What is your favorite pen 'brand'

Hawk

Which pen company is your favorite?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Which pen company is your favorite?

• Esterbrook
    • Lamy
    • Mont blanc
    • Parker
    • Pelikan
    • Rotring
    • Sheaffer
    • Waterman
    • Eversharp
    • Other

This poll is for pen companies or manufactures only, not for models of these companies.

Say you happen to like a Parker 61 or 21, forget the model entirely, and just say Parker if that is your all time favorite company from all other companies. It is not about model but manufactures.

If you like more that one manufacture pick only the one you that is more important to you, or you like better than the second choice.

The purpose of this poll is to find which companies should receive, or deserve a spot in the list of 'Brand Focus group'. Meaning based on popularity of the group members by fair votes. (The poll list was taken from ebay listings of pens.) Hawk

Edited by Hawk

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hawk

• kissing

• DavidM1

• Jorj

Difficult choice. Very difficult :doh:

I chose Parker after looking at a Sonnet that was lying around on my desk, and made me remember how sentimental I am towards them.

:lol:

ps: Brand Focus isn't merely a popularity contest though ;) There are other things to consider such as

-Will it balance the traffic that goes into Writing Instruments and Brand Focus

-Can we find Moderators for that forum whom we can trust?

-Will it cause conflicts?

etc etc etc ;)

Still...fun poll :lol:

Edited by kissing

Difficult choice. Very difficult :doh:

I chose Parker after looking at a Sonnet that was lying around on my desk, and made me remember how sentimental I am towards them.

:lol:

ps: Brand Focus isn't merely a popularity contest though ;) There are other things to consider such as

-Will it balance the traffic that goes into Writing Instruments and Brand Focus

-Can we find Moderators for that forum whom we can trust?

-Will it cause conflicts?

etc etc etc ;)

Still...fun poll :lol:

All good questions, therefore ones that should be answered, but not by me.

I can only go by my feelings, all I know is that when I arrived at the 'Brand Focus' section what I was looking for simply wasn't there.

I am certain this has happened to others, maybe we need another poll to answer that particular question, but I will leave that to someone else.

Hawk

I chose Lamy because the brand has such a clear focus on what it does and does it so well. They are not particularly hung up on "heritage" or luxury but relish finding new design ideas that have functional and aesthetic zip. My wife now has three Lamys and none are FPs. She uses a steel biro/ pencil for her filofax, an ingenious 2000 series multi-pen for marking students' work and a 2000 pencil for music scores. All are immensely satisfing to hold and to use.

My 2000 FP has been back to Heidelberg twice. First for repair to some nib damage it sustained and then for a nib change for better flow. Lamy covered their own postage costs, completed the work gratis and sent emails that were prompt and obliging. This is my kind of brand.

DavidM1

i had it down between waterman and parker, just for the duofold and eyedroppers on the parker side, and the eyedroppers on the waterman. I guess im more of a waterman guy...

I picked Pelikan because I have never felt let down by their pens or Chartpak's service. I have owned several "better" (pronounced more expensive) pens but I always like my Pelikans more. In my opinion/experience, Pels work well, feel comfortable, and offer a lot of "bang for the buck."

If I were a vintage collector, I would probably like Eversharp the best because I like the old advertisments and the aesthetics of several of their pens.

Ben

Edited by Benjamin McFerret

This poll is for pen companies or manufactures only, not for models of these companies.

Say you happen to like a Parker 61 or 21, forget the model entirely, and just say Parker if that is your all time favorite company from all other companies. It is not about model but manufactures.

If you like more that one manufacture pick only the one you that is more important to you, or you like better than the second choice.

The purpose of this poll is to find which companies should receive, or deserve a spot in the list of 'Brand Focus group'. Meaning based on popularity of the group members by fair votes. (The poll list was taken from ebay listings of pens.) Hawk

I'd like to remind everyone about another site that splintered their brand forums into I think a dozen or more subforums. If you check around you will see that the site isn't in existance anymore ( Ramblins Snail). I don't know if that is the reason for the demise but I don't know if the traffic for the subforums helped.

I guess I am pulling for an inclusive place to talk about pens not exclusive forums to talk just about one particular brand. So we are FPN not the Parker forum, Waterman forum... who happen to reside in FPN.

Kurt H, not in association with FPN.

I guess I am pulling for an inclusive place to talk about pens not exclusive forums to talk just about one particular brand.

I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. My earlier post about Lamy was merely an appreciation of the brand rather than nomination for a forum. Lamy is a good example of a brand that wouldn't work well as a brand forum - not enough FPs really. I must admit, I didn't notice the "brand forum" question in the topic. I would rather leave the choice to administrators who know FPN well. :)

DavidM1

All brand-focus-forum-ing aside, I voted Lamy. I was a bit torn between Lamy and Namiki/Pilot, but Namiki/Pilot was not on the list, and I just couldn't bring myself to vote 'other.' Well my reasons are as follows...

Namiki has a lot of innovation going on with that VP. I use this pen for taking notes every day, and I can't imagine taking notes with anything else. Well, okay, occasionally I do use something else, but my VP is the favorite because of the convenience. Also, the Pilot pens that I've used just have very inspiring writing qualities, I don't know why. It could be because they're kind of springy, but I don't really care for spring or flex. It could just be because they always write right. Whatever it is, they just... have some soul to them.

Lamy, on the other hand, also has produced very good writers in my opinion, but they also got the other half of the equation right - aesthetics. Their modern sense of design is just stunning, and makes me more loyal to the brand than I am to any other. I have not seen such a keen sense of industrial design from any other pen company to date. Yes, I admit, I am a whore to aesthetics... I'll take a supersize form with a side of function any day... and suffer for it later. But ultimately, Lamy hasn't disappointed on either front - they have given me some very functional art.

Well thanks for the distraction, now I have a term paper to finish. Grmbl.

-brian

PS, even if I liked the Graphyscaf (which I don't), I think that's a bit much to suffer through :)

PPS, if you like the Graphyscaf... well... sorry if I insulted you :unsure:

I voted for Lamy for the box of nibs for the Safari at my local store. You get to choose the size and the finish and they fit to your pen! Voilà!

I got a Lamy Vista recently with a 1.1 Italic nib and no fuss writing pleasure.

Visit my food blog

Foodie Topography

Easy PARKER.

I love Parker mostly its pens from the 50s-70s.

I love the 51,61.VP,75,65.

Sheaffer comes in close second but Parker is No. 1

Respect to all

I guess I am pulling for an inclusive place to talk about pens not exclusive forums to talk just about one particular brand. So we are FPN not the Parker forum, Waterman forum... who happen to reside in FPN.

Kurt H, not in association with FPN.

From that point of view then for members we should offer the best service for 'all' pens available here at FPN. As it stands now (From my point of view) there are some major pen manufactures left out, three I can think of right off hand.

If the 'Brand Focus' section would list nine brands (As shown in this poll) and one section for 'Others' we should please everyone, and the the Brand Focus topic should come to an end.

Hawk :)

If the 'Brand Focus' section would list nine brands (As shown in this poll) and one section for 'Others' we should please everyone, and the the Brand Focus topic should come to an end.

Hawk :)

"Other" eh?

Isn't that what the "Writing Instruments" forum (this one that we're in right now) is for?

ps: I really do appreciate your keen efforts to help the administration of this site though :D

Edited by kissing

I simply can't pick a favorite. Of those listed I'd have to say that Pelikan, Waterman and Shaeffer would be the manufacturers whose fountain pens I have a bunch of, but I'd also have to add Kaweco to that list.

In addition, I only have the "lower end" (read less expensive) models from those manufacturers. But those are the ones that I really use and they're the ones that, to me, represent the best value. The writing is what matters the most to me. Those three manufacturers have sold me fountain pens that write well.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

This poll is too open ended for me...

In vintage pens I love my Parkers and Sheaffers... just about equally... I regularly write with Snorkels, TDs and 51s....

As for modern pens, I don't own many... my regularly inked writers are Pelikans. My daughter was recently gifted a Bexley and it is a lovely pen and I would have no problem purchasing one if I were in the market for a new modern pen.

Odd choice for me because I listed one of their pens as the worst I had ever owned in a different poll

Its got to be Yard O Led.

The after sales service was suberb and all the work,exchanges and repairs were carried out with minimal fuss. I first rate company to deal with......However.....

Its a great shame the product sold needed to test this to such extremes.

These are NOT cheap pens and had I not been a pen person would have simply sent the pen back for a refund and moved on to another brand.

Ian.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I was using a montblanc starwalker, a parker sonnet and some cheap waterman phileas and pilot plumix before and I just monopolized a friends sailor 1911 silver sterling pen after reading a funny review

on this forum and although this isn't the same nib reviewed i have to say that i agree with it.

The sailor pen have the smoothest nib I've ever tried it's a real pleasure letting the nib glide on the paper.

And so sailor just became my favorite brand although I don't have enough money yet to buy one myself :roflmho: but next month it shall be mine. :bunny1:

I am voting for Lamy as I love that they are inexpensive and just plain good. I love my lamy Vista's with italic nibs, and that I don't have to protect them all the time. For a demonstrator style pen unbeatable for the money!

I have an Aurora with an italic nib but it always feels too precious with its case!