Looking for a seriously heavy pen

mdg137

Ive decided to reward myself for receiving a job offer--(after I accept it of course)

My tastes run to metal pens, with no gold, or gold color accents, and Im trying to find something with substantial weight. Heavier than my MB 146 LeGrande stainless.

EF nib availability a plus, but I can always have it ground down anyway--

Im open to any suggestions, price range below $900.00ish.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wspohn

• marklavar

• mdg137

• amh210

Top Posters In This Topic

A Dupont Orpheo is the right pen for you. Among the standard models the midnight blue with beautiful Chinese lacquer and platinum accents is my favorite. It retails for as low as $550.

Beautiful heavy full-metal pen made with the best materials. The nibs are the smoothest I've ever tried.

Its not necessarily a "power" pen Im looking for, I honestly like the heft, and tactile aspects of a heavy pen.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming!

OK, then look at the Waterman Edson. Big handsome stiff nibbed beast and available in translucent plastic barrel or sterling.

http://www.penwa.com/waterman/images/11001.jpg

http://i12.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/7a/3b/7502_1.JPG

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

The edson's a great pen, though I wouldn't say it is that heavy. Big it is. Even when it's not in rotation, it can double as a walking stick. :doh:

Ive decided to reward myself for receiving a job offer--(after I accept it of course)

My tastes run to metal pens, with no gold, or gold color accents, and Im trying to find something with substantial weight. Heavier than my MB 146 LeGrande stainless.

EF nib availability a plus, but I can always have it ground down anyway--

Im open to any suggestions, price range below $900.00ish.

Any thoughts?

My suggestion: a Krone Blue Gold. If you hunt around you can find one for $900, though it retails at over $2,000. I have one and it's a beast of a pen - very hefty! Alternatively, go for an Omas Imagination, in sterling silver - another beast!! :lol:

You know, if you really want a nice sterling silver pen, you aren't going to do much better than a Classic Pens model. Contact them as they are selling off some old stock - you can buy a brand new pen with all boxes and literature for around $900 instead of up to double that.

Classic

They are selling remaining stocks of several later models in the CP series and you won't get much more impressive and weighty than those!

Would this do it for you.....

http://classicpensinc.com/store/images/pens/atlantic_full.jpg

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

I agree that the Edson is a large pen, and, for me, quite comfortable. Buy I also do not feel it is particularly heavy. A Dupont Orpheo is rather heavy, and a nice, smooth writing pen. Every time I use my Orpheo, I am enthralled with the authoritative "snap" when I close the slip cap.

There is a recent announcement in the "Marketplace" that Diplomat pens are being imported to the U. S. again. I have a couple Diplomat pens that are lacquer over metal and they are as heavy as my Orpheo, maybe heavier. They are apparently now available with gold or stainless nibs, and with the gold nib cost under $200. All of my Diplomat pens have been excellent, fun writers, even with the generic stainless M nib. Unless there have been substantial changes in their manufactuer, they should remain a viable option at moderate cost for lovers of heavy pens.

mdq,

The pen for you is a Waterman Exception! They are substantial, hefty, beautiful, reliable and come in black lacquer with platinum trim. They also have the new all-sterling silver version, but I don't know if it's heavier or lighter than the lacquer version.

I like heavy pens too, and the Exception is the heaviest one in my collection.

:)

Petra

mdq,

The pen for you is a Waterman Exception! They are substantial, hefty, beautiful, reliable and come in black lacquer with platinum trim. They also have the new all-sterling silver version, but I don't know if it's heavier or lighter than the lacquer version.

I like heavy pens too, and the Exception is the heaviest one in my collection.

:)

Petra

I have the Exception in sterling and it's not really heavier than the others. Lovely pen, though! :)

I agree with the poster that mentioned Classic Pens - the CP5 Duofolds are stunning pens - and heavy too!

I also suggest a Yard-o-Led Viceroy Grand. Another beautiful silver pen.

For a pen at a (slightly) more everyday price, you might consider a Rotring Initial (the all-metal one, not the one with the plastic on the barrel). Feels like it weighs about six pounds, but nicely balanced.

For a pen at a (slightly) more everyday price, you might consider a Rotring Initial (the all-metal one, not the one with the plastic on the barrel). Feels like it weighs about six pounds, but nicely balanced.

If you decide that you want a Rotring Initial, let me know. I have one that I don't use that I would sell to you. You might also consider the Sheaffer Legacy 2.

I find Duke pens to be way to heavy to be comfortable for me. If you want a heavy pen that looks decent and can be tweaked into a decent writer, Duke may be your ticket.

Importantly, you can get as many as 30 of them for $900!

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

The Visconti Opera Club is a big, heavy pen. It comes with a crystal inkwell and is in your price range. The new Omas Paragon is also a heavy pen and writes extremely well. Finally, the DuPont 007 pen is an extremely cool-looking pen -- it's built on the Orpheo but it's black with gray stripes. It's got a wonderful heft.

I have a Grayson Tighe (the Titanium) and it is a wonderfully heavy pen. It is a smooth writer and I recommend it.

I do not have a Michel Perchin, but had a chance to play around with one recently -- it also had a nice heft to it.

Note that I am not associated with either penmaker or any retailer.

Good luck.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.--Groucho Marx

You never want a serious crisis to go to waste.--President Obama's Chief of Staff

The heaviest pen I ever had was winedocs 27$ pen.

It had a medium nib, but that could be changed. It had an indestructible feeling to it.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=18073

http://www.stylophilesonline.com/06-05/06alum.htm

It's not very expensive. But you could have it renibbed with some specialty nib!

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com