make sure your seller is guaranteeing satisfaction)

http://www.pw-akkerman.nl/merken/Hero/DSCN6940_Hero_100_full_bew.jpg

-Parker Frontier (The F nibs are usually better luck than the M's)

http://www.arena.com.pl/images/FP14.jpg

-Inoxcrom fountain pens (available in many brick/mortar shops at good prices. swisherpens.com also has a few models for sale)

http://www.skripta-paris.com/img/articles/inoxcrom/thumbnails/arenap.jpg

-As others have suggested, a Lamy Safari writes well...though a bit too dry for my liking.

http://www.coolhunting.com/giftguide/images/lamy_safari.jpg

-Rotrings may feel similar to the Pilot Knight as they're quite stiff. I have found the 600/Newton a bit too dry for my liking. Perhaps a Rotring Core? (if you don't mind its fat, plasticy look :unsure: )

http://i1.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/65/4d/7e_1_sbl.JPG

-Pelikan M150s are great pens for their price, and come with a nice piston filler. However - It may be too lightweighted to be comfortable for long periods or writing.

http://image.lotte.com/lotte/images/goods/009003001/7558844_p.jpg

Are you interested in Italic nibs at all? They are quite fun to write with, and once you get used to it, you can do some very neat/fanciful writing. If you like the Pilot Knight so much, perhaps you could get another one, except this time with a custom Italic nib. (It just so happens I found one on pendemonium while I was looking over their italic pens: http://pendemonium.com/pens_italic.htm )

http://pendemonium.com/images/pens/italics/nam_knight_silver.gif

*no affiliations. just a happy browser/customer*

Edited by kissing

I don't have a Pilot Knight, but I see that that's not stopping others from chiming in.

All of my pens are under $50. Besides the Waterman Phileas suggested by others I would also venture to suggest that if you're not worried about stylishness you could consider a Pelikano Jr., which is a school pen that I've found to write beautifully. I have several of them and they all are great writing pens.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Pelikan GO! (if you can find one)

the Danitrio RB to fountain pen conversions

Hero 100

Wing Sung (also made in the Hero factory) 237

not an exhaustive list

French

Another vote for the Lamy Safari. You could also look at the Parker Sonnets with steel nibs. They show up on eBay for under $50. Some of the Chinese pens are quite nice, and well under $50. My favorites are the Hero 110, and Hero 82-1. I bought them from isellpens.com, and am a very satisfied customer.

I suggest the marketplace and to get a better pen either new or use for a similar price. There are many wonders on the marketplace!

If not, maybe one of winedocs pen, a pelikan M200 used. They get rave reviews.

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

For under $50, you can get a wonderful vintage pen. For moderns, I like the Safari, Vista, etc. and the $27 pen. I think the Danitrio is my favorite in that price range.

Kamagong-- Try putting a different ink in your pen. I find the pen writes differently with different inks. My 2 write great with Waterman Florida Blue.

my votes go to:

Pilot Knight

Lamy Al-Star/Safari

Pelikan M200

Waterman Phileas

Parker 45

Hero 100

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

i'll add another vote for the lamy safari. it is really the pen that got me started on this. i kept buying pens and kept going back to the safari. another new pen for a few bucks: if you have a home goods store near you, they have the cross atx for about $15. its always fun to write with an older pen that has been around for 50 years. the esterbrook that was mentioned is good. an older sheaffer would work. my top pick would be a lamy safari.

Waterman Phileas

Wality Piston-fill

Vintage Esterbrook J, nicely restored

Recent Vintage Sheaffer Touchdown, Imperial, No Nonsense, School Pen

Parker 41, 21, 51 Special (hard to find a working "51" under $50

Lamay Safari

Rotring 600

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Hands down with everybody left behind is the SHEAFFER TARGA.Not just for the price range but in general this is a WONDERFUL pen and a fantastic writer.

Respect to all

Cross Solo ~ $15 to $20

Absolutely. My two Solos put to shame several of my more expensive pens. I have to say that here in France I've seen Solos going to Ebay for 40 euros, more than 50 dollars!!!!! :o

I also agree with goodguy when he mention the Targa, a pen that reached the level of 'classic' already, a superlative writer not to mention its beauty.

Two great pens.

The problem here is that is not easy to find a Solo or a Targa lying around in a shop anymore. Some patience is required to find them. Once you find one of them... ah, happiness...

Of the pens you can find everywhere, I must mention the Parker Frontier. A workhorse, runs fine with almost any inks you put in it, has a nice size.

Here's a thought: A Lamy Safari / Vista / Al-Star ($25-30), a converter ($5), and an alternate size nib ($15). I just bought an XF for my Al-Star (already have an M and an F) and now I have a pen for all seasons. The nibs are smooth, but stiff, though. Just a warning if you like springier stuff.

Doug